• Here’s what I think, please feel free to correct me if I misspoke.

1. These people think of it as a political stance, a trend, or a system of beliefs (which it isn’t - Misinformation).

2. Homophobic beliefs were taught to children by parents or authoritative figures. Those children grew up and never questioned those beliefs. They view their beliefs as facts. (Misinformation)

3. Conservative religious or cultural backgrounds. (Fear/Misinformation)

4. Internalized homophobia. (Fear)

5. Some people are narcissistic, have a huge ego, etc. so they pick on whatever they want to or can.

Interestingly enough, my parents’ religion actually has homosexuality in it yet their stance on it is that they respect it but it’s “just not in our culture” aka they don’t care what other outsider people do but inside our own…I’ve argued with them on it a lot but moving on.

It’s all irrational fear and misunderstanding of something some people are not used to seeing. It’s something “different” and “not normal” according to them.

I think some people get angry because it’s not the version of the world they want to see (?) Or they take it politically. Or they just don’t get that it’s not a choice. That’s the best I can think of right now.

• It’s not hard for me as my daughter is gay and I support her choice and love her just the same. She also has a friend who’s trans and I don’t have an issue with them either. They are lovely people.

• The problem with conservative religions is that it’s practices were always influenced by an already existing culture and beliefs.

For example:

1. Christianity, no where in in the Bible does is say being in love with the same sex is prohibited, it was the sexual act that the Bible condemns, but not for homosexual reasons, but for the same reason they forbid sex before marriage. You are not continuing the bloodline of your family. It didn’t serve procreation either and so they thought it’s perverted ( which means “distort or corrupt the original course, meaning, or state of (something)”) .

2. Jesus himself never condemned homosexuality either, he was very clear with what he considered bad and good and never mentioned homosexuality… the only thing he said was that marriage is a concept created for men and women. For procreation and to save the families bloodline and heritage.

3. Also there is no hierarchy, every sin is weighed the same so therefore we shouldn’t judge anybody… in fact we should love each other without exceptions. Nowhere in the doctrine does it order believers to go and humiliate, torture or kill people who do not obey the Law of God… NOBODY, in fact it says God gave us a free will!

So why do believers look so bigoted when their doctrine teaches them something different? Fear !

Look at the times these people lived, there wasn’t an explanation for a lot of things, so believing in God was their only hope. Everything good and bad was linked to God or Satan. So there was a huge fear of sinning and they believed in collective punishment (e.g a whole month with no rain or a deadly disease). So everything that was considered a sin had to punished right away or tried to be prevented in extreme ways.

You could force a men and a women who had sex before marriage into marriage, but you couldn’t do so with homosexual couples, so they were harsher on them. And it lost control and gave religious institutions absolute power… sometimes more than the King of the country himself. Religion was than used as a political tool and for personal interests. It got corrupted by it’s core by those in power, cause it was the best way to manipulate people! There is a reason why they forbid the lower class to even read the doctrine themself.

Unfortunately this use of religion has formed Nations and parents raised their children with those beliefs till this day. In church you will actually get thought “ how to understand the Bible “ instead of just making your own judgment. But it’s not even needed, cause the society itself is already bigoted. So even as a non-believer you still thought bad about people who lived a life not considered “normal”. It’s full of judgement… what a irony, cause that’s exactly what the Bible considers a sin as well.

It took me while to realize it myself, by reading the Bible myself and had my own understanding of it.

• kddicted

Changed the title of the thread from “Why do people think being lgbtq or agreeing/disagreeing with lgbtq is a choice?” to “<3”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!