Kpop is nothing without international fans?

• Kpop isn’t popular in Korea south it was never if international fans didn’t support kpop idols will not been successful in Korea it’s bio secret that kpop needs international attention but idols don’t talk about them or thank i fans as they do with kfans

Why ?

• honestly i could see MX ending up like Boyfriend wasn't for their international fans. They charted globally and had their first world tour before their first win. And Wonho wouldn't have any chance of successful solo debut after all scandals if wasn't for his international popularity - in SK, he was actually always one of the least popular members.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Yeah back in the day when I first got into kpop, like more than 10 years ago. Kpop wasn't actually mainstream in South Korea. You had a few songs go viral like Gee, Tell Me, Sorry Sorry but the general public did not listen or pay attention to Kpop (as in idols) on a regular. Before it got all this attention from overseas, no one (actual Koreans living in Korea) cared about our faves. Its main demographic was just middle schoolers and high schoolers. It was extra hard for Kpop groups to get their song and name out there. Which is why when newer gen kpop fans come at me about how 3rd gen has surpassed 2nd gen in numbers and sales, I'm like you don't understand. Back then, Kpop idols weren't taken seriously. They were, for the most part, seemed as childish and gimmicky. Most people did not care. Which is why ever since 2nd gen, there's been talks about general public songs and "impact". Songs like Gee and Tell Me made ppl who did not batch an eye for idol groups listen to them. They might not know much about the idols but they'll know "Oh yeah tell me by the wonder girls, I know this song. I've heard this many times" and at the same time be like "idk any of the members tho". Back then, if you took a walk in Korea's streets, you won't hear Kpop playing all over (maybe 1 or 2 really viral ones). Versus 10 years later today, that's probably all you hear walking down the streets in Korea. It grew outside of Korea first AND THEN Koreans started taking pride in their idols and started making Kpop mainstream in Korea. Before then, nope,

• Kpop was always a thing in korea. Some years less, some years more. But if it wasnt then it wouldnt even have survived until the day international fans payed attention to it.

But would kpop be what it is today without non korean fans? Never. No group would be selling in the millions and no one would even scratch the surface of worldwide mainstream popularity. And for all that basically 90% of groups have to thank international fans for, sometimes the recognition does seem a little half assed. Companies still dont manage to put subs on a lot of content. Yeah idk.

Hell, kpop wouldnt even exist without copying western music left and right to begin with.

But it is what it is.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!