Have you ever introduced kpop to a non-kpop fan? If so, what was their reaction?

• Yesss. I listen to a specific lane in kpop (r&b and hip hop focused), so those I've introduced them to really liked what I introduced them to (as I'm usually introducing to someone who likes a similar style of music - so like EXO and EXO solos, NCT (127/U/WayV) and RV velvet side.) I think several in my family have become EXO-Ls over the years with me and a few have also become NCTzens.

When I've brought kpop into the office, people have also liked (Baekhyun is popular).

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I've had great success with asking them first "what kind of music do you like?" and tailoring a recommendation based on that. I think people stumble by assuming that "Oh, this artist is really popular, so they're a sure bet!" but if someone thinks current pop music is really noisy, then the heavy EDM songs that are popular are going to just confirm that they don't like kpop either.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• So for the first one, she liked it but wasn't too into it. Now for the second one. I did this indirectly lol.

So one day in school around November ish 2020,we were playing a game and my teacher asked me if I was an Army and I said yes.

And then one of my friends came on and said Dynamite was overrated lol. Few months later she is an Army bopping to Butter and PTD. Not sure if she still hates Dynamite lol.

• My wife who just said it was noise

and I tried showing her this as well

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and she was like more noise? lol

• One of my friends listened to some BTS and Red Velvet title tracks with me so I talked to her about them a bit. She liked the BTS songs and particularly loved Red Velvet's velvet songs like Bad Boy or Psycho but she was not a fan of Dumb Dumb.

I introduced one of my others friends to BTS with Spring Day and she asked me a lot of questions about how they became so popular globally. She really liked the song, the MV's symbolism and the lyrics.

dbed960a80097dc7d9eac973b7be5f732ec99c98.gifv  1f251c53cf32e8a39ff30f639687b517129b0205.gifv  8ce6cd0f2729463446ccbc09563cc6ad65a72d09.gifv

• I played make a wish by nct in front of my dad this morning and he literally pretended he couldn't hear it.

Then I played blue hour by TXT in the car and he just talked over it really loudly lol

My sister likes Blackpink, Twice, Red Velvet, Oh My Girl, IZ*ONE, BTS and (G)I-DLE (and every song that I've played of theirs so far) which is awesome. I also got her a Blackpink bag for her birthday which she loves. Her bias is Rosé haha.

Played Spring Day for my mum as well and she said it was lovely. Also played her Film Out, Blue & Grey and Home. She said 'I can see why other people like it' as usual :pepe-sad:

My dad came with us to Blackpink The Movie a few days ago (me and my sister aren't allowed to go alone since she's very little) and he seemed to think the music was average but I caught him humming ddu ddu du yesterday :pepegrin:

• It's a hard sell to non-Asian Americans. Boy groups are seen as promoting homosexuality - girl groups as promoting pedophilia. The concept of innocence is totally lacking on the American music scene, and when confronted with it, a jaded audience just can't process it.

• Yes, my partner and counsellor. They watched some music videos and thought the music and outfits were cool. My counsellor was even going to download the songs on Spotify but I don’t know if she did or not.

• Yes. The story of my life. I've tried lots of people. I know a lot of my friends are into Kpop but the non-kpop fans are difficult.

My dad brought tickets in January so we could see the virtual Blackpink concert. We all seemed to like it.

I tried introducing Twice mvs to my family. I just said "have you heard of this girl group Twice?" then I showed a few mvs on my phone.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It was a little easier with my mom because she watches Kdramas all the time. However, introducing this to my dad was the most difficult thing ever, who would probably say its just noise. I showed him these and he did seem to be fine though, especially with their less cute concepts like Fancy or LOA.

Ironically, my mom watched the first 15 seconds of ICSM and her response was "This seems like that loud music that would play in those Chinese clothing stores." I was like Girl what do you mean? I can't feel it.

Then we have my sister who thought the mv storyline was cool. I then told her about the latest release "Alcohol Free." Her response was "omg they are giving away free alcohol?" I literally cringed.

• I introduced BP, NCT & BTS to my parents and they just looked at me like this :pepestare:

BTS is the best group to introduce new fans, since it is the top group rn.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!