Is YG still a top 3 label?

• Is YG still in the Big 3? 68

1. Yes (44) 65%
    2. No (24) 35%

Legit, I'm not so sure. YG hasn't had a single hit song this year.

iKON has severely decreased in popularity since B.I left

Treasure still hasn't dominated the charts yet

Kang Seungyoon's first solo comeback in eight years didn't do very well

Blinks have convinced me On The Ground was the only big hit from a YG artist this year

It seems like the Blackpink and maybe AKMU are the only company keeping YG relevant these days. So would you say they are still the big 3? I would say no because Hybe has far surpassed even SM and JYP with BTS world domination, TXT's increased popularity, Enhypen are rising stars, and Seventeen and Nuest are continuing to do well.

Edited once, last by Hopkinz ().

• Rosé song is still covered by multiple artist and charting, she is the best performing solo this year to just iu

dont group her with the rest of yg idols that aren bp

also fuck yg, the only reason they are smth is bp, they could be top700 (like treasure charting) for all I care

• They took part in making what kpop is today and they host some of biggest kpop people. PSY and of course the biggest gg Blackpink so yes, they still are.

I'm not denying that they were not ever in the big 3. Big Bang, 2ne1, PSY, BP, Winner, iKON, and AKMU ? That's iconic behavior. However, most of those groups are inactive, disbanded, or have decreased in popularity. DSP used to be considered a big 3 label but you'd be foolish to say they're a big 3 label now. In one year, if YG doesn't turn their act around, they could head down that path.

• Rosé song is still covered by multiple artist and charting, she is the best performing solo this year to just iu

dont group her with the rest of yg idols that aren bp

also fuck yg, the only reason they are smth is bp, they could be top700 (like treasure charting) for all I care

Thing is though that no matter what Rose was going to be successful. Everyone was anticipating this but I don't think anybody truly vibed with it. It's not a song that people are going to remember for it's impact imo. It only did well because it was Rose.

But I agree, if they didn't have Blackpink now, they'd be in serious trouble. And it's been 9 months since their last comeback :mads:

• Thing is though that no matter what Rose was going to be successful. Everyone was anticipating this but I don't think anybody truly vibed with it. It's not a song that people are going to remember for it's impact imo. It only did well because it was Rose.

But I agree, if they didn't have Blackpink now, they'd be in serious trouble. And it's been 9 months since their last comeback :mads:

You could have stopped at the first sentence. The song was a success. Her debut was a success. Her b-side is very successful. Rosé is legit the best performing soloist behind IU this year so far. Many people liked it. She’s fine. You do not speak for everybody.

The stats speak for themselves.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Well by that logic, you could say that DSP is still in the Big Three.

For OP's question, I'm not sure either. Certainly there's an argument to be made that it's at least the Big Four these days.

I personally think we'll need to wait one more year before we know for sure. I can see Treasure releasing a massive hit that puts YG back on the map. I can also see them not releasing anything or being on hiatus or focusing on promotions in Japan, and never significantly topping the charts in Korea.

No matter what, Blackpink are definitely the top gg, but is that enough to say they are a big 3 label?

• Official Post

I mean by that logic, SM and HYBE are the only top labels because JYP hasn't snatched a hit this year either(or last year)

You could have stopped at the first sentence. The song was a success. Her debut was a success. Her b-side is very successful. Rosé is legit the best performing soloist behind IU this year so far. Many people liked it. She’s fine. You do not speak for everybody.

The stats speak for themselves.

Came through with the RECIEPTS :pepe-toast:

• I do get your point, but imo technically they still are big 3 (if we take in consideration all that they've done for kpop, specially during 2nd gen), but I'm still not sure how their new gg will be

One years or so after their debut, we can take a more precise guess on where YG is heading, but for now I'd say they are still big 3, just Blackpink alone can account for that.

• I think they are still top 3. They are in an awkward "grow out" phase from being a boutique "Hip-Pop" label.

HYBEsha is in a different lane in my mind. They are starting to look and flex more like Universal Music Group, Sony Music or something when it comes to music.

Word is the next YG girl group is R'N'B based, so that's another dimension of artistry for YGE. The guys of the agency don't always have catalog hits, but YGE has a fire streak burning with their girl groups for tracks since 2NE1.

• Official Post

And if you're going to judge one label, at least keep the same energy for others? Since you mentioned HYBE, BTS are pretty much their only relevant act on the charts, like how BP is YG's only relevant act on charts. Please help me understand cause you seem to have a different criteria for each company :confused:

• idk just from people I've talked with irl and on these forums, people were disappointed, including myself

Well, regardless, lots of people stream it/buy it… so I guess that matters more than some people not liking it.

I wasn’t initially vibing with Rosé’s solo, but it’s grown on me a lot since, and I’ve seen a lot of people say they love it, so my experience is different than yours.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• I mean by that logic, SM and HYBE are the only top labels because JYP hasn't snatched a hit this year either(or last year)

Came through with the RECIEPTS :pepe-toast:

But like at least JYP groups are still active, still getting lots of music show wins. Plus Twice is still at the top right up there with Blackpink and Stray Kids have like the biggest international fandom at the moment. That's enough to say they're still a top 3 label imo and of course Itzy are doing well.

I'm not denying that she broke records. These stats are constantly being broken with every comeback though because the hallyu wave keeps getting bigger. I think it was legitimately impossible for the song to "flop" on the charts, but I'm talking about impact and I predict people won't be talking about how influential and popular this song was in a couple years.

• let me add this

• And if you're going to judge one label, at least keep the same energy for others? Since you mentioned HYBE, BTS are pretty much their only relevant act on the charts, like how BP is YG's only relevant act on charts. Please help me understand cause you seem to have a different criteria for each company :confused:

Okay...

BTS: the #1 group by far

TXT: experiencing lots of growth

Enhypen: Rising stars

Seventeen: Continuing to do well on the charts in Korea and abroad

Nuest: Continuing to do well on the charts in Korea

SM:

NCT Dream have been doing well

Aespa had like the biggest girl group hit of the year

Everyone still knows Red Velvet, EXO

SHINee had one of their most successful comebacks in years

JYP:

Stray Kids won Kingdom, have a huge international fandom

Twice had a decently successful summer comeback and are doing well in Japan

Itzy have one of the largest international fandoms and do well in Korea as well

2pm had a grand return that has been doing pretty good on the charts

YG:

Rose was their only song this year that was a hit

Treasure did okay, in general I haven't heard much buzz surrounding them

Kang Seungyoon underperformed

iKON underperformed.

Big Bang are still on hiatus and now Winner is on hiatus with members enlisting

I remember when YG artists were constantly trending, their fans were everywhere. Other than Blackpink, that's just not happening this year.

• time will tell i guess...

the question isn't are they big3 now but rather what is their trajectory...

just like no one judges a company's stock price by their past performance (or rather one shouldn't) but rather by what their future potential of a company is...

• I think no. It's July already and the whole company has released like 5 songs this year, at this point they're not even a medium music company anymore. Maybe we will wake up to the news of Yg shutting down one of these days.

• Let's see

This year without BP or Bigbang cbs so far they had:

Treasure doing okay with physical sales

Rose breaking records both digitally and physically

Winner/Ikon solo and group releases at least charted on melon for some time

JYP so far:

Itzy and twice doing well digitally and physically

Day6 and 2pm charting on melon

There's no difference between both companies, and YG has the biggest peak with Rosé's solo>>any jyp release so if anything, both JYP and YG are out of big 3 together or tied in last place if we count HYBE labels as one

• Idk ikon did like really bad two comebacks in a row. Plus they didn't do very well on Kingdom. Also Winner didn't release anything this year. You have Treasure who has a moderate fandom and Rose who was a success. That's not good. JYP did significantly better this year. Twice and Itzy are always trending and get tons of music show wins. Stray Kids won kingdom and they're always trending internationally. 2pm had a decent comeback and Day6 did okay too. Imo it's not even close,JYP is doing much better and they're much more relevant. Plus more JYP artists are actually active.

• And if you're going to judge one label, at least keep the same energy for others? Since you mentioned HYBE, BTS are pretty much their only relevant act on the charts, like how BP is YG's only relevant act on charts. Please help me understand cause you seem to have a different criteria for each company :confused:

honestly. I don't actually care about the argument about whether YG is big3 or not right now. But to act like TXT, SVT, and Enhypen aren't doing anything is stupid af.

I mean just look at Japan..... its basically HYBE BGs dominating.

TXT is selling 700k, SVT 1M+ and Enhypen 600k. (obviously in comparison to bts's numbers those are "small" but for any other company they're big numbers for any group).

Not to mention internationally, all 3 groups charted on the bb200 at #5,#15, #18. TXT also basically being the 2nd best charting boy group on Spotify this year (obviously behind BTS by far but still ahead of other boy groups).

Yes BTS is the only group that can properly chart on Korean charts for hybe but at least TXT and SVT enter melon even if its not for long.

• Rose's solo is enough to save YG and Lisa's solo is coming soon

and we might have a blackpink comeback this year too.

It's not enough since bp is not that active, they move like bb with one comeback in a while and mostly focus on individual activities.

I don't get why people are acting like JYP are irrelevant like, Twice is still massively successful, Itzy is also very successful, and Stray Kids have the hugest international fandom behind BTS. Just because JYP artists aren't releasing back to back national hits, it doesn't mean they're not doing well. They still get tons of wins and are

Don't forget niziU which is huge in Japan. JYP is in much better place than YG right now.

• It's not enough since bp is not that active, they move like bb with one comeback in a while and mostly focus on individual activities.

Don't forget niziU which is huge in Japan. JYP is in much better place than YG right now.

they are gonna be though YG always finds a way to milk them

btw who is the idol on your icon?

• This thread contains 102 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!