The only challenger for BTS' GOATdom

• Did you think this was about IU before you read it? 21

1. No (7) 33%
    2. What else would you expect from a Whyknock post? (14) 67%

There is a discussion about BTS' GOATness.

However, unfortunately, in Korea there is someone who has a legitimate reason to challenge BTS' GOATdom.

https://theatlas.com/charts/rkOUk7Q8V

total Digitals up to mid 2019

36cb13d0000f82aba59327d47e96e342.jpg

3 Big Bang

2 BTS

1 IU

=====

Someone in Korea compiled the yearly rankings of all Korean acts from 2000 to 2020. He used a Melon yearly ranking, giving 1 pt to yearly #100, 2 pt to #99 and so on and 100 pt to #1.

http://mlbpark.donga.com/mp/b.…TGYtY6h6RKfX2h6j9Sl-gjhlq (in Korean)

I will only list rankings from 10 to 1

10 Busker Busker

9 Park Hyoshin 1127

8 Bol4 1133

7 MC The Max 1140

6 2NE1 1248

5 BTS 1377

4 SG Wannabe 1398

3 Davichi 1558

2 Big Bang 2051

1 IU 2053

===

Again , it is back to the tale of the Jewish Merchant's son and his slave. As long as the son owned the slave, whatever the slave owned reverted to the son.

As long as Lee Jieun's Korean domination is not terminated, BTS' GOATdom will always be challenged.

• That infographic doesn't count LILAC, Love Poem, give you my heart, or Eight. Nor does it count MOTS: 7 + Persona, BE, SLR, Butter, or Permission to Dance.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Thankfully GOATdom is not a monarchy.

And what is greatness, if it can't be measured against a strong field.

So 'Fortunately' there exists IU and some, who indeed can test the GOATness of BTS.

• Hold up Melon didn't exist in 2000...it started in November 2005

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• BTS are still 2nd in digitals ( number one since 2018 overall )

They have physicals

Their cultural impact

Their 4.5 billion usd economic effect per year

Their Goatdom is not centered around local korean digitals only. They tick all the boxes. Number one in 3 of 4 criterias overall!

They became Goat when they won order of merit.

So no challenge

• Cultural impact is perception, can't really be used this early/contemporary times.

Order of merit can be a political play.

The thing is Korean govt. has been pushing Hallyu as an export and now further has chosen BTS as the icon - like Korean legations in other countries demanding contestants perform at least one BTS song.

Which in one sense proves their impact and in another sense, make govt/political play the cause for the impact. Difficult to tell apart.

So only reasonably reliable way to measure are charts, sales etc. Others are too multivariant to assess.

But even with just charts and sales, BTS is 'among' the greatest

- in Kpop, absolutely

- in Korea, of course

- internationally, possibly.

• And when I say you are an IU stan, people don't believe me. Sigh

No one is this obsessed with someone they dislike

Whyknock is the Ult-Uaena, the Senior Stan of the Senior Singer.

I have learnt far more about IU from W;s posts, than from any other source.

And ended up being a fan of IU - though I dislike the concept of 'fan' itself.

• And BTS has no competition for physicals, so while the digital argument is obviously in IU's favor, BTS has a VERY large advantage in physicals and touring. It's not like BTS is weak when it comes to digitals either.

It is like the Conqueror of the world conquering everywhere except a rocky island populated by someone who is at least 1,300 years old, as seen in the picture below my post

• It is true that Lee JIeun's supremacy only exists in Korean digitals, but the important thing is there is still a challenge BTS must overcome in order to become the Emperors of the World

• What about Baby Shark though? It's been shining all over the world for years now even though your metrics can't take it into account. Pinkfong's Baby Shark is basically world heritage, soon to be declared as such by UNESCO.

It belongs to children's song genre, which does not really lead to anywhere else

• If there is no 'definition' for Kpop, except as popular music, why does not Paul Kim figure in these conversations, but only IU. He is there in pretty much every other chart/measurements over the past years.

• If they are #1 in everything besides overall Korean digitals, and even then they are only behind IU, I don't really think it's a "challenge" to their status as a GOAT.

• If there is no 'definition' for Kpop, except as popular music, why does not Paul Kim figure in these conversations, but only IU. He is there in pretty much every other chart/measurements over the past years.

That’s not because he’s not “kpop” it’s because no one cares about him on kpop stan verse.

He’s not hep nor does he have the glitz and the glam so kpop fans don’t talk about him.

• That’s not because he’s not “kpop” it’s because no one cares about him on kpop stan verse.

He’s not hep nor does he have the glitz and the glam so kpop fans don’t talk about him.

Well WhyKnock will assert IU is not Kpop either -except for Bbibbi and Lilac (?)

Hence I started with - 'definition' of Kpop?

Pop is non-generic, it is simply 'popular' commercial music and could be any genre, anyone.

Kpop is simply Korean produced or you have to get to specifics like 'product of the idol trainee system'

Kpop-stan verse is a very vague definition.

• Kpop stan verse just referred to why you don’t read about him here or on Twitter. It’s cuz ppl over there care about IU and not him. It wasn’t meant to be vague only refers to the fans who talk about kpop on social media.

Paul Kim and IU are both kpop. Why knock is just a troll I wouldn’t take him seriously.

• Kpop stan verse just referred to why you don’t read about him here or on Twitter. It’s cuz ppl over there care about IU and not him. It wasn’t meant to be vague only refers to the fans who talk about kpop on social media.

Paul Kim and IU are both kpop. Why knock is just a troll I wouldn’t take him seriously.

Anyway 'Greatness' in this context is not based upon how many people talk about the act on social media, but how many listen to the music, buy etc.

Hence digital charts etc. are more relevant.

This post posits that only IU is the challenge to BTS for being GOAT in Kpop, but ignores Paul Kim, who also tops in the rankings and has many hits with impressive longevity.

As to WhyKnock being a troll, I disagree. I have not seen any abusive/disagreeable post.

Regarding the obsession with IU being an obstacle for Kpop's success and wishing for her downfall/retirement on regular basis, that is just an amusing eccentricity.

• Basically KPop is a genre of music which originates from Korea but are palatable to foreigners, and Paul Kim's music is not that.

KPop stan might have a vague definition but it is clear what is Kpop and what is not; if the genre of music is such that foreigners won't pay attention it is not KPop.

Sometimes, Gangnam Style or BbiBbi, while not produced to be Kpop, gained following among ifans so they are considered to be Kpop. (BBiBBi is still in the top 100 most viewed "KPop"Video and the only one not exactly Kpop)

IU began to produce songs which are more friendly to ifans so her journey remains to be seen.

• Well then charts can be manipulated too?

You can give it political angle or anything. But i see facts and trust economists studies.

And if u wanna go for chart. Count both physical and digital

BTS slay both. Same can't be said for other one

• i-fans = arguing and writing essays about who is goat

s. korea netizens and s. korea president = sending the goat to US as representative in UN

bts = living rent free in kpoppies mind

LMAO

• Only one of Han Chowon and Yoon Sangah can survive in that group. Cube is ignoring Han CHowon's history and pushing Yoon Sangah and her faction, which is what I did not like.

I don't care what you like or don't like, it's not the point. The point is you posted in the Lightsum red carpet thread, the very one the members are supposed to read soon(?), and what you said there is that you congratulate a select few and have no consideration for the others. It's like going to a fan meet and skip some members to go directly to your bias. That's just low, petty and overall disrespectful.

The AKP team is doing the work so we can interact with our favorite groups; no one should use these occasions to express their disdain towards any group or any member.

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!