What's the end goal for JYPE pushing Twice west?

• dizzcity ,

I think it's a mistake to ask for suggestions of specific and direct actions when the criticism is about the broad-strokes strategy as a whole. That broad strategy is what dictates everything else, after all.

If Stan's belief about JYPE's strategy is correct, then besides the self-serving attempt at using Twice as leverage into the western market (which... I don't buy that because JYPE has always had the biggest western connections out of the Big 3), they have at least identified the need to expand Twice's market. And I think that's correct. I don't think they should be playing to the same dwindling crowd. However I don't think targeting across geographic lines is the answer.

Aside: I don't agree that JYPE's strategy is to target the west. I frankly don't know what their strategy is besides chasing whatever trend is popular at the moment. They seem utterly rudderless. If you can find the common artistic throughline or commercial intent behind the progression of More & More->I Can't Stop Me->Alcohol-Free, then I'd love to hear it, but it seems to me that these are just totally random songs that target different audiences to varying degrees of success.

But that's irrelevant, right? If we agree that expanding the audience is the goal but aiming westerward isn't the solution, then what is?

It's going to take a lot of words to explain, so I'm going to save that for the next post.

TLDR:

• They need to target the broader music audience outside of k-pop partly by promoting on shows with an older demographic but also by releasing songs that are far from the k-pop "idol dance music" template.
    • Solo members need to release dramatically differing music with collaborations outside of the k-pop bubble, Japanese members should have more activities in Japanese media, Tzuyu should model more.
    • They need to shock the public with a song that screams, "You don't know Twice" all at once. Just rip the cute bandaid off instead of being half-in-half out.
  • I'm going to focus on Twice as of the end of 2019, for reasons that should become obvious if they aren't already. Lets look at the key problems they faced at that moment in time.

That's a lot, that I done wrote.

Hindsight?

Maybe.

But a lot of this is based on conversations I had on this forum with Stan and Cherry-Boy before More & More even came out.

• What makes you think this? Outside of JYP's earlier foray into the scene I don't think I've seen anything in the last few years that would insinuate JYPE have had the better connections out west in recent years. Maybe once upon time yes.

Or if they did there was no demand for it hence they just sat on it.

• What makes you think this? Outside of JYP's earlier foray into the scene I don't think I've seen anything in the last few years that would insinuate JYPE have had the better connections out west in recent years. Maybe once upon time yes.

Or if they did there was no demand for it hence they just sat on it.

Connections last a very long time imo.

As late as 2016, when Conan wanted to meme his way into a k-pop song, it was JYP that he went with.

Unlike all the other agencies, JYPE existed as an entity within the USA once upon a time, JYP worked inside the western pop industry, and even outside of music, he dealt with executives at Nickelodeon. Old powerful white people live forever, they're going to remember this dude. And they know he plays by their rules (unlike HYBE which is a literal threat and competitor to their hegemony).

I don't want to say that Wonder Girls failed, because I think that's a bullshit narrative that ignores the fact that they (along with Rain, another JYP artist) were massively more successful overseas than any other k-pop group in history. They were the first k-pop group that most people outside of Korea had he-

Well, that's besides the point. The "failure" or the bad timing, whatever, made JYPE gunshy about the west even with the foundation that they had established. The inclusion of Japanese members in Twice is a very transparent indication of their new international target. Which has culminated in NiziU.

But the western foundation is still there, and hearing his talk from way back, I always assumed that the end goal was to create a group within the USA, composed of Americans, probably multi-ethnic.

I genuinely think that whatever "push" Twice has in the west is more as a result of Republic wanting some slice of the international k-pop pie than anything else. They ARE the third biggest group internationally no matter how unlikely that seems. I don't think it was on purpose, I don't think JYPE did anything to help it happen. The Feels feels like a Republic project to me. And JYPE said "yes" because they don't have any better ideas.

Like, even from the beginning, it's hard for me to imagine JYPE were searching for a label in the USA. I think they were approached.

• This is a very good post and I've added in bold some additional thoughts (I find the new AKP hard to navigate when it comes to dissecting posts)

• JYP speaks English and is definitely the more well known for his song-writing/producing then any of the other faces of the major labels. Teddy has always been there but has only become more of the face since Yang Hyun-suk stepped away.

I just think - if they had the connections you think they do, why is Twice's western promo as poor as it has been? The same with all JYPE groups. How has he not managed to grab anything "big" so to speak for his groups in recent years when kpop is more popular than ever in the west? SM have been doing collabs with western artists for years such as Snoop Dogg and John Legend, with groups signed on western labels. YG have musical and non-musical connections, have had acts going to Coachella since 2016, partnerships with Live Nation etc.

If JYPE have the best connections then they've had nothing to show from it for years in an era when some level of western success is more attainable than ever. Logically that just makes no sense to me. All their groups haven't even got decent distribution yet.

• What a great thread so far. I especially liked tenfour 's point about Kpop fandom cycles. Every Kpop fan at some point or another has predicted the doom or end of Kpop, calling it a fad that will die when their faves disband lol. They dont realize that just as their faves finish activities after 7 or so years, an entire new age cohort has entered the prime Kpop fandom years (12 to 25), who have grown up stanning their own idols and groups who are newer and younger. For every random K pop fan that has aged out and left Kpop, another eager middle or HS student has eagerly jumped down the rabbit hole of Vlives, YT fanservice vids, and all that comes with being a Kpop fan.

• jype has no idea how to promote twice to western audience and it’s showing, the feels is gonna be a bop but i doubt it’s gonna achieve the results they’re aiming for. solo instagram accounts would be the best start, but unpopular members fans who have no idea how marketing works don’t want them to have their accounts cause then there will be definite metrics showing who the unpopular ones are lol

B86D7ED6-F035-4C03-B84A-1A46B62788B7.jpeg

• jype has no idea how to promote twice to western audience and it’s showing, the feels is gonna be a bop but i doubt it’s gonna achieve the results they’re aiming for.

What benefit will this English single bring the group and girls in the long run against multiple other avenues they could be chasing as a group/individuals? Outside of benefiting the company and bringing them more connections I see next to none.

What will TWICE members gain from getting the little Western exposure and pittance they are getting.

They gain a few but the standout remain

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• They gain a few but the standout remain

External Content twitter.com

I know it's wonderful. And I'm so happy for them. It's a wonderful achievement.

My comment was more in the context of future career opportunity in the West.

And that sacrificing Korean focus for Western promotion doesn't make as much sense for them long term.

As they will have little chance of having long term career opportunity in the English speaking West in the same way they do on Korea and Asia.

In my opinion they should maximize Korean focus to ensure future viability at home.

★ RESIDENT TZUYU FANBOY ★

TWICE ★ SNSDWEEEKLY ★ WOO!AH!

WZDCfEj.jpg

• Ahh it is okay, eman. I dont disagree with you

I am just trying to spread positivity as of right now hehe

:happyr::happyr::happyr:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!