Do obsessive fans know that they're crossing the limit?

• Like, do they usually?

I would assume that when someone is obsessed to the point that it reaches an unhealthy level, they would have some self-awareness about how much they're wasting their life and time over people that would never know who they are.

Honestly, I can't be sure, humanity is full of surprises, but still...

• No, that’s how they became obsessive in the first place, they’re unaware of the limits. I’d like to think with age, people mature and have some self awareness but then again, I’ve seen both men and women over the age of 40 being weirdly obsessed with teenagers :pepe-cross:

• I’ve seen both men and women over the age of 40 being weirdly obsessed with teenagers :pepe-cross:

I've seen this type of people too :pepe-cross: God have mercy on me and spare my eyes to see them again

No, that’s how they became obsessive in the first place, they’re unaware of the limits.

But when everyone and their mother tells them how obsessed and crazy they are, isn't this like an "alarm signal" that should trigger a response in their brain and make them realize something? I dunno, some of them seem like smart people, from what I've seen, but they're still not getting the idea.

Maybe they have some masochistic tendencies :/

• Sasaengs do. But do they care? No, because they make money off of it.

I've seen videos about sasaengs and how some of them are not even fans of the groups they follow, they just follow them to make money.

But on the other hand, there were also poor sasaengs that were so desperate that they would even offer sexual services to taxi drivers and whatever, so they can chase, follow, enter places to get to the idols.

It's just mind-blowing.

• I've seen this type of people too :pepe-cross: God have mercy on me and spare my eyes to see them again

Oli London comes to mind, I don’t care how old that person says they are, they’re at least 60 :pepewash: :pepe-cross:

But when everyone and their mother tells them how obsessed and crazy they are, isn't this like an "alarm signal" that should trigger a response in their brain and make them realize something? I dunno, some of them seem like smart people, from what I've seen, but they're still not getting the idea.

Maybe they have some masochistic tendencies :/

Some people live in their own little bubble where they’re right and everyone else is wrong. What makes it even worse is that kpop companies encourage parasocial relationships so it doesn’t matter whether everyone else tells them they’re crazy, that individual feels as if they have a personal relationship with their fav and this unhealthy obsession blinds them and may even further encourage their behaviour because they genuinely believe they’re in love with their fav and they think that their fav romantically loves them back. I’m not blaming kpop companies or idols here but I can see how someone who’s not mentally mature enough can fall into a pit of obsession. Some of these people genuinely need help from professionals.

• Official Post

Some do but don't care. They just cut off people who try to point it out.

• Oli London comes to mind, I don’t care how old that dude says he is, he’s at least 60 :pepewash::pepe-cross:

<X<X<X

Some people live in their own little bubble where they’re right and everyone else is wrong. What makes it even worse is that kpop companies encourage parasocial relationships so it doesn’t matter whether everyone else tells them they’re crazy, that individual feels as if they have a personal relationship with their fav and this unhealthy obsession blinds them and may even further encourage their behaviour because they genuinely believe they’re in love with their fav and they think that their fav romantically loves them back. I’m not blaming kpop companies or idols here but I can see how someone who’s not mentally mature enough can fall into a pit of obsession. Some of these people genuinely need help from professionals.

On the old forum, there was someone that literally said that "It's ok to talk about how an idol shouldn't be friends with another idol because it's like a girlfriend telling her boyfriend that she doesn't like his friends" ?( (I won't go in detail over who were the idols involved in the conversation or who was the user).

But yeah, just to give you an example of complete lack of self-awareness.

• One of the reasons why kpop thrives is because of the delusion, this idea of an intimate relationship between fan and idol that companies push which does nothing but further encourage this weird obsessive behaviour. Creepy fans will always exist no matter what but I think there are ways to create limits which I don’t see happening in kpop.

• I've seen videos about sasaengs and how some of them are not even fans of the groups they follow, they just follow them to make money.

But on the other hand, there were also poor sasaengs that were so desperate that they would even offer sexual services to taxi drivers and whatever, so they can chase, follow, enter places to get to the idols.

It's just mind-blowing.

In the second case you pointed out, I still think they realize they are doing something wrong, but as time goes by, the ritualistic action of stalking people becomes part of their lives, and that's where the idealization comes in because some of them think that getting closer/noticed by their idol will help them have a chance with them. The routine contributes to the idealization if that makes sense.

I also think there are some people who are addicted to stalking idols - or even just idolize them through internet - rather than being obsessed with them, because they are seeking a mental escape from reality. I suppose these are the ones who don't know they are doing something wrong... or maybe they do, but they don't know how to get out of it.

• I think there are ways to create limits which I don’t see happening in kpop.

If they create such limits, then they wouldn't have fans bulk-buying over 100 albums just to get into a fansign to talk to their idols for like 1 minute.

What is sadder is that you'd think that only teenagers can be this easily influenced and manipulated by the industry but there are plenty of people over 20 years old (or even older) who fall into dangerous obsessive territories. It might have something to do with our society which is full of people with low self-esteem and depression, that it affects adults so badly as well.

My personal opinion is that most people who get dependent and obsessed over something (alcohol, drugs, K-pop in this case etc.) are people who have some unresolved problems with themselves. The "boyfriend" fantasy that K-pop idols are creating is basically catering to women and girls with low-self esteem, who don't feel loved and want to feel special for someone, and that's what this industry is basically providing. Same for the female idols and their male fans.

You can compare this with the so-called "otaku culture", with men (and sometimes women) being obsessed over anime characters to the point of buying pillows and other things (btw, there are also idol pillows in K-pop). Society is making fun of them usually, pointing out that they're unattractive, nerds that don't fit in socially with other people etc., but the premise is the same, they're people with low-self esteem who want to feel loved and special, but they don't have someone to provide them this and choose this entertainment industry to fill their need for love and appreciation.

• I also think there are some people who are addicted to stalking idols - or even just idolize them through internet - rather than being obsessed with them, because they are seeking a mental escape from reality. I suppose these are the ones who don't know they are doing something wrong... or maybe they do, but they don't know how to get out of it.

Yeah, this is basically linked to the stuff I posted above.

Every obsessive behaviour stems from something that has to do with feelings of loneliness, depression, low-self esteem and other factors such as these.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!