Do you think CIX and TXT are the future leaders of the new generation for bringing something fresh to the Korean industry?

• What do you think?

CIX CINEMA

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

TXT ANTI ROMANTIC

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• what exactly do either group bring to kpop that is "fresh"? Judging by OPs examples its the bright sound CIX did for Cinema and the ballad style TXT did for anti-romantic, neither of which are very original in kpop as you can find multiple groups with similar such songs.

I don't say this to downgrade either group or their music, just that the examples given don't really support the claim. Using TXTs no rules and lovesong and talking about how diverse their discography is and how much they experiment with the pop genre as a BG is a better example of something unique TXT brings to Kpop imo.

• what exactly do either group bring to kpop that is "fresh"? Judging by OPs examples its the bright sound CIX did for Cinema and the ballad style TXT did for anti-romantic, neither of which are very original in kpop as you can find multiple groups with similar such songs.

Exactly, like what's fresh about these groups? It's all been done before.

And how many threads about this will we have?

Tell me if my voice isn’t real
    If I shouldn’t have thrown myself away

sFWYLKc.gif

I don't say this to downgrade either group or their music, just that the examples given don't really support the claim. Using TXTs no rules and lovesong and talking about how diverse their discography is and how much they experiment with the pop genre as a BG is a better example of something unique TXT brings to Kpop imo.

Ohhh I thought that most of them listened to other kpop groups without being a fan, for my part I always study other groups because everyone can get to explore. I chose CIX because it is one of the few groups that does not put rap in their songs. Most groups use catchy raps and rhythms that almost all songs have the same structure. I only see the fresh on TXT and CIX at the moment, I will wait for other comebacks

• I don’t know about CIX, I will check it out since you showed it.

Txt has better examples when bringing something fresh like Frost, Dear Sputnik. They do have a really diverse discography but I wouldn’t wanna make claims like that. It’s just a clean recipe for fan war.

:eyes:

that's why I put in the future .... right now there are very good groups ..but I feel like people are getting tired of rap to such an extent that boy groups don't chart on Korean charts, I only see girl groups being stable on the charts and I was impressed by Cinema de Cix and I'm not one to be impressed by listening to kpop.

• that's why I put in the future .... right now there are very good groups ..but I feel like people are getting tired of rap to such an extent that boy groups don't chart on Korean charts, I only see girl groups being stable on the charts and I was impressed by Cinema de Cix and I'm not one to be impressed by listening to kpop.

That really depends on how the public feel like too…they might start liking something else again.

I’m rooting for the boys anyway!

:pepelove1:

• I’m with some of the other commenters upthread - nothing here is fresh. They may be doing these themes well, but it’s not unprecedented.

I also disagree with the assessment that people are tired of rap. Both VVS and Zico’s Any Song had a substantial run on the Gaon charts, plus other rap songs like Changmo’s Meteor topped the chart. (That’s just taking a quick peek at the 2020 #1s and not diving deeper into the chart past that as I’m sure more knowledgeable chart watchers than myself could do.) Similarly the success of both Itzy and aespa shows there is a solid market for rap-driven songs.

I get that international Kpop fans seem to really dislike rap but the Korean audience doesn’t seem to completely agree with that preference.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I hope so because Bae Jinyoung deserves to be successful in all areas.... but it seems that ship has sailed for them

cix debuted in 2019 and their sales keep decreasing/not gaining as much hype since then

If you have a good discography, the time does not matter. all groups have dips and rises example Nuest, OMG. Although if they want fans they can choose to participate in dramas.

• I’m with some of the other commenters upthread - nothing here is fresh. They may be doing these themes well, but it’s not unprecedented.

I also disagree with the assessment that people are tired of rap. Both VVS and Zico’s Any Song had a substantial run on the Gaon charts, plus other rap songs like Changmo’s Meteor topped the chart. (That’s just taking a quick peek at the 2020 #1s and not diving deeper into the chart past that as I’m sure more knowledgeable chart watchers than myself could do.) Similarly the success of both Itzy and aespa shows there is a solid market for rap-driven songs.

I get that international Kpop fans seem to really dislike rap but the Korean audience doesn’t seem to completely agree with that preference.

I don't see kpop groups being popular on the charts without the need for a big fandom. Girl groups do well and people prefer rappers not idol groups.

• TXT definitely, when it comes to both being future leaders, and bringing something fresh to the game.

I wouldn’t necessarily say CIX brings something super new, but I think they have a near flawless discography and are criminally underrated.

This is one of my fave b-sides.

:pepelove1:

• lol okay XD

all refreshing boybands are different no one does the same thing I dont know how thats the "reinvention"

In the end it is my opinion but they are definitely different compared to other boy bands. Can’t you see me is from the concept to the song quite a differently, almost non-kpop-ish, kpop comeback.

• I don't see kpop groups being popular on the charts without the need for a big fandom. Girl groups do well and people prefer rappers not idol groups.

Your quote though was that “people are getting tired of rap to such an extent that boy groups don't chart on Korean charts.”

There are a lot of possibilities about why bg don’t chart the way they used to, but it’s still odd to me to see it blamed on rap when the GP clearly shows it likes rap. (Particularly when there are a number of other possible reasons - the nicheness of the fandoms, the targeted appeal and content, etc.) People like to say the GP doesn’t like rap, but they clearly do since rap-heavy songs and rap-focused groups and artists continue to perform well on the charts.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I haven’t listen them since they debuted. I’m gonna check it out, thanks!

:eyes:
    There isn’t many Astro fan here, isn’t it?

No. I usually rely on the big one here to give me the deets. Overall I’m not a fan of that musical style but I really liked their subunit Moonbin & Sanha release, which is more my style and I really liked some songs on their last release which seemed to bridge the two styles. If you’re looking for more of that refresh style you’ll probably want to go back to the last album and the one before that.

Hey @quark12395 can you offer some tips for someone into the refresh style and Astro songs?

• I have seen so many new groups with "fresh, different" concept but all of them are nugus that won't compete at all for the leaders title so it's not really about who has the most diverse discography that will end up leading. And as others said, there's nothing unique about those songs because kpop groups have been doing them for years - instead you could say they are just bringing a little forgotten genre back but that has nothing to do with leaders and all

• I think txt are refreshing to listen to.

I wouldn't say they bring something fresh, something never been done before but they feel fresh because every other boy groups i try listening to except a few has this similar sound (not as in the song sound similar) and I don't say its a bad thing to have that sound.

• Your quote though was that “people are getting tired of rap to such an extent that boy groups don't chart on Korean charts.”

There are a lot of possibilities about why bg don’t chart the way they used to, but it’s still odd to me to see it blamed on rap when the GP clearly shows it likes rap. (Particularly when there are a number of other possible reasons - the nicheness of the fandoms, the targeted appeal and content, etc.) People like to say the GP doesn’t like rap, but they clearly do since rap-heavy songs and rap-focused groups and artists continue to perform well on the charts.

I'm just talking about boy groups. If I take your essay as a statement I can say that people already listen to rap so they don't have a need to hear idols rapping. That is why groups today just want a stable fandom and have acceptable music within the kpop niche. But I see a growth in indie, rock, youth music (fresh) with love or heartbreak lyrics.

• I have seen so many new groups with "fresh, different" concept but all of them are nugus that won't compete at all for the leaders title so it's not really about who has the most diverse discography that will end up leading. And as others said, there's nothing unique about those songs because kpop groups have been doing them for years - instead you could say they are just bringing a little forgotten genre back but that has nothing to do with leaders and all

There is nothing original when it comes to the kpop industry. That is why CIX and TXT do not strive to feed a certain group of people who only follow popular trends and I have noticed in CIX the risk they take to make a repetitive concept for many but betting more on the vocal so that their music be consistent (Cinema). Well, I can't say about TXT because they are my favorites and they have been taking risks for a long time. I only base myself on this year, without a doubt many groups have returned and they will keep coming back.

• I don't know a lot about CIX but I have seen several people praising their discography as a whole. There are parts of their title tracks like Jungle or Dumb that I find great. Weirdly enough, despite liking bright songs lately, Cinema isn't doing much to me.

As a biased person, it's hard to be objective but the diversity, the depth of lyrics and of the universe is such a pleasure to stan. I'll leave you with the very recent article of KMA commitee member and Music critic Kim YoungDae about TXT and their last album. I can't copy so I'll type or put screenshot of a few extracts:

"As they have clearly shown in their album, TXT is a group whose literary and musical beauty stands out more than any other group in the current K-pop scene."

External Content twitter.com

롤링스톤 코리아
    음악, 정치, 대중문화 격주지, 인터넷 잡지 Rolling Stone
    www.rollingstone.co.kr

• I actually liked Cox’s song Win. They have a similar vibe to txt but still very different. They do stand out from the used over the top dark concepts by being refreshing but I doubt anything they are doing is something new or never happened before

I feel like both CiX and TXT can risk this kind of "fresh air" they have that potential to mature without needing to please the audience. That does not mean that others will cease to be leaders in the future.

• there’s an English translation and it was an amazing article!

• This thread contains 51 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!