Are these lyrics gay?

• I'm kinda shocked by these lyrics written by Hongjoong, because he said boy, not girl. Some are saying it means he likes boys or something 8|

But some are saying he's telling the girl to say "boy i can't let you go" to him. I don't care either way ;-)

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i guess it just depends on how you see it, both work anyways so :whistling:

• If he actually would be than :pepe-excited: congrats for your accidantal comming out

And if he is hetero than its ok too

because why should you care? You are not him

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Does it matter?

Yeah because if it really is gay, then it's pretty reassuring for their LGBT fans to feel included and "seen" I guess. It's unheard of for kpop idols to express same-sex love. I wish they could do it more freely.

• I don't know the song but I reading the lyrics makes 'boy' sounds like an interjection. Like when someone says 'boy is it hot in here !'

But Idk, english isn't my first language.

• It’s most likely some lines kept from the original demo. That’s what I’ll guess.

But I think if people want to interpret it in certain way they should do it. Art is always up for interpretation. Regardless of the original intent.

And we will never hear the original intent if it was LGBT anyway. So interpret away I say!

• It’s most likely some lines kept from the original demo. That’s what I’ll guess.

But I think if people want to interpret it in certain way they should do it. Art is always up for interpretation. Regardless of the original intent.

And we will never hear the original intent if it was LGBT anyway. So interpret away I say!

hmmm I don't think so? Because he writes his own raps, but you could be right. I think people can see it however they want. Like with GIDLE's song Oh my god, where they sing about a girl. Some see it as lesbian, some don't.

• Yeah because if it really is gay, then it's pretty reassuring for their LGBT fans to feel included and "seen" I guess. It's unheard of for kpop idols to express same-sex love. I wish they could do it more freely.

I have no opinion on this lyric cuz I really don't know, but I do like when we see idols showing support and more openness about lgbtq issues. Like, I really liked OnlyOneOf's LibidO partially for that reason.

• I have no opinion on this lyric cuz I really don't know, but I do like when we see idols showing support and more openness about lgbtq issues. Like, I really liked OnlyOneOf's LibidO partially for that reason.

Hongjoong supports LGBT. He said it at a fansign. Makes me happy since I'm bi. I don't care if he's straight, bi, gay, asexual, whatever. Just happy that he supports the community.

• Lyrics are words, they don't have a sexual preference. The true discussion is two-fold, it's the intent that the writer had behind the words, and it's the way the listener interprets them.

For the writer's intent, it's hard to say unless they actually tell us.

For the listener's interpretation, that's a heavily personal thing and can vary from listener to listener. Take from it whatever you want to take from it, because that's how you feel.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• I don't know the song but I reading the lyrics makes 'boy' sounds like an interjection. Like when someone says 'boy is it hot in here !'

But Idk, english isn't my first language.

I guess there are multiple interpretations but that's actually the one I thought initially, and I'm a native English speaker. 'Boy' is often used as an interjection/exclamation in English without referring to an actual boy, and 'man' can also be used like that too. Because Ateez and some other groups have been consistently praised for using gender neutral language in their songs to be inclusive, why would Hongjoong really use it in the gendered way like he's referring to someone else?

On the other hand, maybe 'boy' is actually referring to himself? Like, "tell me baby, 'boy, I can't let you go' ", so he wants them to tell him that. In that case, the listener is still neutral, which is consistent with how they usually operate.

protector of the gharqad tree

tumblr_lkl136Bxsg1qbvbvxo1_500.gif

Edited once, last by blackjackdirecti ().

• Ateez and some other groups have been consistently praised for using gender neutral language in their songs to be inclusive, why would Hongjoong really use it in the gendered way like he's referring to someone else?

Hongjoong actually wrote a song for their new album, the song is called All about you, and in that song he included the word "girl"

2:20

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hongjoong actually wrote a song for their new album, the song is called All about you, and in that song he included the word "girl"

2:20

External Content www.youtube.com

oh okay :thumbup: . I feel my interpretation is still the second theory I mentioned because of the specific context, though

protector of the gharqad tree

tumblr_lkl136Bxsg1qbvbvxo1_500.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!