Why koreans mostly only stan one group

• I don't really understand

Most iFans are multis, but koreans kpop fans usually only like one group and avoid all the other groups, that's why kpop groups specially boygroups struggle so much to chart, their individual fandoms are big, but the average kpop fan don't listen kpop music besides their own group

They even drop a group to stan another cause they can't stan 2 at the same time. It's strange

• No that’s most kpop fans I feel like. The vast majority of ifans are single stans too I think.

Isn’t that always the complaint that there aren’t enough multis. People causally listen I think that kfans do too.

I feel there are a lot more GG multis tho. Which is probably consistent with Korea too. GGs always have causal fans.

• it comes down to the definition of stan v fan

stans will go all out for their favourites

fans on the other hand won't

I think therefore K-fans are hardcore stans whereas i-fans are more fans as oppose to full on stans

• Because a stan in Korea means you go to every event you can possibly can. You go to broadcasts, concerts, festivals, fansigns, and other appearances. You buy every album, the lightstick/merch, learn the fanchants. You also go to any tv events and radio events that allow an audience. You will probably even go to the birthday cafes that are hosted for various members in your group.

Being a multi stan is much more difficult there since most people won't have the time or money to dedicate themselves to more than one group.

• well to be fair korean fans are like super dedicated, its insane. so it kinds makes sense theyd want to focus on only one grp plus the whole if i like any other grp than my faves im cheating mindset or sm lol

.................. where are we now ..................

• Official Post

sometimes you stan bc the artist or group brings you to a memory of a happy time or place or person. so when you stan, sometimes it's really clear why you love them but sometimes it can defy logic - the person or group might not even be popular or thatttttt great but it's personal and you can't really argue against how you feel.

you can be fans of more than one but to be loyal and committed to a person or group is a different feel. well that's my opinion anyway, hehe :whatb:

• I think a lot of people who stan 1 group, do still listen and try out other group and give other groups a chance. Maybe not to the extent of being a stan but still listen and love other group's music

I can understand if you stan only 1 group, but if you stan only 1 group and don't check out other group's music, that means you aren't in KPOP for the music.

• Official Post

There is a perfectly logical and clear explanation for this. Let me explain...

I need to start with a generalization, but it's true, I promise. Koreans are highly competitive, this is evidenced through Samsung's rise to global tech domination, esports and gaming, as well as regular life, i.e. school grades, getting into colleges and getting into companies/career building. This bleeds over into all aspects of Korean life, including stanning artists and crazy fandoms.

Add onto this, the tradition of rivalries and fandoms in KPOP, think H.O.T vs Sechskies, SES vs. FIN.K.L and it's a no brainer. If you watched the reply series, they did a pretty good job of capturing how KPOP fans were in the first days of KPOP Idol groups and rivalries.

Competitiveness + Tradition is why K-Fans usually stan one group. It's not as strong as it was back in the day, but it still exists.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!