DISCUSSION: Should your career be destroyed over a school bullying incident?

• i think it depends on what the idol did. there are different types of bullying. some are physical and others are emotional bullying.

if there was physical damage involved, such as injury involved, or severe incident that affected the vimtim psychologically, then there should be reprecussions.

however losing a career over it? its a bit harsh imo. these things should be sorted out in privaate and the idol should apologize, to the victim personally. and also issue a public apology.

however I dont know the exact details of Soojins bullying case, so I dont know if she really deserved it (I havent got the exact info)

revenge is a petty thing as well. and I think its a short term solution to a deeper problem. the victims mental health wont magically improve if she gets her bully fired from her job.

Idols also depends on public persona, so this is why the company thought it was the right decision I guess.

• The problem is what type of bullying are we talking about here?

Singling out someone and not inviting them to a bday party?

Or

Seeking out someone in every possible scenario to torment them?

In alot of these accusations, the details are missing. There is also no evidence and they are he said/she said situations.

Accusers have a right to come forward, but does the public have a right to witch hunt? It seems like idols are paying for every other bully out there. If people cant call out their own bully, they project it on idols and expect them to pay for their suffering as well.

Even then, alot of adults failed to intervene, so why is no one holding them accountable? Why is ministry of education not making a public apology and resigning over this country wide issue?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've seen kids be completely ignorant that what they were doing was bullying, only "teasing", I've seen kids say that being shoved once in gym class led to massive psychological trauma, etc. People's perceptions vary so much.

so true. there are some commentators saying that mild bullying shouldnt cause trauma, but lets face it, some people are more sensitive then others.

even mild bullying that takes place over a longer period of time can cause issues. e.g. It eventually turns into something bigger, due to the impact.

• I'm staying on point; all I'm doing is showing you the flaws of your reasoning. A fair treatment is unrelated to the victim's wishes as they can turn out to be unreasonable. I don't think a victim should be the one to decide the perpetrator's fate (regarding their work or anything really) because of the very example I used earlier. Being a victim doesn't grant you this kind of power. It would be a direct road to arbitrariness.

So no one should align with them automatically as a rule.

What you driving this out of the context with your extreme reasoning

We talking in the K-pop idols world just like many users said in this page, they are the role model of many (many people looks up to) , what kind of message that you want to deliver if you are an ex bully that even the victims doesn't forgive you?

• In conclusion, Korea needs to launch anti-bullying campaigns. I think their age hierarchy system is a big reason why bullying is so bad in Korea. We can't let these witch hunts keep happening, but I fear they're only going to happen even more now. Netizens hold too much power

I think the problem lies deeply in Korea's culture, like the society's ultra competitiveness and the high expectations put onto the kids, from both parents and society. Kids grow up under a lot of pressure and so lots of them vent it out onto others, enabled by an adult world who cares about nothing but the kids' grades.

• I think of you were a bully but never changed your ways or tried to amend the pain you brought to others then it shows you never grew as a person, you're still the same shit head from as a kid. In that case their careers can go down the toilet.

However if you have genuinely changed for the better then I don't think the stupid actions you took as a kid sound define the person you are now and the rest of your life

• For me no

For idols yes.

Because they should be seen as ideal and perfect to the public, a representation of what youngsters aspire to be.

So having a clean past is like being good at math to be engineer, be good at languages to be translator and so on, just prequalifications.

• For me no

For idols yes.

Because they should be seen as ideal and perfect to the public, a representation of what youngsters aspire to be.

So having a clean past is like being good at math to be engineer, be good at languages to be translator and so on, just prequalifications.

I disagree. Being an idol is mostly about singing, dancing, possibly being pretty. These are the job requirements. Looking kind and friendly comes with it too I guess, but requiring them to be saints from birth to debut sounds unreasonable. It's a purity fantasy that don't come from a good place imo. Idols, like any other people, might make mistakes, especially in their younger days, and as long as they changed their ways and became decent people, things from the past should be left in the past.

Of course if sins from the past come to bite them in the ass, they should deal with it accordingly but at least unrelated people like fans should give them some slack and let them deal with it privately.

• Yes it should. As someone who got bullied my entire school life, the least thing I would want to see is my bully be an idol enjoying her life to the fullest with millions of fans faking her personality. It should also set an example for other bullies. Maybe they will start thinking something like "Being a bitch can destroy my career so maybe I should be a nice human being instead of an asshole"

• We can

If the victims refuses to forgave, then you know the extent of their wrongdoings

People hold grudges for less… not forgiving someone doesn’t show the extent of someone’s wrongdoings. Some people are more petty when it comes to forgiving than others. It also depends on how you as a victim dealt with your trauma.

Some get stronger through such experiences, others break and than there are those who end bitter.

• I disagree. Being an idol is mostly about singing, dancing, possibly being pretty. These are the job requirements. Looking kind and friendly comes with it too I guess, but requiring them to be saints from birth to debut sounds unreasonable. It's a purity fantasy that don't come from a good place imo. Idols, like any other people, might make mistakes, especially in their younger days, and as long as they changed their ways and became decent people, things from the past should be left in the past.

Of course if sins from the past come to bite them in the ass, they should deal with it accordingly but at least unrelated people like fans should give them some slack and let them deal with it privately.

Well, I don't think they should be saints, but being an idol is not only being on stage and have all the skills for stages. Fans like their idols also because of who they are. Yes purity is a fantasy, but if they didn't settled major negative thing that happened in their past so they can they remain be unknown to the public, then they don't have the requirements to be the ideal idol.

• People hold grudges for less… not forgiving someone doesn’t show the extent of someone’s wrongdoings. Some people are more petty when it comes to forgiving than others. It also depends on how you as a victim dealt with your trauma.

Some get stronger through such experiences, others break and than there are those who end bitter.

Again, We're talking in this Kpop Idol World (please stay in the context)

For the victims to comes out, it takes immeasurable courage since they will be dealing up with Company's Lawyer (I'm sure this will be more than one lawyer ) , the attacks from the idol fans itself, and the risk to be counter sued.

For Petty cases like you said, I don't think the victims will be asking the perpetrators to leaves the industry for good, looking at how much risk that they will be faced if they brought out the bullying cases into light.

• Well, I don't think they should be saints, but being an idol is not only being on stage and have all the skills for stages. Fans like their idols also because of who they are. Yes purity is a fantasy, but if they didn't settled major negative thing that happened in their past so they can they remain be unknown to the public, then they don't have the requirements to be the ideal idol.

Fans like their idols for who they are now; they don't have to care about who they were 10 years ago. Enforcing this kind of expectations on people who are so young, people who only want to sing and dance on stage for our entertainement, is not a healthy thing to do. The message it sends "one mistake, past or present, and you're out" is terrible. So, fans who enforce this kind of rules on idols, I don't think they can say anything about idols' mental health issues and such. You guys should keep your extreme requirements for politicians, those who hold a public office and the likes; that would make more sense.

• Fans like their idols for who they are now; they don't have to care about who they were 10 years ago. Enforcing this kind of expectations on people who are so young, people who only want to sing and dance on stage for our entertainement, is not a healthy thing to do. The message it sends "one mistake, past or present, and you're out" is terrible. So, fans who enforce this kind of rules on idols, I don't think they can say anything about idols' mental health issues and such. You guys should keep your extreme requirements for politicians, those who hold a public office and the likes; that would make more sense.

Alex, there are jobs that even if you have all the skills, if you're don't have the right behaviors the right personality or past, you can't do them... Same for idols. Bullying is not a 'mistake', if a long process...

When I say clean past, it's not a real clean past, just clean enough for public eyes...

• NO. This situations can be resolve in an healthy and adult way. Is heartbreaking to see that the pression of the toxic angry mob of internet won again (They dont care about the people involve, they just want to see blood the mfks) For me is very stupid and perverse that this bad behaviour in a young age is not taking in its real dimension, You CANT judge a young person behaviour like he/she was an adult, is wrong.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by btsworlddom ().

• BTW, how is that so many young people get their life destroyed by bullies in SK (according to some people here), where the fuck are the parents, the teachers, the fucking adults?

• Yes it should. As someone who got bullied my entire school life, the least thing I would want to see is my bully be an idol enjoying her life to the fullest with millions of fans faking her personality. It should also set an example for other bullies. Maybe they will start thinking something like "Being a bitch can destroy my career so maybe I should be a nice human being instead of an asshole"

Where were your parents?

• For me it highly depends on how they choose to handle the situation and how severe the bullying was, most often these scandals can reveal someone's true face. If they deny it and hide behind their company's back hoping that they could do the dirty work aka pressure the victims into accepting monetary compensation for their silence then yeah they deserve whatever it's coming their way. But, if they choose to own it up to their mistakes and apologize to the victims, take a hiatus or whatever then no. Usually in Korea there's no win when it comes to bullying cases, their reputation will take a hit regardless and will follow them for a long time. A lot can change in 5-10 years, if they are willing to show that they've changed and are genuinely sorry, losing their entire career may be too much but again, there are exceptions.

• ah it's such a complicated thing to break down first many bullying cases happen on different occasions during life right? some of them happen during super young age like (14 below? younger than 12?) on those cases I find extremely ridiculous to start a witch pursuit thing against the idols, because for example I doubt anyone here is the same for the next 5/8/10 years there are so minuscule things about me years ago that I don't believe it was me lol some stuff I used to say and do and I just laugh at my own idiotic ways. Now I think that when it's older than previously stated I do feel that this person (the "bully") might have some personality issues however even so its complicated to break down how serious those bullyings were? for example there was a personality which i don't know that made absurd truly criminal stuff, this kind of cases are extremely severe and i believe there's a problem with this person (i dont remember his name) he probably is messed up, but those cases (thankfully!) are not the same I see lately going discussed on the kpop area, many cases I have seen for the info release looked like plain fights? and dude, this gonna happen with everyone in school (fights I mean! not bullying!) do i feel that maybe this is being weaponized against idols? absolutely, not referring to any isolated case here as well, but there was a feeling that personally i think its being fights and old badblood weaponized against idols (ressentment against idols is something that i have always seen, i might be very slow on kpop nowadays but when i was more active and such people used rumors and all to weaponize against idols) i just think there are black, white and several shades of gray when we come to break this down, I suffered a lot on school (bullying SADLY is common on every country) and this made several damage to my self steem etc, but i think we were so stupidly young, i wouldn't think its okay to destroy their careers at all??? because it just feels absurd i also was no saint as much younger, anyways, this is the problem sometimes i don't feel like people wanna justice -i mean netizens- i feel like they wanna bring an idol down (and this is not new people always be crazy about attacking idols and specially when they feel justified, they don't do this for justice) and i think on the gidle's girl case, she should have apologized personally and take a hiatus and maybe come back later? i feel this is the best approach? i beliebe that its simply not fair to end a career (specially when we know how hard debuting is) over stuff that happened on middle school / hs (ofc theres cases like this one i mentioned that made me sick) but overall if you don't believe people can change and always think they are bad for something they did ages and ages ago what even is the point of stanning idols? they are human theres a high chance they did wrong stuff grew from it because many people do, and they might commit some "mistake" again, i believe sometimes things are being hold up in absurd standards.

and before anything understand that i am talking about those very gray areas, its all complicated the story has sides, we should take their age into account and the level of the "bullying", it's simply anti-progress to hold shit against people that happened ages ago, this can even be damage for their grown as people in general, i just don't understand why nuance is not a thing when it comes to this! because literally human social behavior is where we should be more aware of nuance..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!