I've noticed that both Mafia, and Alcohol-Free have low like numbers on Melon

• Anyone also seen this?

63931 for Alcohol-Free

56975 for Mafia

why do you think recent GG songs from JYP Ent. have so low like numbers?

for comparison Dun Dun Dance has 130k, ASAP has 113k, and all soloist - Taeyeon, Heize, and Joy's recent releases also have much more likes.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Do likes matter when more people are listening to and streaming them versus some of the other songs you mentioned?

Profits come from streams and downloads and not likes. As long as they do well on those two, likes don't really matter. At least to me personally.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Does anyone even genuinely care about likes or think it actually represents anything? :whatr: I watch plenty of videos on youtube that I enjoy and never like just because it doesn't cross my mind.. kpop fans are getting so nit picky these days and try to find competition in everything lmao

• They aren't received well. MITM's charting shows that but doesn't make sense for alcohol free. AF is charting better than Joy's song. Again jyp ggs never received likes like bp, rv etc if I am not wrong.

By the way likes actually do to an extent show the initial reception. I am not saying it's a sure thing but to some extent.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• They aren't received well. MITM's charting shows that but doesn't make sense for alcohol free. AF is charting better than Joy's song. Again jyp ggs never received likes like bp, rv etc if I am not wrong.

By the way likes actually do to an extent show the initial reception. I am not saying it's a sure thing but to some extent.

That doesn't make sense.

There are songs that have 10k likes that are charting in the top 60. While I know some BG songs that have more likes than that and can not even break into the top 100.

Just even making it into the top 50 and staying there these days means that a song is well received. Of course that does not mean the song is a national hit or anything, but it doesn't make sense to say people don't like the songs if they are streaming it.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• omg.

sorry.

why are melon likes relevant?

do people still monitor melon likes as sort of achievement?

how does one have the time to compare melon likes to even acts they don't stan?

• Do likes matter when more people are listening to and streaming them versus some of the other songs you mentioned?

Profits come from streams and downloads and not likes. As long as they do well on those two, likes don't really matter. At least to me personally.

In this Case, it is matter. Likes on Melon usually indicate more uls and more popular. The more people listen song, the higher chance that song will garner more like. This is particularly true for Melon in most cases.

• In this Case, it is matter. Likes on Melon usually indicate more uls and more popular. The more people listen song, the higher chance that song will garner more like. This is particularly true for Melon in most cases.

But that's not true because Alcohol Free is currently in the Top 20? :eyes:

And Mafia peaked in the Top 10. :melon_think:

• That doesn't make sense.

There are songs that have 10k likes that are charting in the top 60. While I know some BG songs that have more likes than that and can not even break into the top 100.

Just even making it into the top 50 and staying there these days means that a song is well received. Of course that does not mean the song is a national hit or anything, but it doesn't make sense to say people don't like the songs if they are streaming it.

BGs don't move like ggs or soloists. Wrong comparison. BG fandoms inflate everything. And no making it into top50 for known acts unless they are out of prime or completely fallen off will never be great. Also i don't think there is any song with less than 10k likes in top60 and if there are those are new flop songs which won't have good chart runs or gaon points. Maybe osts

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• BGs don't move like ggs or soloists. Wrong comparison. BG fandoms inflate everything. And no making it into top50 for known acts unless they are out of prime or completely fallen off will never be great. Also i don't think there is any song with less than 10k likes in top60 and if there are those are new flop songs which won't have good chart runs or gaon points. Maybe osts

That just goes back to the point that likes don't mean anything. You can inflate likes, but not ULs or downloads. Streams you can inflate. Alcohol Free is charting higher than ASAP and Joy's song, so if likes were such a big indicator, that would not be possible. There are also other songs with less likes charting higher than those songs.

I think we differ in our opinions on making it into Melon's Top 50, so I'm not going to even address that.

• i guess because these songs are more popular

Heize and taeyeon reach the top 6 of Melon

Dun dun dance peaked at #2 proving how popular the song was

and Joy have a very great longevity 2 months after release and she's still in the melon top 20

and in the case of Asap, ASAP was more successfull and popular than alcohol free and MITM that's why he got so many likes

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

I think international fans are allowed to like on melon (I'm not sure though) maybe international onces and midzys don't care to increase likes

• I think international fans are allowed to like on melon (I'm not sure though) maybe international onces and midzys don't care to increase likes

there's literally no correlation in what you're saying

International fans have been allow on melon just 2 weeks ago

meanwhile Asap was reaching 91K likes in June , 2 months after the release of the song

Joy surpassed 50K on melon 8 days after release, when ifans weren't allow yet

same for dun dun dance, heize

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• yeah usually songs which surpass 100k are mentioned here or there, and I remember few groups talking about the fact that they have some "number of hearts on Melon"

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• But that's not true because Alcohol Free is currently in the Top 20? :eyes:

And Mafia peaked in the Top 10. :melon_think:

I am not argue against any particular song whether Alcohol Free or MITM. I am saying Melon likes is matter for most cases. Of course for some OST, it can chart hight without much like and the opposite is true for most boy groups song. But without these exception, Melon like is really indicative of how well received a song by general public. Look at the top 10 songs. Look at the time they release to garner the likes. Look at the current number 3 for example. His song both rise dramatically in likes and position from a few weeks ago.

• there's literally no correlation in what you're saying

International fans have been allow on melon just 2 weeks ago

meanwhile Asap was reaching 91K likes in June , 2 months after the release of the song

Joy surpassed 50K on melon 8 days after release, when ifans weren't allow yet

same for dun dun dance, heize

this I what I said I think I wasn't sure how long ago. I'm trying to make sense as why they have been getting low likes

• I am not argue against any particular song whether Alcohol Free or MITM. I am saying Melon likes is matter for most cases. Of course for some OST, it can chart hight without much like and the opposite is true for most boy groups song. But without these exception, Melon like is really indicative of how well received a song by general public. Look at the top 10 songs. Look at the time they release to garner the likes. Look at the current number 3 for example. His song both rise dramatically in likes and position from a few weeks ago.

I disagree. If likes can be manipulated or if they have a history of being inconsistent, then you should focus on the data that is harder to manipulate. But, that's my own opinion. If other people rely on likes to determine whether a song is popular, then that is what they do. Which, I don't think it's wrong to necessarily look at likes, but my problem is when you only look at likes and ignore the other data to come to your conclusion.

• I disagree. If likes can be manipulated or if they have a history of being inconsistent, then you should focus on the data that is harder to manipulate. But, that's my own opinion. If other people rely on likes to determine whether a song is popular, then that is what they do. Which, I don't think it's wrong to necessarily look at likes, but my problem is when you only look at likes and ignore the other data to come to your conclusion.

No, like on Melon most of the time go well with chart position and popularity. I don't know where you get the idea this is not the case for Melon.

• this I what I said I think I wasn't sure how long ago. I'm trying to make sense as why they have been getting low likes

the only reasons is that the songs weren't receive as well than their previous songs

for example dalla dalla reach 100K in 64days

and it's already been 84 days since Mafia release

the number of like isn't low when a song is well receive and popular in korea

same for twice TT was a very popular song, and they reached 100K in 25 days

if AF likes are still so low is because :

1. the number of melon user decrease these past years

2. the songs aren't as popular than other song

songs like DDD, NL, Asap reach a lot of likes quickly because they well receive by the public and are popular

and Asap become viral in Korea, boosting their charting and likes

• That just goes back to the point that likes don't mean anything. You can inflate likes, but not ULs or downloads. Streams you can inflate. Alcohol Free is charting higher than ASAP and Joy's song, so if likes were such a big indicator, that would not be possible. There are also other songs with less likes charting higher than those songs.

I think we differ in our opinions on making it into Melon's Top 50, so I'm not going to even address that.

ASAP was released in April. It took time to climb the charts. ASAP did 3 weeks in top10 and peaked at same position as AF on melon iirc. But AF is doing better everywhere else. Anyways AF shouldn't have been mentioned as it was released in june and will end up with more likes.

• No, like on Melon most of the time go well with chart position and popularity. I don't know where you get the idea this is not the case for Melon.

Because we are literally discussing 2 songs right now that charted well and had some longevity and have lower likes than other songs.

That's the whole point of this thread.

• ASAP was released in April. It took time to climb the charts. ASAP did 3 weeks in top10 and peaked at same position as AF on melon iirc. But AF is doing better everywhere else. Anyways AF shouldn't have been mentioned as it was released in june and will end up with more likes.

Neither of those songs should have been mentioned. Mafia or AF. Both songs charted well and received a good amount of longevity (in my opinion). Are they the peak of what ITZY and Twice have and can do, no, but to say they weren't received well to me makes no sense, which I explained why. I am comparing the songs the OP mentioned. They mentioned ASAP and Joy in the OP, so that's why I spoke about those two.

If I’m not mistaken, Twice and BP typically receive similar amounts of likes within the same period. Only RV received an extra boost than usual, but I assumed that’s because their fanbase was more dedicated on Melon, so they always had that extra push on that front. I wouldn’t think much of likes though. They don’t really indicate much with the way how easily they can be manipulated by fanbases.

• Because we are literally discussing 2 songs right now that charted well and had some longevity and have lower likes than other songs.

That's the whole point of this thread.

Okay, here we go. Except ASAP and Joy, all the songs mention here have more likes and chart higher. For ASAP, I had already mentioned that look at the time it take to garner the likes. See below for explanation from apropos why ASAP has more like currently. This also apply to Joy.

ASAP was released in April. It took time to climb the charts. ASAP did 3 weeks in top10 and peaked at same position as AF on melon iirc. But AF is doing better everywhere else. Anyways AF shouldn't have been mentioned as it was released in june and will end up with more likes.

• Melon likes are the hearts? :whatb:

If so, I thought that Melon hearts/likes are kinda like youtube likes or Gaon downloads (when they used to show them), in that you can stream a song as often as you like and it'll be counted more than just 1 time, while hearts/likes/downloads are only 1 time per song per person/account.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Okay, here we go. Except ASAP and Joy, all the songs mention here have more likes and chart higher. For ASAP, I had already mentioned that look at the time it take to garner the likes. See below for explanation from apropos why ASAP has more like currently. This also apply to Joy.

It does not matter your explanation. First of which, that was not your explanation. You took it from another user.

The end result is that the likes did not correlate to whether those songs were successful, which is your whole argument.

Then when I mention other songs that have lower likes and chart well then the reply is "Oh, those are exceptions because blah blah blah."

It does not matter if a song is an OST or not. The point is that there is a history of likes not always correlating to how successful or popular a song is. There is also a history of it ACTUALLY correlating. So, at the end of it all, likes CAN be inconsistent unlike ULs and downloads.

• The best example is the 2 MSG songs just released at the same time a month ago. Look at the their chart position and likes. Melon like is pretty good indication of how well received a song is.

• Okay, we are disagree here. I am moving on.

• If I’m not mistaken, Twice and BP typically receive similar amounts of likes within the same period. Only RV received an extra boost than usual, but I assumed that’s because their fanbase was more dedicated on Melon, so they always had that extra push on that front. I wouldn’t think much of likes though. They don’t really indicate much with the way how easily they can be manipulated by fanbases.

I agree about fanbase manipulation but not all gg fandoms are that dedicated either. To an extent it shows reception. Flop gg songs also stop gaining likes after sometime. I guess it just depends. Some think it shows something while others think it's irrelevant. Didn't hylt and lsg do 100k likes very fast?

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!