Do scandals affect idols as much as they used to?

• I think this is an interesting topic. For example, people were convinced Irene and Soojin's careers were over. Yet now we know their groups will comeback with them involved.

Or do you think the affect scandals have has always been exaggerated? For example, Mamamoo's blackface scandal and most of Super Junior's scandals had little impact in the long run, at least in SK. Then again, a lot of dating scandals genuinely used to impact an idol's career a lot, which seems to be changing a bit, though the reaction to Chen was pretty shocking!

Maybe it depends on the idols, someone as admired for her visuals as Irene might be seen as easier to forgive. Seungri has many defenders, maybe loyalty will always be there if you are established enough.

What do you guys think?

• No, scandals like racism, attitude, bullying, really do not do anything for idols career. Fans love to cancel everyone but a week later the Idol is still standing tall. To be honest I really don't think scandals do anything because fans don't really boycott companies or idols, it's just all say and no walk. It does anger me because the same fans who wanted to cancel the Idol are the same fans who will forgive them when they apologize (quite poorly if I may add) I don't know if this is just a Kpop fan thing or a fan thing in general.

• Unless if it's dating (stupid but whatever) or something extreme, most fans will continue to support anyway. I'm on the stance where as long as they didn't hurt other people (assault of either form & extreme bullying) then I'm fine. I think it's hypocritical for fans to support western artists while cancelling idols for drugs, attitude, hook ups, etc. and this is coming from someone who is a fan of a lot of western artists

While it would definitely decrease my interest in said idol if it comes out that they're kind of an asshole/diva, I wouldn't expect them to be banned from the industry because I listen to people known for just as bad or even worse attitude problems and so does everyone else. They're just not idols so we give them a pass and move on.

• I think it depends on the scandal. Unless they were accused of or did something severe like bullying or breaking the law then I think many idols can work themselves back after a while. Stuff like bad behaviour, iffy comments and unprofessionalism regularly come and go and Apart from the initial have often there isn't long term drastic repercussions.

Tiffany for example had one of the worst backlashes ever for her scandal to the point where at best she was out the industry and even Korea, and at worst......well let's not go there. But look at her now: she's regularly doing TV appearances, landed a huge musical role and will get her own TV show. Almost as if nothing happened (Korea still sucks a bag of used dildos for what they for to her)

• depends on the person

ab6ix's previous leader youngmin resigned from the whole industry within three days after a DUI incident. something many of you probably didn't know is that nichkhun was also caught DUI in 2012 and was even involved in a car accident (thought witnesses are saying it was not entirely his fault). though this, he's still loved and highly appreciated

soojin is still nowhere to be seen after her bullying scandal, meanwhile hyunjin is back and promoting like nothing ever happened

previous stray kids' member kim woojin was not among the more loved members as he was active in the group, i admit myself to having divided feelings towards him without a reason. when he got into a se*ual assault scandal he was canceled by everyone. but the alleged happenings have been proved multiple times to be nonexistent and pictures provided proved to be copy, crop and phase.

still after all of that nearly everyone still dislikes him without any reason.

i repeat myself, it FULLY and COMPLETELY depends on the person.

• depends on the person

soojin is still nowhere to be seen after her bullying scandal, meanwhile hyunjin is back and promoting like nothing ever happened

Because Cube sued the accusers (and didn't get rejected by the police, unlike some others). So it's up to the court now. Once things are cleared up, Soojin will come back. So yes it depends on the person, mostly because each case is different: severity of the accusations, number of accusers, how long ago the alleged events took place, etc.

• Because Cube sued the accusers (and didn't get rejected by the police, unlike some others). So it's up to the court now. Once things are cleared up, Soojin will come back. So yes it depends on the person, mostly because each case is different: severity of the accusations, number of accusers, how long ago the alleged events took place, etc.

...and how much the person is loved.

ofc other circumstances also goes into account, you can deny it all you want, but who the person is, in the sense of the general feelings towards them, affects way too much.

• ...and how much the person is loved.

ofc other circumstances also goes into account, you can deny it all you want, but who the person is, in the sense of the general feelings towards them, affects way too much.

lol I didn't deny anything though. I was merely pointing that, because SJ's case escalated too much, it turned into a lawsuit and this shit needs time to reach its end. Obviously SJ is laying low in the meantime. For the moment there's no way to know how much the scandal will affect her in the long run.

• Tbh I ain't really aware of how bad different types of scandals affected idols before. But maybe scandals aren't that much damaging nowadays cause gp doesn't care much about idols nowadays, in majority of cases at least and especially about young idols. So it mostly goes down to fans/antis being loud and fans will tend to believe good information about their idol and in the end will stay by their side. Also probably this is why even nowadays idols who depend on gp (aka female idols) will be still more affected in comparison with idols who depend on fans (aka males one) for the same thing.

Also it depends on scandal cause, for example, I doubt anything related to things like blackface or anything racist-like will bother SK at all, it will always be just a noise on "woke" twitter and antis side while like I said fans will stay by idols' side anyway in majority of cases, yet, for example, smth like BS would be a completely different case

And lastly it depends on how company deals with scandal cause some obviously do a good job while others making situation worse

• I think there are consequences and damage if it goes into the legal system etc (especially if proven true like the group chat picture scandal).

But a lot of the so called scandals in kpop are from anonymous online accounts that make accusations that are nearly impossible to prove and are likely from haters.

Or gossipy industry drama that all happens behind scenes that is just someones word against someone else. Such as a stylist saying an idol is a mean etc (who knows if the accuser has beef against the company or with the idol we don't know about the relationships between people behind the curtain).

The other stuff I don't get is people trying to cancel celebs for something they did in like elementary school.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• yea ofc, every case is different, but the amount of consequences that comes just with whether one is loved or not within the industry is too much.

• soojin is still nowhere to be seen after her bullying scandal, meanwhile hyunjin is back and promoting like nothing ever happened

previous stray kids' member kim woojin was not among the more loved members as he was active in the group, i admit myself to having divided feelings towards him without a reason. when he got into a se*ual assault scandal he was canceled by everyone. but the alleged happenings have been proved multiple times to be nonexistent and pictures provided proved to be copy, crop and phase.

You seem to know lot about skz and stays? Are you an active stay?

• soojin is still nowhere to be seen after her bullying scandal, meanwhile hyunjin is back and promoting like nothing ever happened

Their situations are different in basically every possible way …?

• The way he handled the allegations was extremely tone-deaf.
    • He did something bad enough that warranted him being kicked right before the comeback and SKZ's first concert, causing the members stress and giving them extra work.
    • Bang Chan's vlive. It confirmed Woojin only thought about himself and not about how his repeated mistakes will affect the group.
    • Despite indirectly saying he's not friends with the group anymore, he "coincidentally" released content on the same day as SKZ on several occasions, going as far as holding some kind of event on SKZ's anniversary.

Edited once, last by cle19 ().

• Their situations are different in basically every possible way …?

• The way he handled the allegations was extremely tone-deaf.
    • He did something bad enough that warranted him being kicked right before the comeback and SKZ's first concert, causing the members stress and giving them extra work.
    • Bang Chan's vlive. It confirmed Woojin only thought about himself and not about how his repeated mistakes will affect the group.
    • Despite indirectly saying he's not friends with the group anymore, he "coincidentally" released content on the same day as SKZ on several occasions, going as far as holding some kind of event on SKZ's anniversary.

Thanks for explaining!! I hate when ignorant people talk shit and have no deep research about the situations but acts like they're speaking facts.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!