What would you change about korean award shows?

• Here it goes my list:

1. Fan voting: It’s obvious the whole fan voting thing is just a way for those companies/award shows to gain profit thanks to the every ad fans watch to gain points to vote. At the end we know it doesn’t have that much weight even thought fans like to believe it does don’t see that changing anytime soon since as I said those companies want money.

2. Counting physical sales for Song of the year award (MAMA I’m looking at you): That is just plain ridiculous and put in disadvantage songs that have higher digitals but either zero physical sales or just low sales. Basically artists that are stronger in digitals rather than physicals just get nothing.

3. Judges committee: I’m not against about the panel of judges criteria in some award shows when it’s not being used just for the sake of giving away awards like AAA award that till this day I have no idea how the criteria works.

4. Counting youtube views for best MV and best dance performances: For these awards it’s obvious the main criteria is popularity rather that what is exactly the best but again if it is just choose by “judges” fans are going to be mad anyways so they have to go with some data to choose the winner “fairly”

5. Combining all album versions and repackages for Album of the year: Just like (2) I think is unfair and put in disadvantage an artist that probably only released one version so I think award shows should just count the main one.

6. Physical sales weighting more than digitals for Artist of the year:Let me put a example at what happen (using Gaon data which is what most award shows do):

(A) sold 3M physical copies but their digital points are around 200M

(B) sold 400k physical copies and their digital points are around 1.5B

(A) artist have more chances to win than (B) solely because physical sales are higher. Soloist and girlgroups are always affected by this and I really think it should be equal and weight the same at the moment to choose who is the artist of the year.

• 1. Agree.

2. No strong opinion. But agree i guess.

3. Agree

4. STRONGLY AGREE. I can't stress how important it is for them to not count MV views for this award.

5. Disagree. Album version are standard, they all should be counted. Repackages are renamed albums with few songs and rest of the material is same. That's why it's called Repackage. I mean, it's a marketing strategy. It works. :eyes:

6.Agree

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• I get your point with the 5 because it is for a fact a smart marketing move and only few artist are able to actually do big numbers with them.

• 2. Counting physical sales for Song of the year award (MAMA I’m looking at you): That is just plain ridiculous and put in disadvantage songs that have higher digitals but either zero physical sales or just low sales. Basically artists that are stronger in digitals rather than physicals just get nothing.

THIS. I don't like this criteria.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• 1. Fan voting should not be excluded. Award shows need interaction just like some shows do. But they should be allowed for only fan voted awards like popularity awards and stuff like that. Not major music categories

2. I agree with the not counting physicals for soty. Because just as you said, the song doing well on the charts is what deserves it, not the one barely anyone has heard off.

3. Judges committee is still very important. We have users here complaining that some songs only win because the acts are popular and so it does well on chart. They want quality to win and not quantity so it’s fair there should be experts on board. I don’t agree for AAA but I appreciate judges on mama and kma

4. I read that the best dance performances are actually awarded to viral dances and not exactly best choreo or best moves. That’s why dynamite got nominated over ON and black swan last year. I don’t get why they use YT streams to select that though

5. I don’t really mind them combining album versions to count. At the end of the day, if you feel unlucky just release more versions lol. No one is stopping you. Just that some people have buyers for their physicals while some don’t so for me it’s still advantage. If you want only digital albums there are some awards that award that so I don’t see why some other awards should change their criteria too.

6. At the end of the day physicals are gonna weigh more than digitals because of the simple fact that physicals is a higher form of music consumption, more expensive and so it should be worth more. It’s a universal thing for physicals to be weighed more than digitals not just in kpop so I don’t see why they should change this too. They can however increase the worth of digitals but physicals should still be ahead

I don’t really have a problem with kpop award shows. There are different varieties awarding different people based on different criteria so that one act doesn’t hoard all the awards. That’s a good thing. BTS is an anomaly so you don’t see this, but if they are excluded, you realize how there’s a fair chance for other acts to take other awards from different shows

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!