i lost my affection for yuqi

• I just find getting down to the debate of a person’s true opinions/beliefs now is unneeded in the argument. None of us truly know what a person is thinking, desires, or stands for in reality unless we all jump inside their heads. Does that mean we stay mute and not speak up about anything for the rest of our lives because of it?

you can talk about anything, nobody is silencing anyone. op asked what did we think about the topic and i said i'm not bothered with it because english speaking celebrities support questionable actions and opinions too. i'm not here to convince anyone they are wrong. every opinion is valid.

a similar question can be asked if we can enjoy films and music of celebrities who did questionable things. some care, some not. it really comes down to case by case.

• i think this reply helped me suss out why it kinda bothers me and makes me feel uncomfortable with supporting them. that american celebrities don't usually post pro-us government messages, and often do the exact opposite or are quiet about their own political beliefs, whatever they may be. but i also recognize that being able to contradict your government or disagree with what your government does openly is a privilege. and that these idols, even if they might disagree with some of the things their government does, don't have the ability to say otherwise for their careers or their own safety or maybe they don't know a lot about politics in general and that's okay.

okay i figured it out! thank you!

American celebrities are extremely political. In all their wiki pages you can find who they are affiliated with. But only the Republicans get shunned or boycotted by the internet but the left gets a pass. War crimes have been committed by both the Republican and Democratic parties.

I do think a lot of this comes in part with ppl vilifying China more than they do western countries.

Honestly it’s a nuanced situation. Who knows the right answer.

But I do know people should not go out of the way to use these things to hate on people and use it as a tool for fan wars.

• American celebrities are extremely pro-government... they just get a societal pass for being left leaning which puts them on the right side for societal issues. They literally raise millions and millions of dollars for elections on just about every level of government. While Obama was allowing bombs to be dropped on civilians, he was hanging out with and being praised by American celebrities for being cool. Not to mention the sheer amount of both-sides-isms they all just played over Israel and Palestine. I mean even Mark Ruffalo ate his words and posted a pro Israel message because Disney told him too.

People barely even criticize American companies for their shady actions. Everyone was down on Disney when they filmed Mulan in China, but as soon as the new season of The Mandalorian and WandaVision dropped everyone was rushing to watch it. Not to mention people continually dumping money into Apple despite them building every single iPhone in China (not to mention the labor violations they've committed there.)

I'm not saying you have to support these idols, but to me it's just selective hypocrisy that can only happen among people who aren't directly affected by anything that happens in a country.

i don't support american celebrities that are political either to be completely honest and more often than not i disagree with the public sentiment about things. i'm not into america's two party system 🤷🏻‍♀️ america being owned and basically run by corporations is a whole topic.

you're right, and it is really nuanced. i appreciate the different opinions just because there is no real right or wrong answer.

once twice c2a20081bdf53b7b4de607196679031c16c4af06.gifv

stayc fromis_9 weeekly

• American celebrities are extremely pro-government... they just get a societal pass for being left leaning which puts them on the right side for societal issues. They literally raise millions and millions of dollars for elections on just about every level of government. While Obama was allowing bombs to be dropped on civilians, he was hanging out with and being praised by American celebrities for being cool. Not to mention the sheer amount of both-sides-isms they all just played over Israel and Palestine. I mean even Mark Ruffalo ate his words and posted a pro Israel message because Disney told him too.

People barely even criticize American companies for their shady actions. Everyone was down on Disney when they filmed Mulan in China, but as soon as the new season of The Mandalorian and WandaVision dropped everyone was rushing to watch it. Not to mention people continually dumping money into Apple despite them building every single iPhone in China (not to mention the labor violations they've committed there.)

I'm not saying you have to support these idols, but to me it's just selective hypocrisy that can only happen among people who aren't directly affected by anything that happens in a country.

you made a really good point, most people don't criticize other celebs for things like this. Especially western celebs. I think it is time we treat them all equally.

• you made a really good point, most people don't criticize other celebs for things like this. Especially western celebs. I think it is time we treat them all equally.

Western celeb get a LOT of criticism. I’d say far more than idols who are often shielded by fans and have their searches cleaned.

But inherently people don’t expect perfection from western celebs as they do idols. And that’s the difference. They’ll have fans even if they are criminals and criticized. Which won’t be the case for many of these East Asian celebs.

• Many countries have their fair share of atrocities committed by the government. The only difference is that there isn't as much media sensationalism.

I don't think ordinary people outside the government should have to deal with politics unless they want to get involved by being an activist or a politician. Yuqi didn't choose to be born into this world. She didn't choose to be Chinese and she didn't choose for the Chinese government to be like this. Yuqi is an artist and an entertainer. It's not her job to play politics.

There's a difference between merely conducting your business somewhere and encouraging abuse against human rights.

Should we stop buying made-in-China products, then? Should we stop supporting K-pop because it has Chinese idols who send their profits back home to their Chinese families, which stimulates the Chinese economy? Many of the things we're doing today are indirectly helping China. We just don't think of it that way.

• i used yuqi as an example bc she's the idol i stanned at one point but yeah it isn't her fault at all. it's all outside of her control, same with the others.

also who is in your signature????

once twice c2a20081bdf53b7b4de607196679031c16c4af06.gifv

stayc fromis_9 weeekly

• Stream my nugu girl pls

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Stream my nugu girl pls

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I already do, I love that song

• i used yuqi as an example bc she's the idol i stanned at one point but yeah it isn't her fault at all. it's all outside of her control, same with the others.

also who is in your signature????

Understood. I think people tend to virtue-signal when it comes to celebrities just because it's easy to judge from afar, but they don't consider how their own day-to-day activities are supporting China's economy.

The things we do collectively as a society have a much greater impact than what a few idols do. Everything is connected in this world. We've been indirectly supporting China our whole lives. We shouldn't blame ourselves because we're not politicians, so why blame these idols simply for making career decisions they see as best for their livelihoods?

Being an idol means making a lot of sacrifices. These idols already lost a lot of what would be considered a normal, healthy life. They're only doing their best to make sure those sacrifices are worth it in the end for themselves and their loved ones.

CLC's Choi Yujin is in my signature.

• just like who you like and support who you support...

it's not that hard...

if you want to support someone regardless of their political ties or whatever - great

if you don't - great as well...

you can support or not or cancel or not and that's all good since that's your choice...

oh and she looks really good in her latest valentino shoot...

Song Yuqi - Valentino

• What ccp means?

External Content twitter.com

• Chinese Communist Party

Oh, i see. Yeah, thas is a big no for me. I dont going to support an idol who show simpathy for a gov that oppresses people. Fuck Yuqi.

External Content twitter.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!