Knetz react to PTD being performed in the UN General Assembly

• The main resonance of this year event was Youth, Generation, overcoming the pandemic, Climate change, spreading positivity, upliftment of humanity.

Permission to dance precisely covered all these topic with lyrics, choreo, theme, sets.

Of course, BTS won't perform Blood, sweat & tears or Fake Love or Boy with luv or Black Swan.

Or I am missing something though? :whatb:

Or I might be missing something, I could not read those themes "Youth, Generation, overcoming the pandemic, Climate change, spreading positivity, upliftment of humanity." in the lyrics of PTD.

Unless Youth is equated with rebellion and not needing permissions.

Choreo/theme/sets will not survive for posterity as much as lyrics and music. And lyrics alone will carry any messages.

Edit: Also another reason is PTD is English, even outside the debates around Kpop groups doing English, UN as a specific case was an opportunity to represent S.Korea/Korean.

Still minor cribs, massive recognition.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Um, I don't get how PTD doesn't fit? It's about going through something tough like the pandemic, realizing that you don't have to put everything on hold, taking charge and being the ones to move forward. It even specifically calls out youth in the song.

A snippet of the lyrics:

It's the thought of being young

When your heart's just like a drum

Beating louder with no way to guard it

We don't need to worry

'Cause when we fall, we know how to land

Don't need to talk the talk, just walk the walk tonight

'Cause we don't need permission to dance

There's always something that's standing in the way

But if you don't let it faze ya

You'll know just how to break

Just keep the right vibe, yeah

'Cause there's no looking back

There ain't no one to prove

We don't got this on lock (Yeah)

The wait is over

The time is now so let's do it right, mm (Yeah)

Yeah, we'll keep going

And stay up until we see the sunri-i-ise (Yeah)

That we can keep the fire alive, mm

'Cause it's not over

'Til it's over, say it one more time

• Well it is subjective.

As motivational pep talk.. sure.

But ONLY my opinion and based on preceding performances in UN - perhaps greater themes of humanity/universalism would be apt - like Spring Day and its Omelas reference.

Anyway, these are subjective opinions, it is fine if you think it is fine. They have made their choice and done.

• Or I might be missing something, I could not read those themes "Youth, Generation, overcoming the pandemic, Climate change, spreading positivity, upliftment of humanity." in the lyrics of PTD.

Unless Youth is equated with rebellion and not needing permissions.

What? You really can't see the themes of spreading positivity and overcoming the pandemic in PTD? At that point that's not an opinion, it's just bad faith.

PTD is not about rebellion at all. It seems like you just read the title of the song and formed your opinion of the lyrics on it.

• Their performance was great as always. The songs message was a perfect compliment to the message they delivered in their speeches.

Tell'em Bangtan is dancing on the floor!

Steam Community :: :: BTS

• What? You really can't see the themes of spreading positivity and overcoming the pandemic in PTD? At that point that's not an opinion, it's just bad faith.

PTD is not about rebellion at all. It seems like you just read the title of the song and formed your opinion of the lyrics on it.

Art is subject to interpretation, if some one does not interpret the same way as you do, they don't become an actor of bad faith.

It is this sort of jumping to conclusions that taints ARMY's reputation.

But still to answer - positivity, yes in general.

Pandemic - I don't see any specific content.

Again subjective takes.

But guess some can't handle any opinion about the subject.

I will stop.

• When you are criticizing them for it, of course that deserves response. And if you watched the MV, it was clear the song was about overcoming the pandemic. This is NOT an opinion. There were people taking off masks in it and well as a newspaper that point blank displayed a headline about the pandemic and also this:

pasted-from-clipboard.jpg

Those are the letters scrambled. It is very clear it is about the pandemic. Perhaps you are the one jumping to your interpretation without a bit of research? Consider that.

• I really dont understand the hate for this song. If BTS had released this bop instead of Dyna, there wouldve been lasting peace between me and some Armys on this forum lol.

• I really dont understand the hate for this song. If BTS had released this bop instead of Dyna, there wouldve been lasting peace between me and some Armys on this forum lol.

We so rarely agree. On the momentous occasion that we do, since I loved PTD too, I had to comment. Cheers!

• When you are criticizing them for it, of course that deserves response. And if you watched the MV, it was clear the song was about overcoming the pandemic. This is NOT an opinion. There were people taking off masks in it and well as a newspaper that point black talked about the pandemic and also this:

pasted-from-clipboard.jpg

Those are the letter scrambled. It is very clear it is about the pandemic. Perhaps you are the one jumping to your interpretation without a bit of research? Consider that.

I wasn't aware of the scramble.. Thanks.

Nice one.

My response was to the other user who jumped to accuse me of 'bad faith'. Instead of simply giving me such info.

If ignorance of such clues, is enough to cause ARMY to allege bad faith, then such behavior would make for ArrogantRMY than AdorableRMY.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There are few more.

Gilberto Gil

MS.Subbulakshmi

• We so rarely agree. On the momentous occasion that we do, since I loved PTD too, I had to comment. Cheers!

Well we might end up doing another round of cheers when Coldplay/BTS comes out in a few days lol. I have a soft spot for the group, i dunno much about them except for their hit singles but their sound reminds me of one of my alltime fave rock bands, U2. And then if you add in the fact that TXT left a lasting mark with me with their 2 SOTY contenders containing that great emo rock/kpop fusion sound...

Kpop/rock fusion is obviously my personal kryptonite.

And the thought of me having to put a second BTS single in the "bop" category for this year, it's just eww schoooool-noooo.gif

• I don't think we were aware that you hadn't seen the MV which is very clear about it and I think that is where most were coming from cause honestly, after the MV, you'd kinda have to be blind not to see it. But now I realize that it makes more sense that you hadn't seen it, saying what you did.

Either way, this doesn't need to get heated. I think we all felt attacked and we didn't need to let it get to that.

• Well we might end up doing another round of cheers when Coldplay/BTS comes out in a few days lol. I have a soft spot for the group, i dunno much about them except for their hit singles but their sound reminds me of one of my alltime fave rock bands, U2. And then if you add in the fact that TXT left a lasting mark with me with their 2 SOTY contenders containing that great emo rock/kpop fusion sound...

Kpop/rock fusion is obviously my personal kryptonite.

And the thought of me having to put a second BTS single in the "bop" category for this year, it's just eww schoooool-noooo.gif

You were doing so well until the last line.

ffs-baby.gif

• I don't think we were aware that you hadn't seen the MV which is very clear about it and I think that is where most were coming from cause honestly, after the MV, you'd kinda have to be blind not to see it. But now I realize that it makes more sense that you hadn't seen it, saying what you did.

Either way, this doesn't need to get heated. I think we all felt attacked and we didn't need to let it get to that.

Unfortunately lot of discussions here, and regd BTS is always dealt in attack-counter attack mode.

In this thread I had replied that MV, Choreo, sets are less relevant to the longevity of message, than music and most importantly lyrics.

Lennon's Imagine or the Indian song lyrics stand valid even after decades for the 'universality' of their message and the culture they represent.

In that sense I still think BTS has better songs than PTD in Korean and of lyrical depth.

Still if they were specifically requested for a Pandemic specific performance, then I guess it would be PTD.

Anyway it is already done. Hopefully they may have other chances to showcase at such levels in future.

• I understand where you are coming from and perhaps in another year when the COVID pandemic is behind rather than still in front of us, that'd be something to consider.

But for this year, I think it's very appropriate because among the pressing topics discussed at the UNGA, the pandemic is huge global concern and one of BTS' primary objectives to encourage youth to get vaccinated for our future.

I do agree though that they have many songs that would very much fit the type of universal message that others have gone for in the past.

• PTD was the perfect song for this moment, IMO. We don't always have to agree with BTS but their judgment about their own work counts for something. A song doesn't have to always be serious and super deep to be meaningful.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!