Are Korean fans more "valuable" than international fans?

• If the group have X size of fandom in Korea they naturally chart easier on gaon. But if the group have same size of fandom outside Korea and sell same amount of albums and earn same amount of money with their international fandom, are the group equally successful? Do you think group that do better in Korea is bigger just because they chart in their home country?

• I would say Japanese fans are the most valuable.

Then Korean fans.

Then Chinese fans. Chinese fans would be higher on the list but the Communist government makes it extremely foolhardy to just rely on Chinese bars for album sales.

Korean charting is important emotionally for the idols of course, just like how local artists care about Hot 100. But there is so little money to be made from Melon streams or even downloads...album sales will always be way more valuable.

• I feel like Koreans are success stans. When both BTS and Blackpink became popular in the West, that’s when Koreans became more interested in them.

Obviously, Korean fandom is the most important, but I think Western fandom has a major impact as well.

ღ Sulli

• international fans are usually casual while koreans are ride or die

ad11ae11545c4b3eb5805a7ca39e8142ff38948a.gifvab99d7e017ed0eea8ec207a6947f397b83c72db7.gifv57fd3a357756b7d61797af68f7a3247c55a15e4b.gifvb8a3784d7d06f39831a2371942429ffec7c00416.gifvcc43450dc4b9751b6bbff4f0e97fb2f3feb6cf5c.gifv

𝘆𝘂𝗾𝗶 ♡ 𝗺𝗼𝗺𝗼 ♡ 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗼𝘂, 𝘀𝗼𝗼𝗷𝗶𝗻

• I feel like Koreans are success stans. When both BTS and Blackpink became popular in the West, that’s when Koreans became more interested in them.

Obviously, Korean fandom is the most important, but I think Western fandom has a major impact as well.

Never saw that but that is so on point. They are huge success stan, and they love to follow big groups when they become big. It also quite happens everywhere but those korean stans even start to buy albums.

Then Korean fans.

Then Chinese fans. Chinese fans would be higher on the list but the Communist government makes it extremely foolhardy to just rely on Chinese bars for album sales.

Korean charting is important emotionally for the idols of course, just like how local artists care about Hot 100. But there is so little money to be made from Melon streams or even downloads...album sales will always be way more valuable.

Actually I think same.

Japanese fans are usually REALLY loyal so have them is really helpful for groups since it means their career could continue for a long time. Just see how TVXQ still doing great because of their japanese fans and have a lot money in their pockets.

Korean fans are usually really loyal too and only support one group. They are also ready to spend.

I don't say ifans aren't important but tbh, most of ifans aren't so ready to spend. Some are multi and only spend for 1-2 groups (and you'll never really know which one) adn stream. Difficult if they would be ready to pay for concerts, goodies, etc as korean fans do.

International fanbase is hard to really say too. Some groups are really popular among SEA, other in America, etc. World population vs Korea population isn't same too so now Kpop is more global, it's kind expected for groups to do well overall. But I still think it's best when a group do good/great in one country because it means they could at least do some concert there.

I feel like American fans aren't used to love only 1 group and only spend on it too. That's why Gen3 is still leading for most I think? Because all top groups of now had at least 1 country (Korea, Japan or China) as their main fans before having other ifans.

Also at the end, members are korean (for most) so if they succeed on their country, they'll be able to live of their career longer. Not like western fans would continue to support same artist until their death. They could ride on next popular group once they are tired after all. I mean, just see OD. I don't think their soloist are doing as great as before now.

Treasure - ZB1

f02e618cd7bbbd88c9242e0ee12c5fe9.gif

Then Korean fans.

Yeah, Japanese fans are loyal, and you can often get great touring there, as it's close. Plus the copyright laws make it great. China - I mean, with the bans on activity, it's tough, and album sales can only do so much.

• We need only look at Korean labels for the answer. They are all making groups specifically targeted to Japan and China, most notably SM and JYP. And YG, with 1/4 of TREASURE being Japanese and their new gg having Chinese members.

They've all indicated they are making global groups and if they happen to catch on in Korea, that's simply icing on the cake.

There's several reasons. In Japan they are bigger concert goers and albums buyers than Korea. Japan's market is way bigger than Korea. Japan has 3x the population of Korea. To put it in perspective, Korea's population is only slightly bigger than the state of California.

And you don't even have to be popular in China to make more money just given its sheer size. But people like GD, Lisa and BLACKPINK are banking endorsement deals in China that makes them more money than anything in Korea.

I never thought I'd see the day YG focused on fandom and physicals as they're always #1 in digitals and charts as a label. But it makes sense why. There's a ceiling...

Look at the shrinking marketshare of Korean music services. Melon is hemmoraging users. They are now roughly 30% of the market now. And the Spotify monster is on the horizon and they have to be scared to death.

Just look at the new VFX/SFX performance venue YG/Naver/BH are building. They're doing that to connect to global fans.

Look at the music shows. They've become glorified YouTube channels. No one in Korea watches them, but why do you think they do a million different fancams every week? They're catering to global fans.

If you're making a group specifically targeted to Korea then you're limiting yourself.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Edited 2 times, last by Blue2012 ().

If you’re talking about Korean kpop stans, then BTS had a sizable fanbase.

But if you’re just referring to the normal Korean, they’ve never really been interested in idol music in the first place so I understand why they’ll take interest later after something big happened

I won’t really call that a success stan:whatr:

• If you’re talking about Korean kpop stans, then BTS had a sizable fanbase.

But if you’re just referring to the normal Korean, they’ve never really been interested in idol music in the first place so I understand why they’ll take interest later after something big happened

I won’t really call that a success stan:whatr:

Yeah, NOW. I’m talking a couple years ago. I remember so many armys complaining on AKP how Koreans wouldn’t pay any attention to BTS because they’re not from Big3.

Then, BTS became popular in the West, and BOOM, Koreans were interested.

ღ Sulli

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!