Usage of autotune in Hybe: be honest

• I've seen a lot of comments on here, on Twitter, with more or less words, saying they dislike the autotune bighit/hybe has with their groups.

It can be a valid argument but often written (especially on stan twt) as a quirky thing to say negatively on the groups and those remarks go nowhere if there's no ground to it.

What I want here is more precision instead of that vague statement.

What are the songs that make you say that? Is it one, several?

Do you dislike autotune/processing in general or can you accept it in certain genres?

I am neither a defender nor a basher of it. I just came across a thing where a lot of people were quoting bts and txt or hybe groups or "you know who" as the groups who use too much autotune and wanted to discuss it and doing it on Twitter is out of the question because it'd be unproductive

• I love autotune. When I was a child, believe by cher was my bop. I dig the usage of autotune as a stylistic choice. It makes songs very spacey and gives a little twist

• Vocoder itself isn't the problem imo. Vocal effects can be used to add to songs and has been a tool for decades now. It's very easy for it to be pushed over the line though. Just like the complaints about bass drops or edm sounds, it comes down to personal taste.

• I usually dislike too much autotune and vocoder. I dislike it from before I listened to K-pop. But sometimes I think it's done right and fits the song.

A Hybe song that I think does it right is Drunk-Dazed by Enhypen. They wouldn't achieve the same effect without using it.

When I think it's done wrong is when it contributes nothing to the song.

• The autotune can be fine.

Their vocal mixing is horrific, at least to me for a few songs. What are they doing???? Autotune can be done very tastefully and well stylistically but they are basically making it look strange. Like they're basically sabotaging the song. At least in Permission to Dance, the vocal mixing was what I really hated. Especially at Hobi's part. Why? Let's cut off that and do something else. This is a pretty extreme reaction but I'm annoyed because they're digging their ditch with the music if that makes sense.

• First I want to clarify that when I personally say autotune I mean the vocal distortion effect that makes vocals sound robotic or metallic if you might (otherwise everyone uses autotune in its correct meaning)

Anyway, I'm not against it on principle, there are songs I like that use this effect either lightly or heavily. But when it becomes a tradition or a trademark then that's a problem to me. One of the primary attractions in music for me is vocals and with that I mean natural and raw-sounding vocals not metallic ones that sound like they came out of a machine not a person. So when an artist release an album like BTS' 7 or most of TXT's title tracks (I didn't really bother checking the rest of their discography) where "autotune" is rampant, repetitive and very heavily implemented, that's definitely a no go for me.

• I’m not a mad fan of it all the time but it’s a stylistic choice. I think it works better on the songs that lean more rap heavy.

I think, I tend to dislike it if it is used relentlessly and used to cover up weaker vocalists, but with BTS, their live vocals are really strong - it’s not like it’s being added to make up for a weakness.

I prefer - personally - to hear the live performances a lot of the time because I think their live vocals shine, but they’re making the music they want to, so if they want to add vocal effects as stylistic choices, that’s up to them.

• Tbh coming from the T-pain/Kanye/Lil Wayne era I barely notice BTS autotune usuage lmao..... if you know you know.

I hear it mostly in rap heavy songs or hype songs with some exceptions but that's cool with me I find it normal and I like that they use it as a style choice often as when they perform live a million times I can hear their voices and know it's not out of necessity.

They were never formed to be a vocally focused group anyway it literally started from a rapper so the stylistic choices and autotune vibe they often go for always made sense to me. The majority of the vocal line only/ or vocal line focused tracks are without the heavy autotune so there's options if ppl prefer that- It's personal taste at the end of the day......

• HYBE has some serious obsession with auto tune these days and they have carried there obsession with it to TXT and En-, it was already terrible with BTS because if PTD didn't have auto tune I probably would have liked it, it just blends there voices together and makes the singer sound bad and not good. Auto tune isn't bad but half the time when it's used in pop cheery happy songs it makes it really bad and worse than it was before. Same goes for TXT and En- but it's more tolerable since they don't make cheerful songs.

• I can tolerate them actually. Some pro may not toile it but it’s not as bad as they make it out to be. Its obviously a stylistic choice, not necessarily because they need it especially for mots7. The vocal processing in black swan made it sound like all their 7 voices were overlayed and sounded like one person. I also liked Suga’s shadow; the auto tune added depths and made his tone feel harsher if I should say, to express the anguish in his lyrics

I think PTD is the only song I disliked the auto tune. It was not done properly at all. I could barely tell who was singing and I doubt it was because of any artistic direction like how it was in black swan.

So IMO bighit’ s auto tune has no problem. It just depends on when it’s overdone and when it does not add anything to the song itself

• Is it bad that I think autotune is fitting for some songs but not others? Tbh I dislike Puma's autotune because it was too much, along with their newer track What If I Had Been That Puma. But Can't You See Me's autotune just worked. It fit the concept, it sounded really good in my opinion and its one of my favorite tracks. Same for newer track No Rules and Magic, the autotune works for these too!

I agree with the first part. I feel the same, some song it fits well, some not. I do like how they use it as an extra expression. I disliked the autotune in Icecream until I read the lyrics while listening. The empty sounding autotune on that song with the lyrics just make so much sense for me.

:eyes:

Is it WIIHBTP or Icecream? They took down the autotune on the rap parts making it clearer while on the singing parts they left it on heavy certain parts really heavy while others a bit softer. It’s not just a mindless let’s swap on autotune to hide sh*t under it.

In Puma too I liked the autotune. I felt like it made sense.

• Tbh I don't know why my ears just didn't agree with Puma ;( I loved the perf though

Maybe this also comes down to preference? For example I actually really liked Ice Cream, its brighter than Puma and I tend to like brighter songs from TXT (there are exceptions though ofc) So maybe thats why I tolerate the autotuning in that song more?

In the end it comes down to song preference, I think

I think so too. I do love their brighter songs too but I love their heavier stuff like Puma, Frost or Dear Sputnik.

• not the biggest fan of it (autotuning/vocal processing), but it works well when it's done right imo.

for example, Yoongi's D2 was an absolute masterpiece, he really knows how to use these effects.

• Honestly, I've never minded autotune, and this was long before I knew what K-pop was and started being an avid listener. It's when songs are so over the top in using it (i.e. BTS's Respect, TXT's Balance Game and Magic, EXO's Lotto, WINNER's EVERYDAY) that I dislike autotune.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited once, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• It’s a choice. Some people don’t like metal. Some don’t like country music.

Some don’t even think EDM is real music.

New gen is all about the auto tune or as I prefer to call it over processed vocals.

I mean sure there are songs that do indeed sound good with it.

I guess the reason ppl feel petty about it is because it feels like it requires considerably less skill and “anyone can do this”. As opposed to “raw” vocal talent. (I say it in quotes cuz all vocals is in the end processed)

Anyway OP the reason why ppl downplay is because ppl assume you don’t need talent to be a singer if your vocals can be processed to that extent.

Is it right or wrong idk. I’d just say it’s a preference.

Me personally I like many songs that do have auto tune. I enjoy it. Will I be to enjoy an entire discography of it? And nothing else? Idk. I enjoy good vocals too.

• To be honest, I've never been a fan of it and I've always said that. It's very frustrating when overused, especially on artists I know don't need it. When it comes to stylistic choice, it's bearable as in Black Swan. But in the PTD it was so bad. Especially where Jungkook dances in the laundry room, his voice was so autotuned that I thought Jimin was singing.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• i hate it and I don't think it brings anything good to most songs

even with black swan -which a lot of people mention when talking about good autotune- i like the live version more than the studio one

• I don't mind it when is not that much. It can make a song better but there have been times when it kinda ruined the vibe.

Like in PTD I had trouble knowing who sings and only the video helped. I think they fixed it a little afterwards.

Or I think it was completely unnecessary in the orchestra version of BS.

In songs like Shadow it made the song even better but I am afraid it's not always the case. They have been overdoing it lately and I don't like this obsession of hybe.

• I vibe with autotune when done for style :pepe-grooving: Like I know this song gets some (a lot) divided opinions but I love it, especially the over-the-top autotune

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think it really depends on personal taste. So for me, I'm not really a fan of it. But, if the songs fit it I'm totally fine with it.

But in Big Hit songs sometimes I just wondering must they do it like this to their vocal? Because sometimes I believe their artist vocal just can make the song better without the autotune...

But yeah, it's just my opinion

• I don't know what happened in PTD but their live version is much better, I just don't want their vocals to be heavily processed, it really just won't give any color to the song.
    For TXT it's really really heavily processed and I still don't know the reason... I even listened to some of their covers and it's weirdly processed, it's not like that they cannot sing but it just felt weird to the ear.

• i don't like it, i wish hybe toned down their obsession with vocal processing. black swan orchestral version is superior but due to heavy vocal processing is unlistenable. black swan the album version is listenable but i'm still not sure who sings what. check color-coded videos and comments, to this day people aren't sure about line distribution.

permission to dance and suga's part in savage love are atrocious. shadow is an example of vocal processing done right. for some reason it doesn't bother me in ON and telepathy, i think they fit well.

enhypen members all sounds the same, there are seven of them and i only hear one voice lol.

thank god live versions exist

• I actually dislike it except with songs like Black Swan, Shadow, Respect where autotune is used in parts and not in the whole song, it's just not my cup of tea and that's entirely my personal taste, especially when you KNOW it would sounds miles better if it wasn't used, there's a reason butter had a better reception than dyna and ptd (yeah latter people grasped on the hate because of charts, but in the release date there was nothing but praises lmao).

But people who think this is unique to BTS are delusional, also Life Goes On exists people, we know it flopped but give her some justice pls

• I dislike auto tune because I like to hear their raw vocals more and I love BTS's unique voices so much that I dislike whatever ruin it. I hate unnatural sound in general actually because it sounds unpleasant to my ears.

I can make an exception with songs like Outro: Tear and Black Swan because of stylistic choice but I can never replay audio versions of PTD or Respect to save my life lol. If I want to listen to these songs, I would probably just search for their live performances because to me they sound better live than audio in most of their auto tune songs.

• In my opinion the issue is not with auto tune per se. It's more the vocal processing or whatever is used that makes HYBE groups songs all sound metallic/robotic and does not allow you to distinguish that different members are singing not one singular robotic/metallic sounding voice.

I first noticed it in the BTS love yourself persona EP and find it really unpleasant to listen to.

On the otherhand I thoroughly enjoy BTS black swan, shadow, TXT what if I had been that puma (balance game) - because the autotune is appropriate/fitting there.

In the case of TXT I do not even understand why it is used since it is clear they are all competent vocalists for the most part...

Enhypen on the other hand may well be using the vocal processing as a crutch but again if all big hit groups now sound like that - it seems to be an intentional stylistic choice that ain't for me personally

• autotune is fine...it fits some songs (black wan, cysm).. it does not fit some (puma, ptd)

what I dont like about what hybe does is the excessive vocal layering and processing on top of that.... even stans have a hard time many times to tell who is singing... why are you blending all voices together everywhere... especially in verses? A big reason why I can't seem to replay most of Enha songs is because of this... its annoying... and a shame because the songs other than the processing are actually really bops.

• This thread contains 22 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!