KPOP will die in the West Along With BTS at this rate

• 894EB546-C0C3-4C32-836C-E184460864C9.jpg

Came across this post and what an interesting point raised. I always knew the current hype surrounding kpop in the US will die down if BTS leaves but the thought that no kpop group will ever replicate that kind of success after them is surprising. And the fact that it’s not because the group may be less talented or not popular but rather being blocked by the industry itself.

I guess there’s a reason they’re the only group the western industry allow in their space and give a damn about…they allow one non-western group to get in, dominate a sector of the market and we think they’re going to let this happen again?

Do you think the western industry are just cashing in on kpop while the hype is still high and as soon as BTS disappears, they are going to pull out the resources and kick out kpop forever or they are willing to tolerate another huge non western act in their circles??

Please keep the discussion civil. I am actually curious about people’s thoughts here

myaza  BUTTERBOYS  MassiveKpopFan  nevermindmejin  itiswhatitisss

onlyfacts  bbgc

• Kpop will keep going on west if music appeal western people. I think most people do not care, if the group is from Japan, Korea or Vatican as long it sound good.

• (blocked by OP but let's go anyway)

I don't think kpop will die along with BTS in the West. The BTS craze will die along with BTS, and because of this legions of fans will be left orphans, true. But for those who don't listen to BTS, things will mostly stay the same: streaming their faves on spotify or youtube, purchasing albums through import.

Unless the kpop industry collapses in Korea itself, fans will still have things to look forward to on the kpop scene. Maybe there'll be fewer new groups, as fewer companies get tempted to grab a slice of the kpop pie by debuting idols left and right, but the kpop genre will still be around for fans all over the world to enjoy.

• There are few different ways it could go,

#1.

ABBA-Swedish music: ABBA started singing in English for the Western market, but after that Sweden became kind of the back-office/factory for world music, even Kpop goes there for some production. But none of that made Swedish music itself any famous. Few individual acts benefitted and the industry benefitted.

#2.

Latin music: That got included into the mainstream West, but that could happen because Latinos are the largest growing minority population group in the US. And given US system, a large number of Latinos are or will be bilingual with English.

#3.

One-off cases of popularity. BTS alone and few contemporary acts like BP will have traction.

#4.

Kpop continues to be so successful, that Westerner start learning Korean to appreciate the music better.

~~~~~

#4 is never happening. It is economic or political needs that drive mass adoption of things like language, not cultural.

#2 will not happen, since Koreans are miniscule in population in the West.

#1 is the best case scenario for Kpop,

A variation is for West to adapt Kpop practices - process, style, methods

I am particularly excited about NCT Hollywood, because then Kpop industry practices are being adapted to a new market. However that might run into legal troubles. Singing up minors with 7 year contracts and strictures, may not work.

I hope it is not #3, a case of temporary one-off popularity due to the massive marketing machine Hitman Bang built with strategic partnerships.

In any case, Kpop is not a genre but an industry. So after Lee Soo-man, it might be Bang Si-hyuk who has changed the paradigm of Kpop.

~~

All that has to be considered in the context, that Kpop originated from the practices/genres/technologies that came from the West, adapted and mastered by the Koreans. So why should West be interested much in something they originated and have been doing well.

So the welcome mostly will be limited to few individual cases like BTS, is my thought.

• As far I as know BTS are not signed to any US labels. CR is just their distributor. So all the money and success goes to BTS and Bighit Music( not Hybe bcos bighit is separate and a private entity). Another reason why industry will be not pleased with them bcos they are not able to cash on BTS.

I would have agreed with this but the western industry is still eating off BTS even though they are not directly under them

BTS was CR top 3 earning act last year and they were UMG biggest act in the 1st half of the year. It’s sad how they barely do anything and yet reaped off a lot more than they invest

• Bts is not kpop. But the west still wont see them as what they are: outperforming everyone. So there’s an element of racism there.

Everyone knows about fandoms and everyone want to sell their mother in this game. Koreans have just seen the light and act on it where others sit and wait and does what they have always done with no change.

So I see highly skilled asian business moving fast and the west is like: wtf happened?

:pepestare:

Anyone can make it in the US - if they show up with english music.

It’s similar for western non english idols/pop groups. Their music won’t be in the playlists suggestions at Spotify etc unless it’s in english and they throw serious money after marketing.

And still a large number of western artists do not grasp the fandom world and it being the make or break for serious money. We just don’t.

Bts would never have made it to all the shows in the US without Army. Not even with a hit like Dynamite.

And a lot of factors are at play. But look at the Puerto Rican wave. That’s still at play, so why not the Asian wave? They just need to put out one hitsong a year in english 🥳

Personally I think it’s refreshing to see asian boys/men in music/movies etc.

They are pretty hot😊. Not many men dances, have six packs and looks great with make up.🧡

I see blondes every where I go. It’s like what you have seen all your life gets boring🤷‍♀️.

• My answer to the title:

I think this type of "statement" rather rude to the whole kpop in general. Before BTS some groups did ok in the west (charting on bb, had tours, won prizes, appeared in some TV shows) and now we have groups doing better than the past groups (obviously with all the globalization) and i don't think they will disappear together with BTS.

BTS dominance has nothing to do with kpop in this sense, West achievements didn't start with BTS neither will stop with them, but we for sure are gonna lose the biggest kpop act of history.

I look at my faves (BP) and i think their achievements are impressive too so i won't exclude it bc of another group success being better.

Now the op:

Kpop won't die, it may have boycott and what not from the industry, but this won't stop people of listening to kpop, buying their album etc. It's a little laughable thinking the industry can do so much harm to the point of excluding kpop when in reality even more kpop groups are getting known (kpop niche still). It is difficult to achieve things in the West with this whole racism (being honest), but kpop will keep up with their fans "love".

• I don't agree and the first two paragraphs specifically explained why. That whole post is actually quite ironic I almost wonder if it's meant to be satire.

Fair opinion. The future is always uncertain but the last point is what I’m more curious on. Do you think the industry can stop another BTS from happening if they want to? After all BTS climb in the west was a surprise, the west thought they were a fad and not coming to stay

• Kpop will keep going on west if music appeal western people. I think most people do not care, if the group is from Japan, Korea or Vatican as long it sound good.

That’s true. But I’m talking more about the height BTS has reached whether it can be replicated and not necessarily kpop cease to exist completely. Sadly with all these beautiful music appeal, only western acts have continuously dominated on their home soil and my question is do you think they will want it to continue this way?

• If companies see a money making opportunity, even with most of them being ruled by short-term thinking, K-Pop won't get completely shutdown. Most K-Pop doesn't have crossover potential, so most of it will probably remain niche.

• So well thought out. I also think something like the 1st point can definitely happen and may have been what the OP was trying to say. The West may try to backseat “foreign” genres again

• How can the industry even kick out K-pop? As long as there's people wanting to listen to it, buy albums and go to concerts they will. The industry can't remove K-pop from YT and Spotify, nor impose a ban on K-pop imports nor deny the entry of Korean singers in US soil.

• Makes sense. English has always been a good way for the west to gatekeep and I agree it may take another army to change the game again

• I think this type of "statement" rather rude to the whole kpop in general. Before BTS some groups did ok in the west (charting on bb, had tours, won prizes, appeared in some TV shows) and now we have groups doing better than the past groups (obviously with all the globalization) and i don't think they will disappear together with BTS.

BTS dominance has nothing to do with kpop in this sense, West achievements didn't start with BTS neither will stop with them, but we for sure are gonna lose the biggest kpop act of history.

I look at my faves (BP) and i think their achievements are impressive too so i won't exclude it bc of another group success being better.

Sorry if my post came off as rude. I do believe every act has garnered success in their own ways. I am just curious about whether the western industry is willing to tolerate another big non English act like BTS as they have well known for gatekeeping and BTS slipped under their radar

• How can the industry even kick out K-pop? As long as there's people wanting to listen to it, buy albums and go to concerts they will. The industry can't remove K-pop from YT and Spotify, nor impose a ban on K-pop imports nor deny the entry of Korean singers in US soil.

They'll just gatekeep TV and radio just like they do for artists from the States.

True the west can’t do that. But they have other ways of gatekeeping foreign genres they have been doing for years

• I agree OP, and the fact that no other group has reached BTS western success despite getting big company push from their own company and a us label like SuperM and BP have supports the claim. BTS are an exception, one that grew to big and to fast in the west for them to be denied but that won't stop the industry from blocking off others, tho tbh industry pushback isn't the only reason these groups aren't replicating BTS success.

• Sorry if my post came off as rude. I do believe every act has garnered success in their own ways. I am just curious about whether the western industry is willing to tolerate another big non English act like BTS as they have well known for gatekeeping and BTS slipped under their radar

I edited my post, i just answered the title and forgot to answer your post :pepe-peek: sorry kkkkk, but I said rude not you, and yes the idea of kpop disappearing when we could see the growth of others acts as well.

• if youre talking about heights, I agree

But kpop as whole wont suddenly lose its appeal because of one group. There are many casual kpop fans and fans of other kpop groups

• I agree OP, and the fact that no other group has reached BTS western success despite getting big company push from their own company and a us label like SuperM and BP have supports the claim. BTS are an exception, one that grew to big and to fast in the west for them to be denied but that won't stop the industry from blocking off others, tho tbh industry pushback isn't the only reason these groups aren't replicating BTS success.

Really? :pepe-clown-gear:

• That seems exaggerated, there's no way of knowing these things. Btw Nsync hiatus and 1D there is an almost 10 year difference, in 2 or 3 years it may come a group that becomes just as a big as BTS, just like no one imagined BTS would be as big as it is today and the next big thing would be a big3 group.

I do agree with the part that the western industry (aka US and UK) will never make it easier for Kpop groups, they will always favour their artists and make them seem bigger than than are. My hope is that BTS huge success and Kpop becoming popular made people realize there is so many great artists out there than the ones the US entertainment industry decides will become the next superstar.

But kpop as whole wont suddenly lose its appeal because of one group. There are many casual kpop fans and fans of other kpop groups

Mainly bc of the large number of Asians in the world 😎😋

• I am just curious about whether the western industry is willing to tolerate another big non English act like BTS as they have well known for gatekeeping and BTS slipped under their radar

The Western industry doesn't have to tolerate anything. BTS are where they are today because of their fans, and their fans didn't need the Western industry to hear about them in the first place. Or am I wrong?

If fans tomorrow get enthralled by a brand new kpop group, then this group will be just as successful and no one will be able to do anything about it. If fans move onto other non kpop things once BTS disappears, then yes it will be the end of the kpopmania (ie. BTSmania). No conspiracy will be needed.

• The hype will die out and it will stay the niche it is when you remove BTS.

The presence in the media is pushed by BTS, so that will die out until another group with a similar demand shows up.

But, as far as fans of other groups go, they won't leave K-pop because BTS no longer exists, unless BTS is their ult.

• For a fandom that loves to talk about how the American music industry gatekeeps Korea or Asian acts so much they themselves also do it...

I mean everytime a new group promotes in the US or releases an English song it sure as shit isn't American fans trending Bts_Paved_The_Way or calling groups up on seeking" AmErIcAn VaLiDaTiOn" or whatever other bullshit they put on them for daring to try...Army love using this line about US fans doing their best to try and safegaurd the industry from 7 innocent Korean boys, but find themselves fanwarring with anyone and everyone who wants a small slither of that pie.

pasted-from-clipboard.gif

• Official Post

I don't think dying is the right term. I think recede is more correct. K-pop didn't magically show up in the West with BTS. It has a niche following here and once BTS is long gone it will still have a niche following here. The niche just got slightly larger. I always look at it like anime which flirted with being mainstream with Pokemon and Naruto, but ultimately retained it's niche following.

I also do think you can never say never. People thought no one would able to break through with a Spanish language song again despite a fair portion of the US speaking it and then we had Despacito.

Kpop is definitely not losing its appeal or fans. I am more curious about the industry POV whether they will tolerate another big non English act or this is all just a ruse and they are just cashing in on the moment

• For a fandom that loves to talk about how the American music industry gatekeeps Korea or Asian acts so much they themselves also do it...

I mean everytime a new group promotes in the US or releases an English song it sure as shit isn't American fans trending Bts_Paved_The_Way or calling groups up on seeking" AmErIcAn VaLiDaTiOn" or whatever other bullshit they put on them for daring to try...Army love using this line about US fans doing their best to try and safegaurd the industry from 7 innocent Korean boys, but find themselves fanwarring with anyone and everyone who wants a small slither of that pie.

Please keep this thread civil. I don’t want this to turn into a fanwar. And also the “Seeking western validation” has always been a BTS drag since they started promoting in the West in 2017

• Kpop is definitely not losing its appeal or fans. I am more curious about the industry POV whether they will tolerate another non English act or this is all just a ruse and they are just cashing in on the moment

It’s not up to the industry but music listeners.

I don’t care if bts is Korean. They have catchy songs and make great mv.

Same with Daddy Yankee. And I don’t understand Spanish.

But the foreign acts better make music in english😂.

• Official Post

I agree with this. They'll probably use some of KPOP's marketing and promotional techniques, but few acts will be able to crossover like BTS.

I also like how you brought up ABBA because that was the same comparison I was about to use. They're pretty much the biggest Swedish act of all time, selling millions of copies globally and snatching several hits, but this did little to help the Swedish music industry as a whole. Some acts get their few minutes of fame but that's all, they don't see any real, long-term success in the West.

I think this is what we'll see with KPOP going forward(maybe to a smaller extent), as BTS disbands or something like that.

• Kpop is definitely not losing its appeal or fans. I am more curious about the industry POV whether they will tolerate another non English act or this is all just a ruse and they are just cashing in on the moment

If I'm being really honest, I don't think many even care about KPOP, they only care about BTS and also BP. Because those 2 are the top KPOP acts there and collabs probably bring them some sort of clout.

If they really care about KPOP artists would have listened to more songs from various groups to really widen their scope.

The industry only cares about taking advantage of what is popular and using it to their advantage

• Please keep this thread civil. I don’t want this to turn into a fanwar. And also the “Seeking western validation” has always been a BTS drag since they started promoting in the West in 2017

Kpop stans have selective memory lol don’t bother. Them attacking BTS and army is always forgotten. But army retaliating to that is what they will talk about while playing victims, just continue with your thread

• Sadly after learning a lot about the western industry I’ve realized they still have so much control over what music gets to the gp. Gatekeeping is not something new to them

I think it'll depend how the following non-English acts try to "push" into the west.

One reason BTS gets the pushback from the western industry the way they do is cause they don't play by the western industries rules and their success can't be controlled by the western industry.

They only have that distribution deal so its much harder for western companies to have any hold on BTS.

If other kpop groups play more by western industries rules than they'll likely receive less pushback than BTS does.

however, there will still be pushback since western companies will likely always prioritize american/english speaking acts

i think that answers your question if i read it properly.

• This thread contains 63 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!