Knetz react to Gfriend Sowon controversy

• Gfriend Sowon, posts 'Nazi controversy' picture... storm of demand for apology.

Group GFriend's Sowon posted a picture of her hugging a Nazi mannequin which sparked controversy.

download%2B%252817%2529.jpeg

download%2B%252819%2529.jpeg

download%2B%252820%2529.jpeg

"Netizens overseas immediately expressed their strong repulsion by mentioning the Holocaust, where the Nazis killed about 11 million civilians including Jews during World War II.

Since then, the incident was spread through Twitter, etc., and is attracting attention from English-speaking netizens. As of this day, 'Korea' is trending first in the US Twitter real-time trend (post based on users' interest), and it is pointed that this incident is related to the trend.

Sowon did not comment on this after deleting the photo, and as of this day, a number of comments from English-speaking netizens have been posted on the Sowon Instagram.

post response:

[+80][-30]
    original post: here

1. [+142, -2]
    She must have not known that it was related to the Nazi? But then again, the foreign fans must have felt mad. If you compare it with us, it's kind of like taking a picture hugging Chun Doo Hwan

2. [+136, 0]
    What did the owner of that coffee shop think to exhibit that thing so blatantly like that?

3. [+124, -2]
    Honestly, most of Koreans who don't know anything about world history would walk past that without knowing who that was. I think that as a public figure, she was careless and should receive fair criticism, apologize and if she doesn't act like this again, it should be fine. Let's stop here.. But I'm afraid that these losers will try to relieve their stress on her and curse her to death

4. [+71, -2]
    But if the westerners are so sensitive about the Nazis, then why are they being so lenient towards the Rising Sun flag and Japanese Imperialism....? They f*cking look down on us when we criticize someone using the Rising Sun flag overseas and they treat us like we were being too fussy about it... It's funny know they don't know any basic history about the East while we have to know all the cultures of the West

5. [+41, 0]
    As a public figure, it's true that it's an issue for which she should apologize and reflect for. But realistically speaking, 90 Koreans out of a hundred would have walked past that without knowing that it was a Nazi uniform

• Lmao I kept telling people they wouldn’t care. People keep going off about “ nazis were siding with Japan in WWll!!!” So? That doesn’t mean they know anything about them beyond that lmao. They clearly do not and have no reason to. I wouldn’t know Jack shit about nazi Germany if the American school system didn’t teach it more than slavery as if it happened in our country. :pepe-tea:

• 4. [+71, -2]
    But if the westerners are so sensitive about the Nazis, then why are they being so lenient towards the Rising Sun flag and Japanese Imperialism....? They f*cking look down on us when we criticize someone using the Rising Sun flag overseas and they treat us like we were being too fussy about it... It's funny know they don't know any basic history about the East while we have to know all the cultures of the West

:pepe-hehe:

• Lol the WW in WWII stands for World War not Western War but I'm not surprised, I said in my group chat that SK only cares about Japan's involvement with the Axis alliance. Their Korean fanbase might be fine but if she doesn't apologize GF's international fanbase is gonna take a serious hit...but I feel like the overseas buddies are small

• Lol the WW in WWII stands for World War not Western War but I'm not surprised, I said in my group chat that SK only cares about Japan's involvement with the Axis alliance. Their Korean fanbase might be fine but if she doesn't apologize GF's international fanbase is gonna take a serious hit...but I feel like the overseas buddies are small

If you ask the average westerner about the asian side of the war they won’t have a clue what went on beyond Japan, most Americans can’t even list their own 50 states...so why should Koreans care about the western side? Lmao

• If you ask the average westerner about the asian side of the war they won’t have a clue what went on beyond Japan, most Americans can’t even list their own 50 states...so why should Koreans care about the western side? Lmao

They should both care

ignorance of one group of people does not diminish the ignorance of another group.

ie. two wrongs don't make a right lol

• If you ask the average westerner about the asian side of the war they won’t have a clue what went on beyond Japan, most Americans can’t even list their own 50 states...so why should Koreans care about the western side? Lmao

Average Korean is shallow about some of the Western history like European side of WW2 in this case. However, I think people are pissed that a Kpop company under Big Hit would allow for such airheaded mistake to happen.

Kpop is out there and they should be more careful about this sorta stuff as image is everything in Kpop and they actively try controversial stuff, but Koreans seem a little too oblivious by certain things. And also, this always keep happening (not just Koreans, East Asians in general which are big cultural asset exporters). People wonder they should have gotten the memo by now.

• 4. [+71, -2]

The same can be said about the Sam Okyere situation. He tried to voice his concerns about racism in Korea and that blackface getup but y'all tried to kick him out of the country, got him to step down from his hosting show, and got him blacklisted.

Not surprised by most of the comments but both are awful no need to compare or justify one when both deserve the backlash.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• They should both care

ignorance of one group of people does not diminish the ignorance of another group.

ie. two wrongs don't make a right lol

As long as Westerners continue the superiority complex gig and demand that Koreans and other non western countries know their history meanwhile they know fuck all about others’ I’m gonna stick to they need to shut up and focus on the mess of their own countries, but that’s just me! Like the amount of people going “koreans” this and that, when so many western celebrities and politicians have been seen wearing nazi symbolism (their fav Prince Harry for example) and in America white people still to do this day get married, throw parties, and eat at restaurants in slave plantations.

Average Korean is shallow about some of the Western history like European side of WW2 in this case. However, I think people are pissed that a Kpop company under Big Hit would allow for such airheaded mistake to happen.

Kpop is out there and they should be more careful about this sorta stuff as image is everything in Kpop and they actively try controversial stuff, but Koreans seem a little too oblivious by certain things. And also, this always keep happening (not just Koreans, East Asians in general which are big cultural asset exporters). People wonder they should have gotten the memo by now.

That’s not why people are mad. People are making it quite clear they’re pissed she doesn’t know about their history when 99% of them don’t anything about Korea.

Of course they need to crack down on having a more globalized view, but I do not appreciate these westerners attitudes looking down on them as if they are any better. Only difference is when westerners ignorantly insult East Asians nothing happens because they aren’t as powerful.

• As long as Westerners continue the superiority complex gig and demand that Koreans and other non western countries know their history meanwhile they know fuck all about others’ I’m gonna stick to they need to shut up and focus on the mess of their own countries, but that’s just me! Like the amount of people going “koreans” this and that, when so many western celebrities and politicians have been seen wearing nazi symbolism (their fav Prince Harry for example) and in America white people still to do this day get married, throw parties, and eat at restaurants in slave plantations.

That’s not why people are mad. People are making it quite clear they’re pissed she doesn’t know about their history when 99% of them don’t anything about Korea.

Of course they need to crack down on having a more globalized view, but I do not appreciate these westerners attitudes looking down on them as if they are any better. Only difference is when westerners ignorantly insult East Asians nothing happens because they aren’t as powerful.

May I ask where are you from btw? as in background or ethnicity because the bolded part I found very interesting

• That’s not why people are mad. People are making it quite clear they’re pissed she doesn’t know about their history when 99% of them don’t anything about Korea.

I don't appreciate either, but you have to be careful to not turn it into whataboutism.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!