Is Psycho the greatest career comeback in recent history?

• With the release of Bad Boy, they further cemented themselves as a top 3 girl group. A peak of #2 on Gaon, decent longevity, it's performance was cute.

tumblr_p3b9oyj3Vk1tizu4so4_540.gifv

Their following release, Power Up ended up achieving a PAK. While doing decently in longevity department, it showed that people were still checking for them. A small hit i guess. Everything was going right for the Russian Roulette chanteuses.

tumblr_pd1bwoZEYH1xqd377o5_r1_540.gifv

Now when everything started going DOWNHILL was with the release of RBB. Referred to as one of RV's worst title tracks, it ended up peaking at #10. Which is not that bad in the grand scheme of things, but for their standards it was an underperformance considering most of their title tracks up until then would peak in the top 5.

And it didn't do any better in the longevity department, charting for a mere 9 weeks in the top 100 of Gaon. Well....one underperformance isn't that bad, right?

I personally think it's a great, camp song and did not deserve the hate it got.

-Red-Velvet-Really-Bad-Boy-MV-red-velvet-41709861-540-226.gif

Just when you think things couldn't get any worse, here they come with Zimzalawhat. Many KPOP fans now think it's a chaotic cult classic, but that wasn't the case at first. It did a bit better than RBB in the longevity department, charting for 12 weeks in the Gaon top 100, but overall it wasn't that great.

tumblr_ptcbvcJ9jB1tizu4so1_540.gifv

Well....2 underperformances in the bag. The next one is sure to be a hit, right?

WRONG.

Peaking at only #18 on Gaon Digital, it felt like it was the final nail in RV's coffin.

It just barely surpassed RBB's total weeks in the Gaon top 100, with a total of...10. Welp.

"Third time's a charm", they say. Well it wasn't for them. Clearly the GP didn't think it was "something unforgettable".

original.gif

So....here they were. Everyone thought their career was over. Back to back underperformances, RBB and Zimzalabim weren't really positively received quality-wise either. What was next for the "My supa rookie rookie rookie" songstresses?

tumblr_inline_omtkzzaCnp1reutx6_400.gifv

But with the release of Psycho, suddenly they were performing like their pre-RBB days. Commonly referred to as one of the BEST KPOP songs of all time, the comeback's performance seemed unreal. It was a MIRACLE. So many people thought they were DONE for as a group. It was their 'We Belong Together' moment, you may say.

Peak of #2 on Gaon. Showed insane LONGEVITY and a HIGH PEAK. #9 on the Gaon 2020 YEC. And when all was said and done, it ended up being their 2nd biggest hit after Red Flavor. That was with little to no promotion(due to Wendy's injury, sadly).

The song is also arguably their biggest song internationally to date.

056180a5421cb146bdbca52a565f4a9ec087cec1.gifv

With all the receipts posted, was Psycho the greatest KPOP career comeback in recent memory?

tumblr_osyztj9GH71uck6qpo2_400.gif

• Everyone, I love Red Velvet but I hate Zimzalawhat and Umpah Umpah so I had to drag it.

But the main point wasn't to just start bashing them, but to demonstrate how Psycho's performance was really amazing considering they came off of 3 underperformances and many people thought they were over at that point. This is kind of rare and I don't think any group will serve this kind of unexpected comeback anytime soon.

tumblr_osyztj9GH71uck6qpo2_400.gif

• In recent history yes

• OP how could hurt me like that with your umpah umpah and zimzalabim hate agenda ;(</3

• They had at least 2 songs that were complete flops, not underperformers but flops.

To comeback with a top 10 hit on the year end charts and would have easily got a pak if not for another huge hit happening at the same time. Yes I would say.

They were what? 6 years old at that point and dropped their 2nd biggest hit probably? Thats quite a massive feat.

5 years old, but everything else you said is correct.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• No lmfao?

They were going downhill sure but dont believe going from hit to underperformances to hit makes it a big career comeback. They just stopped releasing bad songs.

• For the people who don't get the point of the thread: it's not that the song was the biggest career comeback in like numbers or something like that, but more so considering the circumstances under which Psycho was released. I remember when prediction videos were all the rage back in 2019 and literally everybody talked about how Red Velvet will flop and disband and whatnot. Like literally everybody, even ReVeluv, started to lose faith in Red Velvet as hit makers and nobody expected them to come with the BANG that was Psycho after 3 whole flops, which is basically a whole year of flops. For a relatively fast paced industry like K-Pop, with lots of comebacks from lots of groups each year, that's a big deal.

So yes, considering the circumstances, I agree that Psycho was one of the greatest career comebacks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!