Complete Chaos At Tokyo Retailer Over PS5 Sales

• Source: Kotaku

The PlayStation 5 launched last November, but months later, it’s still hard to snag one, especially in Japan. Early today, the Yodobashi Camera electrics megastore in Akihabara, one of the biggest in the country, sold a huge shipment of PS5. All hell broke loose.

People began shoving and pushing, descending on a Yodobashi clerk who had a stack of an estimated 300 numbered tickets to purchase the PS5.

The police were called, and the sale was cancelled.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Why did this happen? As Twitter’s AJapaneseDream points out, the Akihabara location is apparently only one of two Yodobashi Cameras in the greater Tokyo-Yokohama area that does not require the retailer’s black credit card to purchase the hardware—a requirement that was instituted, it seems, to thwart resellers.

What’s more, unlike in the past, the store gave out numbered tickets first come, first served. In the past, also in an effort to discourage console flipping, the retailer would give away raffle numbers for the chance to purchase the hardware.

This created a perfect opportunity for those who wanted to get a PS5 for themselves or even to resell.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Keep in mind that the Japanese government has currently declared a state of emergency over the novel coronavirus. Tokyo has the highest number of cases in the country.

• I didn't understand tbh lol

that store did somethign special?

Very limited supply of PS5 since launch last year. Scalpers hoarding what available consoles out there didn't help either.

This particular store got a new batch of PS5s but considering the crowd that gathered there, there's not a lot to go around. Chaos ensued.

• Very limited supply of PS5 since launch last year. Scalpers hoarding what available consoles out there didn't help either.

This particular store got a new batch of PS5s but considering the crowd that gathered there, there's not a lot to go around. Chaos ensued.

ok now I understand

I never got why PS5 is in this position

I remember ps4 was more of a hit

• I never got why PS5 is in this position

I remember ps4 was more of a hit

High demand, low supply because of Covid pretty much. Production took a hit. There's more clamoring for entertainment as people are stuck in their homes.

Too early to say if PS5 would surpass or not the PS4 but considering the Xbox Series X/S is the biggest launch for Microsoft and they are still playing second to Sony, there's a strong probability PS5 would overtake PS4.

• High demand, low supply because of Covid pretty much. Production took a hit. There's more clamoring for entertainment as people are stuck in their homes.

Too early to say if PS5 would surpass or not the PS4 but considering the Xbox Series X/S is the biggest launch for Microsoft and they are still playing second to Sony, there's a strong probability PS5 would overtake PS4.

i guess i am saying that because everyone i know got ps4 so fast but are showing little interest on ps5 so far? at least thats the impression i got

• i guess i am saying that because everyone i know got ps4 so fast but are showing little interest on ps5 so far? at least thats the impression i got

Hard to show interest for a console that isn't available lol

Joking aside, there's not a lot of games right now for the current generation of consoles because of Covid. A lot of game development have been pushed back. While PS4 games running way better on a PS5 is great, there's still not a lot of AAA games to push the hype for the consoles. Sure, they announce a number of stuff but most are coming out later this year or pushed back to next year or so and some of these games are also available on the PS4 and not PS5 exclusives so there's no overriding impetus to get it.

• Hard to show interest for a console that isn't available lol

Joking aside, there's not a lot of games right now for the current generation of consoles because of Covid. A lot of game development have been pushed back. While PS4 games running way better on a PS5 is great, there's still not a lot of AAA games to push the hype for the consoles. Sure, they announce a number of stuff but most are coming out later this year or pushed back to next year or so and some of these games are also available on the PS4 and not PS5 exclusives so there's no overriding impetus to get it.

usually people get more excited before the console is out? idk it is the hype thing that i missed? like those crazy people get excited over any single thing but i didnt saw excitement for ps5?? but it could be that people around me were focused on something else IDK

guess everyone was busy complaining about cyberpunk i didn 't show interest on ps5 because i HAVE NO MONEEEY

I am still trying to buy ninja storm 4 road to boruto on my country it is 300 REAIS i can't explain but its fucking expensive here specially from a game from 2017

well i think ps5 is doing the right thing in pushing the games for next year things are messy not good for bussiness

• usually people get more excited before the console is out? idk it is the hype thing that i missed? like those crazy people get excited over any single thing but i didnt saw excitement for ps5?? but it could be that people around me were focused on something else IDK

guess everyone was busy complaining about cyberpunk i didn 't show interest on ps5 because i HAVE NO MONEEEY

I am still trying to buy ninja storm 4 road to boruto on my country it is 300 REAIS i can't explain but its fucking expensive here specially from a game from 2017

well i think ps5 is doing the right thing in pushing the games for next year things are messy not good for bussiness

Oh there was hype. People were hyped as early as the console were formally revealed. Even before then. The new consoles are a known quantity since console generations are predictable as they usually span 6 - 7 years so people have been gearing for the announcement even before they were unveiled. If we are comparing the hype for PS4 and PS5, the conditions are definitely different as there have been more pressing matters globally last year which may have muted the marketing somewhat.

Cyberpunk is a last console title. The proper new gen Cyberpunk wouldn't even be releasing until later this year so there's still time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!