Is safe to say HYBE has conquered Japan physical market for Korean acts.... SM is era is over there (for being a stupid company)

• best selling Korean acts on Japan this year

#1 BTS: +1,4M

#2 SEVENTEEN: +730K

#3 ENHYPEN: +350K

#5 TXT +245K

MASSIVE SALES OF 2,7M

SM lost their power there for being a dumb raggedy b****... their groups have potential and they used to dominated, but now for focusing on wherever they are focusing... HYBE has the top 4 selling acts there

• beyoncesvt

Changed the title of the thread from “Is safe to say HYBE has conquered Japan physical market for Korean acts.... when touring starts is over” to “Is safe to say HYBE has conquered Japan physical market for Korean acts.... SM is era is over there (for being a stupid company)”.
  • you sure sm cares about japan anymore,lsm only talks about china

girl that's what i am saying.... JAPAN is a better market than China by mils

any of the groups can't tour China.... BTS and SEVENTEEN alone can play 20 or more domes a year.

a hungry money maker like SM will not waste a country like that...

TVXQ was making the most money on that company thanks to Japan baby girl

lets not act like japan is a flop market... SM is a dumb company for letting that one go

• why hasnt dream debuted in japan yet,they have potential

They did their jpanese debut with a compilation album but sm only release jpn album with no promo neither performance just to take some money from their japanese fans and that's it

Meanwhile their attention swith to china which was a smart move considering that nobody was targeting china

And they were all focus on japan before

Meanwgile they pushed exo and now nct in china

And it was a really smart move considering that now that nct have been promoting in china they have been able to outsell Seventeen

Japan might be a big market

But the market you need to target to boost your physicals is chinese market because chinese people are big buyers

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Don't know about other groups or companies..

BTS has conquered Japanese market as a foreign act. Their success doesn't have any correlation with other company's groups promotions or whatever. BTS's success doesn't have any "If".

Many kpop groups have launched or will launch Japanese albums this year- I got to know from the titles of thread on AKP. But according to the data you wrote, Hybe groups did the best. So, yeah.

Congrats to Seventeen, Enhypen & TXT.

• I think that HYBE wants to have the Japanese market with SVT, HYBE japan, BTS, TXT, ENHYPEN, while in the USA with HYBE USA, BTS, TXT and SVT. If they want the Chinese market they can get it by being successful to their Chinese artists (SVT Chinese Line and Huening Kai) it is not as if the SVT and BTS fan group is declining or that TXT without any promotion has a decent fanbase, they just need being mentors, being in a Chinese program.

• you sure sm cares about japan anymore,lsm only talks about china

Sm just care about the us bc it's not like most of their groups promote in china either (which they can btw)

Sm fandoms just have big Chinese fanbases bc that come from a long story of sm trying there before and now they give up Japan for a less stable market: America and the NCT Hollywood circus

• with nct Japan,aespa and smnbg will have Japanese member they will probably start paying attention to Japan again

Tbh it seems nct japan isn't happening soon. All news and experts predictions mention nct Hollywood, nct 2021 and nbg but nothing about a japanese unit

And according to recent reports nct Hollywood will only have 1 winner so SM will take existing members for the group and idk how they could also take other members for nct japan while the fixed units promote

And aespa seems to be also focusing in china. despite having Giselle they dont release content for j-fans

• idk much about other companies (even hybe as a whole) tbh...

question: what about digitals? aren't they doing good digitally as well?

BTS is breaking digital records overall in Japan, not only for Korean or foreign acts.

Spotify and AM daily charts right now:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

pasted-from-clipboard.png

And Spotify and AM are top streaming services there, much more relevant than Line Music.

Others do well digitally for a kpop act, but are still fandom based.

• Official Post

SM has stopped trying years ago. Though I don't know why, China and America are much riskier markets, at least SM has much better history of super successful acts in Japan(BoA and TVXQ, even SNSD were moderately popular there). I also don't get the point of adding Japanese members if you're not going to try anything in Japan....

This is also lowkey the same issue JYP is trying with ITZY, instead of trying their hand at a tried & true market(aka Japan), they decide to go for the West. HYBE is basically feeding a neglected market(at least on the BG side).

• SM has stopped trying years ago. Though I don't know why, China and America are much riskier markets, at least SM has a history of super successful acts in Japan(BoA and TVXQ), China & America are like unknown territories.

This is also lowkey the same issue JYP is trying with ITZY(and probably their future groups lbr), instead of trying their hand at a tried & true market(aka Japan), they decide to go for the West. HYBE is basically feeding a neglected market.

ITZY isn't targeting Japan because they already have a group specificially targeting Japan that is doing quite well. Instead of creating a KPOP group they simply bypassed all of that and created a JPOP group. So JYP fed them directly.

• Tbh it seems nct japan isn't happening soon. All news and experts predictions mention nct Hollywood, nct 2021 and nbg but nothing about a japanese unit

And according to recent reports nct Hollywood will only have 1 winner so SM will take existing members for the group and idk how they could also take other members for nct japan while the fixed units promote

Unsay this whole paragraph right now :pepe-sad:

• SM has stopped trying years ago. Though I don't know why, China and America are much riskier markets, at least SM has much better history of super successful acts in Japan(BoA and TVXQ, even SNSD were moderately popular there). I also don't get the point of adding Japanese members if you're not going to try anything in Japan....

This is also lowkey the same issue JYP is trying with ITZY, instead of trying their hand at a tried & true market(aka Japan), they decide to go for the West. HYBE is basically feeding a neglected market.

You'd think they'd try to still promote in japan while doing it also in the west. HYBE groups do it. Obviously BTS does it majorly but even TXT and SVT promote in both the US and Japan at a lesser extent, with TXTs push with Magic and SVTs various US performances. I guess what happened with those two is they pushed in Japan first than the US, which is probably the best way to do it.

• SM stopped focusing on JPN....

The thing is, If NCT were to be promoted in Japan, I am sure they will sell at least upwards of 600K+...

SM didn't promote EXO there even though they set records in Japan for sales, touring etc...

You do know that no Korean boy group other than BTS has sold over 600k for an album, ever, in Japan? Even TVXQ didnt, at their peak, in the era were physical sales were higher than now. Only BTS, SNSD and KARA have sold over 600k. out of Korean groups.

You are trying to claim that any random act can do as well as the 3 of the biggest GP successes ever in Japan and even better than TVXQ, the one who paved the way to Japan? Its that easy?

• You do know that no Korean boy group other than BTS has sold over 600k for an album, ever, in Japan? Even TVXQ didnt, at their peak, in the era were physical sales were higher than now. Only BTS, SNSD and KARA have sold over 600k. out of Korean groups.

You are trying to claim that any random act can do as well as the 3 of the biggest GP successes ever in Japan and even better than TVXQ, the one who paved the way to Japan? Its that easy?

they act like you promote there and immediately starts selling.... Japan doesn't care if your group has Japanese members

• they act like you promote there and immediately starts selling.... Japan doesn't care if your group has Japanese members

Japan has their own groups full of Japanese members :pepe-cross:

This is disrespectful to all the groups who have have been successful in Japan, to be honest. Imagine downplaying TVXQ like this. I mean I expect downplaying HYBE groups, but even their own faves seniors.

• SM stopped focusing on JPN....

The thing is, If NCT were to be promoted in Japan, I am sure they will sell at least upwards of 600K+...

SM didn't promote EXO there even though they set records in Japan for sales, touring etc...

Daniel you don't even stan NCT, please stop setting them up :teeheek:

• tvxq and Boa were so big in japan but he didnt really try much for new groups since 3rd gen started to get there....

The weird part is they know they can promote well over there if they tried both BoA and TVXQ are still charting with their JPN releases to this day :sweatr:

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• You do know that no Korean boy group other than BTS has sold over 600k for an album, ever, in Japan? Even TVXQ didnt, at their peak, in the era were physical sales were higher than now. Only BTS, SNSD and KARA have sold over 600k. out of Korean groups.

Watch him claim they can easily sell out Wembley next time. :teeheek:

• Shinee and Super Junior have done Japanese albums recently after huge gaps.

Super Junior Japanese albums are just the Korean albums with the tittle song on Japanese and maybe two more songs, but they not even promoted. The latest full on promotion on Japan was for D&E’s and Yesung’s albums two years ago. I don’t know if it is because the pandemic but they don’t seem to try anymore win the Japanese market lately.

• This thread contains 43 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!