Girl Group battle: Best and worst song of the year

• Hello, I'm Mia and as you can see, I'm new here. I want to share my best and worst girl group songs this year. Of course amongst those I have already listen to. And honestly I don't listen many Kpop except maybe the top groups.

And obviously I'm not judging the groups, only sharing my opinion on the songs. So let's start!

My worst song of the year and probably since I started listening to kpop around 2013 is:

aespa Next level

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I really dislike the song because of the talking/raping pre choruses, it's just horrendous. No melody at all. :pepewhat: :pepenomad:

Its also for the same reason that I have been so disappointed in Queendom. But at last in Queendom there is some cohesion and the chorus is dope while there is none of that in Next level. It's like 4 different songs in one, but it's not fun or memorable like IGAB for exemple.

The chorus is cool and even addictive but somehow in a kinda annoying way? I don't really mind the charting, good for them, but it won't change my mind about the song.

I'm kinda scared about SM's musical direction. This year has been really the worst and at best nice (Weekend or even Queendom) but no real bop in sight :peperain: :peperain: :peperain:

I'm almost glad that Red Velvet haven't debuted in 2020/21... But I still hope that SM will wake up at some point and be able to deliver some real bops to aespa. I like Winter and Ningning so I truly hope to see them release bops :-)

So now my pick for best song is... Dreamcatcher Because!

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This song is just so... dynamic and exiting yet twisted mysterious and creepy. It's just freaking perfect! Totally my style even if the screaming part can get tiring at some point. It's just such a bop. :yesr: Addictive and enthralling. I loooove the little sad/creepy melodies like man it's so good. :pepemusic: I specially like the live versions. The choreo looks so interesting! Now I'm getting more and more into DC :-)

So yeah that's it! Please share your best and worst girl group songs too! Ciao :saint: :*

• Best : Alcohol-Free - TWICE

This year has been boring, other groups have released plenty of songs, but most of them are not that interesting compared to other songs. I paid attention to some comebacks and they didn't age that well for me. Alcohol-Free is one of the three songs that I paid a lot of attention to because it's TWICE! And it definitely didn't disappoint me because such a new sound for TWICE is quite fun, and I love that concept. That song is on repeat, and I just love it!

Honorable mentions : Queendom - Red Velvet, Hwaa - GIDLE, First - EVERGLOW.

Worst : Chi Mat Ba Ram - Brave Girls

So this year has been boring but most of them are not necessarily "bad", they are just plain and didn't age that well. I was so hyped for this song because it's BG's 1st comeback after Rollin', and I must say the song wasn't was I expected. It was a bit plain, and when the dance instrumental hit, they chose to sing the long "Ohhhhhhhhhhh" which I don't prefer because I wanna hear the instrumental. Overall it's not a bad song, it's just disappointing.

Honorable mentions : Mafia In The Morning - ITZY (was good but didn't age well).

EDIT : Okay I changed my mind, I forgot about this song. The most disappointing is Dun Dun Dance by OMG . I expected a lot more after Nonstop, a big ass bop, but they didn't deliver. At least I liked Mafia In The Morning and Chi Mat Ba Ram more.

:iloveyoub: BRIGHTWIN FOREVER :iloveyoub: SARAWATTINE FOREVER :iloveyoub: 2GETHER FOREVER :iloveyoub: 

Bom tấn đam mỹ 2gether "đánh úp" bản điện ảnh, cặp BrightWin sắp sửa cưới  nhau hoành tráng?

Edited once, last by huytienlam ().

• Honestly I disagree. I think Next Level is probably one of the best songs this year. I got it right from the start and it kept growing on me ever since.

In my opinion, the worst song this year has been Wings by Pixy. It's just not good. Like I can't explain why. :peperain:

The best song for me is either We Go by fromis_9 or Next Level. That's some great music.

• lmao Chi Mat Ba Ram is literally my SOTY and Alchol Free is my least favorite Twice title maybe ever and one of the biggest disappointments of the year

• I agree, Next Level SUCKS. I think people are tasteless for liking that piece of crap. It is not only the worst Kpop song I've ever heard, but maybe even the worst song I've ever heard. Shitty remake of a shitty song nobody cared about when it was released from the shittiest franchise, Fast and Furious. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone seeing that song chart well. :pepewash:

My favorite is Chi Mat Ba Ram. It's so much fun and one of the best summer songs I've heard in years. The "salang salang" part of the chorus is crack. They look so happy and like they're having fun. I miss that in Kpop groups nowadays who always look like they're trying to show off how cool they are. I had high expectations for them and they delivered.

Edited once, last by Hopkinz ().

• I agree, Next Level SUCKS. I think people are tasteless for liking that piece of crap. I think it is not only the worst Kpop song I've ever heard, but maybe even the worst song I've ever heard. Shitty a remake of a shitty song nobody cared about when it was released from the shittiest franchise, Fast and Furious. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone seeing that song chart well. :pepewash:

:pepe-hehe: :pepe-hehe: :pepe-hehe: same man! a twilight zone, you perfectly described it! to some extent it's like musical brainwashing as well :wellr:because it's doing well on melon, people are suddenly starting to like it. And honestly I kinda like aespa so I also tried to like it while watching the stages, but I just couldn't :wilds:

• Best : Alcohol-Free - TWICE

This year has been boring, other groups have released plenty of songs, but most of them are not that interesting compared to other songs. I paid attention to some comebacks and they didn't age that well for me. Alcohol-Free is one of the three songs that I paid a lot of attention to because it's TWICE! And it definitely didn't disappoint me because such a new sound for TWICE is quite fun, and I love that concept. That song is on repeat, and I just love it!

Honorable mentions : Queendom - Red Velvet, Hwaa - GIDLE, First - EVERGLOW.

Alcohol free is probably in my top 5 girl group release a well. It's actually a good song even if at the first listen I was like dumbfounded. Like is that really Twice? :pepewhat: :pepewhat:

But then after 2 or 3 listening I was :pepe-grooving: I couldn't stop lol.

And I agree with your honorable mentions except Queendom. To me Queendom is a blop, a nice blop but to Red Velvet standards, not a bop, nope X/ (and RV is my current favorite GG)

To me until now it's like:

1. Because

2. Hwaa (a masterpiece, sounded and looked like a classic OMG song too :/)

3. First

4. Rolling

5. Alohol free

• best for me is probably

External Content youtu.be

since I love the orientalness of the sound - sounds like it could be used for a Chinese period or historical drama

• Here are my picks:

BEST

Weekly - After School

Weekly - Holiday Party

Brave Girls - Chi Mat Ba Ram

TWICE - Perfect World

LOONA - PTT

Dreamcatcher - BEcause

STAYC - ASAP

woo!ah! - Purple

GWSN - Like It Hot

EVERGLOW - First

Rocket Punch - Ring Ring

Oh My Girl - Dun Dun Dance

TWICE - Kura Kura

MOMOLAND - Wrap Me In Plastic

IZ*ONE - D-D-Dance

Cherry Bullet - Love So Sweet

aespa - Forever

fromis_9 - We Go

WORST (This doesn't mean it's bad for me, just underwhelming.)

Red Velvet - Queendom

MAMAMOO - Where Are We Now

TWICE - Alcohol-Free

ITZY - In The Morning

(G)I-DLE - Last Dance

(G)I-DLE - HWAA

IN-BETWEEN

aespa - Next Level

Hyolyn & Dasom - Summer or Summer

Lightsum - Vanilla

WJSN Black - Easy

WJSN - Unnatural

• You just read my mind, I was a bit surprised with the genre of AF, after the first listen I was like, that's it, it ended like that? Hwaa is amazing and the 2nd best title of GIDLE for me. First is also great, it deserved more.

For Queendom, I was so hyped you know because I missed RV. But when the song dropped, all I can remember from the first listen was Wendy. After 5 listens it sounded good, but I prefer a more hard-hitting poppy sound like Russian Roulette. It was a bit underwhelming, it was really a blop. But it is still a good song, and I hope it ages well because songs this year are mostly cups of milk.

:iloveyoub: BRIGHTWIN FOREVER :iloveyoub: SARAWATTINE FOREVER :iloveyoub: 2GETHER FOREVER :iloveyoub: 

Bom tấn đam mỹ 2gether "đánh úp" bản điện ảnh, cặp BrightWin sắp sửa cưới  nhau hoành tráng?

• best for me is probably

External Content youtu.be

since I love the orientalness of the sound - sounds like it could be used for a Chinese period or historical drama

Amazing song! I totally agree, it's actually number 2 on my list lol.

Somehow, I feel like it was written for oh my girl, but the direction choose a generic more public friendly song like dun dun dance over :/

Like its Fifth Season 2.0 mixed with OMG's oriental cover of Destiny.

• Literally Next Level is so good! :waterr:

Queendom was such a disappointment. It feels too safe for a Red Velvet song.

• Queendom was such a disappointment. It feels too safe for a Red Velvet song.

Queendom feels like Umpah Umpah and Happiness 2.0, but SM we were expecting Russian Roulette or Psycho level of bop. Specially with the endless hiatus and all the hints in teasers about RR 2.0.

It's like RV debuted a 2nd time and were still in their early 20's. Without the RR's quirkiness it's just inapropriated.

A total disappointment to say the last. :pepe-sad:

Like, the song is fine. And if they debuted with it in 2014 or even had a comeback with it instead of Umpah Umpah in 2019, it would have been totally fine. But we're in 2021 and RV have been gone for 2 years. The situation is totally different...

• On my Spotify:
    1. First (Everglow) "I'm the WINNER WINNER WINNER"

2. Dance in the starlight night (Majors)

3. Paint the Town (Loona)
    4. ODD EYE (Dreamcatcher)
    5. We Go (Fromis_9)

*No particular order*
    Honorable Mentions (Some of Spotify*):
    - *Chi Mat Ba Ram (Brave Girls), *After School (Weeekly), Dun Dun Dance (OH MY GIRL), RUB-A-DUM (TRI.BE), *GWSN (Like It Hot), Let Me Know (PIXY), *BEcause (Dreamcatcher)

So-So (Not on Spotify):
    - Mafia in the Morning (Itzy)
    - Next Level (Aespa)
    - Alcohol-Free (Twice)
    - ASAP (StayC)
    - Ring Ring (Rocket Punch)
    - Hwaa ((G)i-dle)
    - Wings (Pixy)
    - Spit it out (Major)

Needs to Step-up their Game (Will never be on Spotify):
    - Queendom (Red Velvet)
    - Last Dance ((G)i-dle)
    - EASY (WJSN THE BLACK)
    - I Don't Miss You - Woo!ah!
    - Lemon Candy - Pink Fantasy
    - DOOM DOOM TA (TRI.BE)
    - Stalker (3YE)
    - Gratata (Hot Issue)

✧ "Got no time for haters 모두 다 집어치워 버려" ✧

• I just realized all the GG songs from 2021 on my playlist are not from Large Kpop Labels. FROMIS_9 doesn't count

✧ "Got no time for haters 모두 다 집어치워 버려" ✧

• First is a freaking legit BOP! Like damn :yesr:

And PTT is legit good as well, not the same level though...

• Queendom feels like Umpah Umpah and Happiness 2.0, but SM we were expecting Russian Roulette or Psycho level of bop. Specially with the endless hiatus and all the hints in teasers about RR 2.0.

It's like RV debuted a 2nd time and were still in their early 20's. Without the RR's quirkiness it's just inapropriated.

A total disappointment to say the last. :pepe-sad:

Like, the song is fine. And if they debuted with it in 2014 or even had a comeback with it instead of Umpah Umpah in 2019, it would have been totally fine. But we're in 2021 and RV have been gone for 2 years. The situation is totally different...

The fact that Queendom doesn't sound like the red or velvet side of Red Velvet is already a bad sign. At least Umpah Umpah and Happiness have an identity (also I love those songs :pepemusic: ).

I guess we were expecting another Psycho or Red Flavor. Like if a group is coming back after hiatus, they might as well be in our face about it. Queendom just sounds like a b-side.

• What does Chi Mat Ba Ram mean btw

something something and now I'm too afraid to ask :pepe-sad:

From Reddit:

"The literal translation is "skirt breeze" or "skirt wind". I guess you can say it means "female influence" or "female effect" in idiomatic English. The term is usually used nowadays for mothers in a frenzy about their children's education, but broadly speaking, it could be used for any situation where a woman (or women) exerts power and influence."

• From Reddit:

"The literal translation is "skirt breeze" or "skirt wind". I guess you can say it means "female influence" or "female effect" in idiomatic English. The term is usually used nowadays for mothers in a frenzy about their children's education, but broadly speaking, it could be used for any situation where a woman (or women) exerts power and influence."

Oh thank you for the quote, that's the first I've seen about it. I get it, totally :pepestare:

• Best:

First - Everglow

Aespa - Next Level

Purple Kiss - Ponzona

Mid:

Chi Mat Ba Ram - BRAVE GIRLS

Hwaa - (G)I-DLE

Red Velvet - Queendom

Worst:

Alcohol Free - Twice (sorry but their previous songs were better. This song was boring imo)

ITZY - Mafia in the Morning

LIGHTSUM - Vanilla

Honorable mentions: WJSN - Unnatural, Oh My Girl - Dun Dun Dance, Loona - PTT

• Songs I’ve loved:

Perfect World-Twice

(I know it’s not a Korean release but I think it’s the one song I’ve really loved this year)

Songs I’ve liked:

Alcohol free- Twice

after school- weeekly

unnatural-WJSN

love so sweet- Cherry Bullet

first- everglow

We go- fromis_9

Odd eye- dreamcatcher

queendom- Red Velvet

I’m kind of conflicted about because I actually liked it at first listen but idk now. Its okay I guess I still love the chorus

I’ve liked girl group songs this year. Tho I feel like most of the songs so far have been okay or meh. I haven’t really disliked or hardcore loved any (other than perfect world)

• Best:

Chi Mat Ba Ram

Vanilla

Holiday

Mixed:

Next Level - somtimes i like it but sometimes i dont wanna hear it. Dont know maybe it depends on my mood.

Summer or Summer

Alcohol Free

Queendom

They were nice but maybe its because they are so huge artists that i expected more.

worst:

Blackpink - they didnt even try. Really dont know what YG is thinking leaving the hottest group in dungeon.

But since it gave place for other artists to shine i shouldnt be mad.

• This thread contains 18 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!