Korean's using Spotify won't be able to listen to a lot of KPOP group and soloist

• Korean's using Spotify won't be able to listen to artists under KakaoM(Melon)...

Artists include:

IU

The Boyz

Weeekly

BOL4

Apink

Cube, PlayM, Starship artists, etc...

Not only that,apparently all groups that are distributed by KakaoM aren't on Spotify... That's a lot of big names

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm curious about the OSTs and trot singers though. Will they remain loyal to Melon/Genie/Flo/Vibe/Bugs or will they join Spotify?

Spotify could end up really skewing the charts in Korea.

The interesting thing is currently in Korea the most used and populated music service as of 2020 is actually Youtube Music services and that's not reflected on ichart or Gaon as far as I know.

So even if Spotify rises to prominance in Korea I wonder will it also be ignored in favor of the more traditional, and dying, established services such as Melon and Genie?

• So the fans of those artists will listen to them somewhere else and the fans of the other multitude of artists still on Korean Spotify will stay .

• Official Post

Makes sense considering they're rivals, KakaoM doesn't want to lose Melon to Spotify so easily.

Basically, anyone who has their music distributed by KakaoM(that's like 30-40% of KPOP lmao) wont have their music available on Spotify.

Those include artists under, DSP Media, CUBE Ent, Jellyfish Ent, FNC ent, Pledis Ent, MBK Ent, Polaris Ent(where LOONA is), Woolim Ent, Brand New Music(where AB6IX are), HappyFace Ent(where Dreamcatcher are), Source Music(where GFRIEND are), among others.

IU is like a REALLY big artist in SK so they're probably losing out on alot of users. Will be interesting to see how Spotify in Korea fares in it's initial phase.

• Are you sure Cube is under kakao F9FE284B-D4D2-4629-8D93-68EA6436DD3F.jpeg

• The interesting thing is currently in Korea the most used and populated music service as of 2020 is actually Youtube Music services and that's not reflected on ichart or Gaon as far as I know.

So even if Spotify rises to prominance in Korea I wonder will it also be ignored in favor of the more traditional, and dying, established services such as Melon and Genie?

Even in the west Spotify/apple music has more importance than YouTube and pretty much world over YouTube has a larger audience base.

• Even in the west Spotify/apple music has more importance than YouTube and pretty much world over YouTube has a larger audience base.

Yes but YT music has grown massively in Korea over the last couple of years and Melon, Genie, Soribada, Naver/Vibe, etc have been losing userbase but YT still, afaik, isn't counted on charts in Korea in spite of having the highest current market share.

Even in most western countries I think YT Music is in some way reflected on the charts.

I suspect with Spotify YT will see a decrease in userbase in favor of Spotify and with Apple Music slowly rising too. I think the reason YT music has been doing well recently is it has a better library for international music which is getting more popular in Korea and honestly and actual up to date up/interface, something missing from most Korean music services currently.

I am going to say now(not that anyone will likely still be here on this site by then) but in the next 3-5 years Spotify will have the highest market share in Korea.

• Dreamcatcher, Seventeen, and GFRIEND are on Spotify Korea

• It will not. Spotify offers nothing that other cheaper music services do not.

Netflix for example offers original content. YouTube is a platform we are used to beyond music as well. It’s popularity will always be unprecedented and everyone’s primary source of music. Spotify on the other hand has nothing extra. I mean I guess you can count the original podcasts but again not nearly as alluring.

• It will not. Spotify offers nothing that other cheaper music services do not.

Netflix for example offers original content. YouTube is a platform we are used beyond music as well. It’s popularity will always be unprecedented and everyone primary source of music. Spotify on the other hand has nothing extra. I mean I guess you can count the original podcasts but again not nearly as alluring.

Spotify has basic things a lot of Korean music services lack such as curated playlist, artist playlist, radio stations, podcast, music premieres, tour links, etc a lot of basic features missing on music services currently available.

Also Melon currently cost 11400W for a month pass which is about 10 bucks, so assuming Spotify Korea is the same as other countries that's pretty much the same price right?

Granted I think it cost about 500w less if you sign up for a full year, but I would assume most people don't pay up front and opt for a rolling month to month sub.

• interesting i wonder if there any anti competitive or trust laws in Korea which prevent this...

My thoughts exactly, afterall those same artist are already on competing platforms such as Genie, Flo, Apple Music and what not....

• Spotify has basic things a lot of Korean music services lack such as curated playlist, artist playlist, radio stations, podcast, music premieres, tour links, etc a lot of basic features missing on music services currently available.

Also Melon currently cost 11400W for a month pass which is about 10 bucks, so assuming Spotify Korea is the same as other countries that's pretty much the same price right?

Granted I think it cost about 500w less if you sign up for a full year, but I would assume most people don't pay up front and opt for a rolling month to month sub.

Those are secondary services that add to user experience.

Not original content. You’ll see Spotify will make no moves in Korea.

• My thoughts exactly, afterall those same artist are already on competing platforms such as Genie, Flo, Apple Music and what not....

exactly which means that melon/kakao is using their market power to prevent their artists on a rival streaming platform...

but I don't know enough of Korean laws to comment further...

Hey where are my Korean lawyers at???? :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!