I'm really mad about Red Velvet's comeback

• I knew when these concept photos were released we were doomed:

Red Velvet: Queendom Album Review | Pitchfork

Do you think this looks like a teaser a 7 year girl group should be putting out? this is terrible. It is so gloomy and bad taste of the person that decided this fit Queendom. Queendom is about them being queens, glamor, not carnival rejects. The big construction truck is an eye sore. It's just a really bad teaser all out and doesn't make sense with the Queendom comeback! can you believe this is the photo for their album cover?!

Pre-Order - Red Velvet The 6th Mini Album - Queendom (Queens Ver.) – SM  Global Shop

It's UGLY! Where was the dark female girl boss purple slay in the MV?!

The other teasers are pretty:

Red Velvet continues to prepare for their comeback this month with new  group teaser photos for 'Queendom' | allkpop

But did we get this in the title track? no. Queendom is cute, it sounds like a b-side though. Not a title track, and I know why this comeback felt safe, the members solo debuts and schedules made the staff rush to find a concept and pick out good b-sides and title track material. After RV had to go out hiatus there was no time to prepare for a comeback. Answer this, how does a side project get more money and budget than the actual comeback?

This Wendy Queens Archive is better than this whole comeback:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The styling as well, so why didn't we get this in queendom?

Queendom is NOT a bad song. It is catchy and a nice listen while your driving on the highway in your car! but compare this comeback to zimzalabim or even red flavor?! they came back when SUMMER was over! it's time to go back to work and run off coffee! not time to groove.

One gripe I have with this song is the unessesary bad rapping! It ruins the song! It sounds exactly like a b-side! now to get to the actual b-sides, I didn't hate the b-sides, but I wasn't living. Pose? it's not giving rupaul gay drag race slay that it was suppose to give. I wasn't gagging.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Wendy Carried this song a lot with her singing and she is the star of this comeback to me personally. I do not understand the concept either, it is a queendom but we are inviting kings? I don't understand, also what happened to don't call me 2.0 teasers? where was that in the MV? :S I'm not living and I am very upset.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• the hux is that mention of ru paul whatever lol

295a14b181fd30f82f2e80787fa1227d201a688c.gifv

932109517d3a0f40d17370d14120aac0e4bb2f35.gifv

e359554f7bc0bbb1762eb044c287c52d617193e0.gifv

607fac4fd722bffb73afd16c2b8392a83d897752.gifv

60ffe95d2b6d5ab9808d7c58f43ff6c23c0e9b0f.gifv

08d4fabb4ca554dbdf7dba6e1b27e5016ba83a60.gifv

• girl I understand you. This was supposed to be RV's grand comeback after a long hiatus but it felt very meh. RV Irene and Seulgi's debut was so so so much better

MV is actually very good

the song is ok, but musically far away from Psycho level

• Facts! Look, I'm an RV apologist. I have defended all their songs till this day, but with Queendom I draw the line. Those promotional photos are horrendous, to quote Gia Gun, was there no budget this time around??

As for the song itself, in a summer where everyone is bringing bops, this is the best they could come up with? The lyrics are something out of an after school special and if it wasn't for Wendy it would be impossible to listen. And I hope they've learned to never ask Irene to "rap" again, she just doesn't have the range, and that's fine! She's great in many other ways. Actually, none of them have the voice for it, we don't need rap break in every song.

As for the B sides, they were pretty good as always, except... Pose. They thought they were giving us Ballroom, but instead what we got was kindergarten's parking lot.

• Thanks for sharing your perspectives. Yes, I think they should explore more melodic "sing rapping" rather than "talk rapping". It would flow better. Although the songs are above the K-Pop average, none on this album are for my catalog in their current state.

I'm indifferent about the pictures. From the outside looking in though, "Psycho" had more "queen spectrum" 'fits. SME should have either met or went a step above that bar for the MV and queen photos. Even the MV was lacking consistently glam "queen spectrum" 'fits. The listeners may be disappointed if they came with "queen spectrum" 'fits because it might make them think another song like "Psycho" is on the album...still should have had more consistently appealing 'fits though.

Edited once, last by DMV2DMZ ().

• seemss like your more biased towards darker concepts.....anywho, queendom is not their best comeback for me either. it's not bad its just lackluster and for a group like red velvet whose concept is no concept, I feel even a polarizing song would.have been more up their alley than a lackluster one. in conclusion, I don't expect to listen to red velvet and feel nothing but that's what I feel with queendom. no love, no hate, nothing.

• I agree. This was such a disappointing return to the scene for them. I already thought the reve trilogy was pretty boring but this too? I'm suffering.

Pose? it's not giving rupaul gay drag race slay that it was suppose to give. I wasn't gagging.

They really threw in a dated f(x) track from the vault for them :sleeping:

tumblr_p31tdhVucT1tcnqfpo3_r1_400.gifv tumblr_p31tdhVucT1tcnqfpo1_400.gifv tumblr_p31tdhVucT1tcnqfpo4_r1_400.gifv

Taeyeon Tiffany Red Velvet Sunmi Twice fromis_9 Purple Kiss

• I agree. Not a RV fan but I support them and was excited for the cb. Then the teasers pics dropped and my hype died. Looked like boring pics from magazine shootings, the mood was dark and definitely not doing justice to their "summer queens" title, just looking at them makes me feel sad. The other set of teasers are better but basic, similar to what I've seen from weeekly or cherry bullet

Now the song and mv were just forgettable. The song isn't bad, not even close, but the worst case happened: it wasn't even memorable and sounds like a shopping mall bgm. The Mv made it worse, even rookie mv had more impact and made the song better. This time the opposite happened, the mv is so boring and full of non-sense that I skip it when it comes out on my youtube playlist.

Now about the choreo, I can't even remember a key point despite watching Taeyong's tiktok and their music bank stage.

It was all so basic and the promotions aren't doing it justice. Idk why they aren't performing a bside on music shows and why their performance was before groups like tbz ?? Usually the older group closes the show and gets a lot of time. Isn't a big deal but it adds to this "big RV cb" being a non-event for me. Queendom doesn't really feel like their return from a long hiatus, just a random promo cycle between albums...

• I really like Queendom but the song is just fine, after almost 2 years I was expecting something more exciting and not Psycho type of song at all because I know RV is so versatile and that song ain’t their peak in therms of music quality.

• My theory is that I'm not sure we can still expect huge bops like Psycho or Red Flavor for them because?...

Well because Sm has a new girl group now!

Now for SM, It's time for aespa to shine, so it's okay giving to Red Velvet something just fine but not a soty material. When RV was their only gg, they give them mega bops.

SM don't need it anymore, and they wouldn't want RV to overshadow their new investment aka aespa.

I get it honestly. New group comes and it's their time to shine now just like it happened with SNSD and RV.

But I'm still very saddened because it was a long awaited return from an endless hiatus and dreadful events for RV and we don't know for how long they will be gone after that. Or if they will disband after these year so this long awaited comeback/goodbye release feels very bittersweet.

ps: I loved Pose though :-P and the teasers except the carnaval one which felt like a 2019 release were gorgeous, i was very hyped! I was actually expecting a Russian Roulette 2.0. Instead I got a Umpah umpah 2.0 :boredr: :wellr:

• It was all so basic and the promotions aren't doing it justice. Idk why they aren't performing a bside on music shows and why their performance was before groups like tbz ?? Usually the older group closes the show and gets a lot of time. Isn't a big deal but it adds to this "big RV cb" being a non-event for me. Queendom doesn't really feel like their return from a long hiatus, just a random promo cycle between albums...

dont wont to meddle into your discussion about queendom.

about the music shows usually its not about the age of the group but about how popular they are.

i think tbz is really popular right now in korea. but still rv shouldnt be any lesser...

have there been even more groups after rv or tbz?

• their last song was Psycho...what do you expect?

with that previous song, any other song would sound Blah

but seriously, didn´t you heard some of Rum pum pum pum from F(x) on that song? i think they even used some of their choreo for that song....really SM whyyyyy?

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• I can't disagree, it is their most forgettable comeback, but I think a long hiatus disrupts momentum and throws things off balance. Possibly there were songs earmarked for RV that they lost out on because of timing. Also they had more important things to focus on. I feel like they'll be back to full strength on their next comeback.

• BUT IT'S SO CATCHY!!!! ;(

well the next level part is catchy yes but it kinda gets annoying at some point.

and i think ladida du papadida is even more catchy, but overall the song is too generic and lacks identity or quirk. I mean to RV standard of course;

same with next level, except the song lacks cohesion and melody so it's very disturbing and also kinda underwhelming, while queendom lacks personality so it's kinda forgettable.

ps: all of this factors are exaggerated by the fact that those comebacks both were very hyped so the disapointement is even bigger :-(

• well the next level part is catchy yes but it kinda gets annoying at some point.

and i think ladida du papadida is even more catchy, but overall the song is too generic and lacks identity or quirk. I mean to RV standard of course;

same with next level, except the song lacks cohesion and melody so it's very disturbing and also kinda underwhelming, while queendom lacks personality so it's kinda forgettable.

We are completely different! I thought Next Level was genius and stood out from SM's 3 songs in one trend :-( I just think Queendom was too safe for a title track and didn't sound like something RV would put out after a hiatus, I get the critics against Next Level's melody and cohesion, but Next Level just makes it work tbh.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• dont wont to meddle into your discussion about queendom.

about the music shows usually its not about the age of the group but about how popular they are.

i think tbz is really popular right now in korea. but still rv shouldnt be any lesser...

have there been even more groups after rv or tbz?

After RV, Sunmi performed and I thought that was the end of the show, and since she's a big senior that seemed right

But then TBZ went out and I was like ??? They are ending the show above Sunmi and RV's big comeback?? Didn't they already perform last week? That was really weird to me but maybe their nomination to #1 explains it

• We are completely different! I thought Next Level was genius and stood out from SM's 3 songs in one trend :-( I just think Queendom was too safe for a title track and didn't sound like something RV would put out after a hiatus, I get the critics against Next Level's melody and cohesion, but Next Level just makes it work tbh.

Well I think NL is too over worked, there is just way to much going on, kinda like in IGAB. But IGAB was catchy, there were memorable melodies and most importantly, it's very fun.

And let's not forget also that is came out years after their debut. I don't imagine GG going big with IGAB instead of GEE for exemple.

NL is something aespa could have released like 4/5 years into their debut, it would have been their RBB/Zimzalabim or their IGAB. It was just not the moment at all.

I guess it makes it work if you listen to it over and over again. But i won't force myself to listen to it to like it. Like I won't force myself to like Queendom because RV are my favorite group or smth.

But each it's taste obviously. ;-)

• each to their own...

some people will like it whilst others won't

people that like it won't suddenly dislike it and (generally) vice versa...

• Wut? Have you seen its charting?

• This thread contains 24 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!