This is why kpop is still a joke in America

• And will never be taken seriously.

@1:55

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I agree it was a joke and hey the way I think about it is they are big enough to be made fun off

You don't see nobodies being made fun of on any of the late night shows so BTS being there and being recognized is huge

• That was a good joke :smirks: BTS being mainstream enough for a joke regarding US elections :claps: and basically saying BTS is capable of having the biggest rallies in US, damn army is honored :groovins:

True. But the way he described them was very demasculating. << is that even a word lol.

• This tells me you've never heard of Stephen's jokes before. He literally made a joke about Bernie and Biden after the inauguration and still do (esp Bernie's voice impersonations) He was being very generous with BTS touting that they can sell out stadiums too but they don't brag as much as trump does.

• What? How do you manage to label 'misogyny' stereotypes towards men?

Because boy groups/bands cater to "young females" and are therefore bad/superficial. Misogyny is hatred of women but it can touch indirectly men, tho it's really about patriarchy, which includes misogyny and expectations of men being tough, not showing emotions etc.

kpop, especially bgs is a combo of men wearing makeup, showing feeling and being appreciated by a lot of women globally (not just them but it's what transpires)

• Because boy groups/bands cater to "young females" and are therefore bad/superficial. Misogyny is hatred of women but it can touch indirectly men, tho it's really about patriarchy, which includes misogyny and expectations of men being tough, not showing emotions etc.

kpop, especially bgs is a combo of men wearing makeup, showing feeling and being appreciated by a lot of women globally (not just them but it's what transpires)

That’s true. Their masculine insecurities

• Because boy groups/bands cater to "young females" and are therefore bad/superficial. Misogyny is hatred of women but it can touch indirectly men, tho it's really about patriarchy, which includes misogyny and expectations of men being tough, not showing emotions etc.

I think what makes it silly to most people is that they know this is just a passing fad. That these "young females" will not care as much once they're older. There's a huge gap between their fiery passion of today and what will be left of it a few years later. I think that's what it comes down to.

Plus, yes, to some extent, stereotypes and such. But not just that.

• That’s true. Their masculine insecurities

It's funny this 'masculine insecurity' narrative because men usually have no problem watching and admiring other men who are stronger, better looking than them. They read and watch superhero stories where men are built like greek gods, they watch pro wresling or sports in general where men are taller and stronger. Yet they don't feel insecure, they enjoy it.

• I think what makes it silly to most people is that they know this is just a passing fad. That these "young females" will not care as much once they're older. There's a huge gap between their fiery passion of today and what will be left of it a few years later. I think that's what it comes down to.

Plus, yes, to some extent, stereotypes and such. But not just that.

You must be American because this is 100% correct. I know it will piss off people here, but it’s kinda true. Look at the boy groups of the past...

Even though they are less popular, girl groups are taken more seriously here because they’re looked at as feminist. I really think this has to do with the Spice Girls. They were insanely popular and their motto was “Girl Power.” When people see other girl groups today, that’s what they automatically think.

ღ Sulli

• It's funny this 'masculine insecurity' narrative because men usually have no problem watching and admiring other men who are stronger, better looking than them. They read and watch superhero stories where men are built like greek gods, they watch pro wresling or sports in general where men are tall and strong. Yet they don't feel insecure, they enjoy it.

But thats exactly what I’m talking about. They have this set standard of how masculinity should be like. For example the tough guy scenario. And that’s why the prejudiced ones mock those who go against this and try to bring them down to make themselves feel better. They sound more like losers honestly

• You must be American because this is 100% correct. I know it will piss off people here, but it’s kinda true. Look at the boy groups of the past...

Even though they are less popular, girl groups are taken more seriously here because they’re looked at as feminist. I really think this has to do with the Spice Girls. They were insanely popular and their motto was “Girl Power.” When people see other girl groups today, that’s what they automatically think.

No i'm not American, I'm French. But in the 90's we had in France a wave of French boy groups (2BE3, Alliage, check them out for a good laugh). I swear only middle schoogirls were listening to them. And it died down at lightning speed. These groups disbanded and the same girls who were so into it didn't give a f anymore. They were even cringing at themselves. A few years later, it happened again: this time with a French rock band, Kyo. Younger girls were all over them. Today: nobody cares, zero legacy. Then it happened again, with a German rock band, Tokio Hotel. Today: same, nobody cares. It happens all the time.

Now, I know for a fact that Korean bg's music is better than the French boy groups of the 90's. But still, I'm convinced the concept of boys dancing on stage is time lmited. No wonder all these groups disband within 10 years top (bar a few exceptions). It's just how it works. It cannot compare in any way to classic bands like the Rolling Stones who are still packing stadiums 60 years after their debut.

Same for the gg btw, I'm not setting some kind of hierarchy between bg and gg. But gg's audience tends to be more diverse gender wise, so you can't really come up with the same conclusions. They're not as much hyped up as bgs anyway, they're not put on some kind of unreachable pedestal; except Blackpink, for reasons, which is supposed to be some sort of revolution? Revolution of what, nobody knows.

Sorry for the long reply.

• But thats exactly what I’m talking about. They have this set standard of how masculinity should be like. For example the tough guy scenario. And that’s why the prejudiced ones mock those who go against this and try to bring them down to make themselves feel better. They sound more like losers honestly

I understand. But it seems most men are okay with the stereotypes they're supposed to abide to. What else can I tell you?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!