Lets Talk About Maang Tikka CA In Kpop

• CA in kpop is a sensitive issue. And today I am gonna talk about some Maang Tikka CA accusations in kpop.

And no, you can't cancel me if you disagree with my opinions cause I am Indian(Hindu btw) and I have more than enough rights to talk about this. If you are Indian too and you disagree with me then we can agree to disagree.

Recently some Maang Tikka Cultural Appropriation(specifically of Loona) have come out and I want to share my opinions on this.

Today I am gonna review a few cases of "CA". Specifcally Loona and Blackpink/the only maang tikka CA accusations I know of. Let's go light to dark.

For those of you don't know what a Maang Tikka is here you go.

Stylish maang tikka looks of Bollywood stunners | Times of India

So I actually forgot what you call a maang tikka in my language lol so I am just gonna call it maang tikka. And that pic is way too big but Shreya Kapoor is very beautiful so I will keep it.

#1 Rose's "maang tikka"

Kpop Receipts on Twitter: "Blackpink Rose -Wearing a maang tikka… "

For those who are wondering, right now I am more triggered by the fact that some people can't recognize what is obviously is not a maang tikka but call it a maang tikka.

If it isn't obvious enough the thing Rose is wearing is not a maang tikka, refer to Shreya's maang tikka in the picture I provided first.

#2 Jennie's maang tikka and Loona's maang tikka(sorry I don't know their name)

I am gonna do both of these at the same time cause they both have pretty much the same explantion

LOONA's New MV Is Sparking Debates Over Indian Cultural  Appropriation—Here's What Each Side Is Saying - Koreaboo

Kpop Receipts on Twitter: "Blackpink Rose -Wearing a maang tikka… "

So......the thing with this is I don't know if all of these are maang tikkas or not. But I do know that they aren't a traditional one. Traditional ones are made of gold(or at least are colored gold) and these are silver.

Not only that they have a huge thing in the center(I am not sure what that is called). Regardless here is where I get to the tea. If these are maang tikka's, here is why this isn't CA in my OPINION.

Like I said before traditional ones look like the ones Shreya is wearing(the first pic I provided). Those are the types of maang tikkas brides wear to weddings, women wear to religious events, etc.

The ones that Jennie and Loona wore(if they are actually maang tikkas) aren't traditional and are used as aesthetics by Indians like me.

That's right, the reason why most Indian's wear the silver ones is because they look pretty).

If you don't see why in my opinion this isn't CA. Allow me to explain a little more. The main reason why people consider this CA is because it is used as an aesthetic by non-Indians.

But the thing is, I can't accuse someone of using this as an aesthetic when I do the exact same thing.

I don't wear silver maang tikkas because they have a cultural or religious significance(as far as I know, silver maang tikkas don't actually have cultural or religious significance), I wear them cause they are pretty and that is why most Indian's wear them.

You won't see a bride wearing a silver maang tikka to her wedding(a religious event, at least Hindu weddings are).

Basically, those silver maang tikkas are jewelry that have pretty much zero cultural nor religious value. If I cancel a non-Indian for wearing a silver maang tikka it is pretty much the same energy as me canceling a non-Indian for wearing gold earrings.

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk and don't cancel me(I am not sure if you can though).

P.S- Keep in mind this is from my South Indian perspective(specifically Kerala). I don't know if other places in India have different customs.

• Interesting. Rosé one is obviously an accessory.

Jennie one, i didn't know it was a maang tikka so i wont comment about it as i know nothing about this matter and the religious history behind it.

Actually, I don't know if it is a maang tikka either. It is honestly very confusing. So I just assumed it is a maang tikka.

• Lol CA should only be brought in question when the said people wearing it are doing it for the purpose of mocking the culture. If they were like singing the curry song while wearing one, outrage is perfectly understandable.

I'm sorry but if other people wearing a mang tika and looking beautiful while at it bothers you or you feel like your culture was disrespected you need to take a look at your priorities. Anyone who feels it's CA to just wear this is wrong in my books. Idc

• Not an Indian and not female.

Straight up white guy here.

But to be honest I like those looks.

Those girls look like princesses.

I have no idea if its CA or not (due to me not being a part of the culture)

But today I learned what those head dresses are called.

Maang Tikka. I'll remember it.

It looks nice

• Lol CA should only be brought in question when the said people wearing it are doing it for the purpose of mocking the culture. If they were like singing the curry song while wearing one, outrage is perfectly understandable.

I'm sorry but if other people wearing a mang tika and looking beautiful while at it bothers you or you feel like your culture was disrespected you need to take a look at your priorities. Anyone who feels it's CA to just wear this is wrong in my books. Idc

You just said exactly what I wanted to say for a while but I was kind of scared.

• They do make you feel like princesses lol.

• Interesting. So it's a confusing subject as maang tikkas are used as models to create new accessories so unless it's a super obvious maang tikka the others are just speculations.

Yeah, I feel like the first Loona pic might be a maang tikka or at least inspired by one. Not sure about the rest. But for the sake of delivering my opinion I am just gonna assume they are all maang tikkas.

CA is literal insanity. Based on its logic, every interpreter on Earth needs to quit their jobs ASAP because they're making a living "exploiting" another culture's language, unless they happen to share the same DNA of the people who are "credited' with creating the language.

Imagine having to fucking Google every damn piece of clothing or hairstyle or accessory you wanna wear every day to make sure you're not "offending" another culture by "using" them for "aesthetics".

• it doesn't matter on allkpop bruh.. Make a tweet on twitter so that some local indians can correct you. There's a few indians here on akp

I am an Indian. I was born into a Hindu family in Kerala and lived there for 8 years. I know what I am talking about. Much more than twitter "Indians".

• Nice that you said it

Easiest comparison would be one is burka other is any scarf that someone put on head.

So no CA, you are right.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• As an Indian, I do agree. That's not CA. A proper maang tikka doesn't look like the ones BP or LOONA wore. I would have believed it was CA if they claimed it be something from their own creativity, like wearing those jewels in Tiktok trends.

I almost didn't recognize you in that bread aesthetics.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!