which boygroups benefited most from wanna one and x1 disbanding?

• which groups benefitted the most from wanna one and x1 disbanding?? 23

1. seventeen (4) 17%
    2. nct (10) 43%
    3. got7 (1) 4%
    4. nu'est (0) 0%
    5. txt (6) 26%
    6. ateez (3) 13%
    7. the boyz (7) 30%
    8. stray kids (4) 17%
    9. exo and bts (1) 4%
    10. none, all the fans went to stan the post-produce groups or became akgaes (5) 22%
    11. pentagon, victon, up10tion, astro, sf9 (1) 4%

Even if they were temporary, these two produce boygroups won over the hearts of korean and international fans, becoming some of the most popular groups right from the start.

-for example, wanna one managed to sell over 1M albums in 2017, when it was something only exo and bts could do during that time. koreans even called these 3 bgs the holy trinity of kpop.

- x1 held the record for best selling 4th gen album for quite some time and they still are the only 4th gen bg to spent at least more than 2 days on melon daily chart, the only one to chart on melon weekly chart and their debut album is the most streamed 4th gen album there too

then disbanment happened and we know how it ended for the members, most of them except nuest and kang daniel struggle to sell above 100k or even chart on bugs .

I wonder, where did the fans that managed to break so many records went to? they just didn't disappear, most of them if not all are still stanning kpop groups but looking at some of the post-x1 groups not even reaching 40k album sales, it's obvious they abandoned everything related to the produce groups.

my theory, based on pure observations as casual fan during that time, is that the big amount of wanna one that didn't became kang daniel solo stans went to support nu'est (even if they were already selling very well before minhyun rejoined them) and mostly seventeen. I say that because the year where w1 disbanded coincides with the year seventeen started to sell above 1M per album and completly won over their "competition", monsta x and got7 (I stanned got7 during that time and was very surprised how much 17 grew in short time, it was something really amazing). since then, we got the famous EBS.

then, x1 case was even more drastic and traumatic (to their fans) so their need for a new group to stan, one completly separated from x1 and everything related to mnet/the companies from the members, was bigger. We can see it on the way none of the post-x1 acts have managed to sell as much as Kang Daniel or nuest and how bad some are struggling rn. I think most of their ex fans went to stan nct (kick it was released on the perfect timing to attract fans towards 127, dream was cultivating an asian fandom since 2019 and then nct 2020 sealed the deal) and other 4th gen bgs like skz, tbz and txt (their growth in sales and attention was crazy).

this is not based only on sales, but also my personal experience, because I have seen TONS of tweets and comments where fans talk and joke about how they wouldn't have stanned nct if x1 didn't disband. they even thank these other bgs for saving them during such hard times...

ofc I'm not saying all these bgs wouldn't have gotten big if the produce bgs didn't disband, any fan can tell their growth was starting since even before and due to all their efforts, but the high jump that made them sell millions of albums and became the trend is something I don't think woud have happened as quickly if it wasn't for x1 and w1 leaving a big fanbase without a group to stan.

26b4d52d4d183a412ac0257b8a2125d39c7a2620.gifv#jungwoo de i carry you in my heart.2c49196975dc12e5a2f1357aeef4cfdb09ca3cb1.gifv

Edited 2 times, last by 4d-maknae ().

• if X1 would have existed right now they would be easily selling 1.5M atleast with an album... Their digitals were also pretty good (way ahead than other 4th gen bgs) with a song like flash. They also reached peak #1 on melon chart for some time which is something no other 4th gen bg has done yet...they would be crushing the competition...

Then disbanding suddenly has definitely resulted in 4th gen bg competition being so close to each other... Otherwise the #1 bg of this generation wouldn't have been a debate

• it was really hard times, especially because x1 fans were so mad at everything, they probably took out all their anger on you guys

Yup, I thought it was unfair for x1 but txt had nothing to do and we even got hate for ROTY they would have won even without that. And let's not talk about the rumors and fake screenshots about bh being the snitch to prop up their group.

X1 had such a short-lived but impressive life, nowadays bgs are still only breaking their records and not all of them as you know, digitals especially in this era are very hard to get and sustain if you're not a produce group or a gg

• Yup, I thought it was unfair for x1 but txt had nothing to do and we even got hate for ROTY they would have won even without that. And let's not talk about the rumors and fake screenshots about bh being the snitch to prop up their group.

X1 had such a short-lived but impressive life, nowadays bgs are still only breaking their records and not all of them as you know, digitals especially in this era are very hard to get and sustain if you're not a produce group or a gg

I was new in kpop fandom, tbh...it was a traumatic experience for me at that time with how X1 stans lashes their anger towards TXT, moa really a small fandom who can't defend ourselves. Hateful hashtag, even Soobin saw it. And I got bullied so badly just by write something like 'TXT ROTY', the worst year ever.... :sweatr:

• Yup, I thought it was unfair for x1 but txt had nothing to do and we even got hate for ROTY they would have won even without that. And let's not talk about the rumors and fake screenshots about bh being the snitch to prop up their group.

the hate was off the roof and TXT unfortunately, through no fault of their own, became the easy target for that hate. That’s when Soobin, to me, first showed his mettle and measure as a leader and the boys displayed strong mental fortitude. Forged by fire so to speak.

• I kind of agree. When Wanna One debuted the late 3rd generation, and early 4th generation took a huge hit on the face. I remember hearing tons of fansites shut down for a LOT of groups after W1’s debut. Seventeen was on a steady rise even after Wanna One’s debut, but after their disbanded— despite their steady rise, I feel like they benefited since right after W1, they were the next runner up and they immediately grew bigger by two times in one go.

Though I don’t think X1 would’ve hindered Seventeen much due the huge growth they displayed in 2019, X1 would’ve been a huge issue for the 4th generation groups. TXT, Stray Kids, and Ateez probably would’ve have been overshadowed by X1, if they didn’t disband. We would’ve probably ended up with another Post-Wanna One impact, where it would’ve set a huge gap between them and a lot of groups for the next couple years. X1 only had the chance to promote their debut album, which had already set the bar high and its records are only slowly being broken now. For fourth generation, I would say TXT, Straykids and Ateez benefitted the most.

• TXT

I would disagree with this. Look at how many akgaes Woodz, Lee Jinhyuk, and Wooseok have. Mirae, Ghost9, Drippin, WEi, BAE173, Cravity, etc. are all mildly successful as well.

TXT didn't need X1's disbandment to be successful at all. It took them MONTHS to pass X1's followers on Melon.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I kind of agree. When Wanna One debuted the late 3rd generation, and early 4th generation took a huge hit on the face. I remember hearing tons of fansites shut down for a LOT of groups after W1’s debut. Seventeen was on a steady rise even after Wanna One’s debut, but after their disbanded— despite their steady rise, I feel like they benefited since right after W1, they were the next runner up and they immediately grew bigger by two times in one go.

Though I don’t think X1 would’ve hindered Seventeen much due the huge growth they displayed in 2019, X1 would’ve been a huge issue for the 4th generation groups. TXT, Stray Kids, and Ateez probably would’ve have been overshadowed by X1, if they didn’t disband. We would’ve probably ended up with another Post-Wanna One impact, where it would’ve set a huge gap between them and a lot of groups for the next couple years. X1 only had the chance to promote their debut album, which had already set the bar high and its records are only slowly being broken now. For fourth generation, I would say TXT, Straykids and Ateez benefitted the most.

A ton of X1 fans were Korean, and the only groups that have seen a BIG jump in Korean fandom was TXT due to Run Away and TBZ due to Road to Kingdom and Kingdom.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!