[Updated] Controversial return of the Lee twins + the twins tell their side of story

• The twins Lee Dayoung and Lee Jaeyoung, 25, were key players of South Korea's women's volleyball team and Heungkuk Life Pink Spiders club. Back in February, they became a talk of town as they were found guilty to the accusation that they bullied junior players when they were senior players of their middle school. The accusation was extreme and included actions like threatened disobedient juniors with knife or hit them with cloth hanger. Victims said the coach knew everything but turned blind eyes as the twins were keys to the victory of the team. After becoming ultimate villains and being suspended indefinitely from both Pink Spiders and national roster, the twins expressed that the accusation was exaggerating and they had reported the accuser of slandering to make their cases clear yet, nothing had been cleared since.

640_7kii8ee99ighibf7bikhb.jpg

The absence of the twins was imminent to both Pink Spiders and the national teams. Both teams performed much poorer since. Thus, the attempt to bring them back was not surprising.

On June 11, CAAN, an athlete agency based in Turkey reported via its website that Lee Dayoung had signed with PAOK Thessaloniki, a top team of Greek league.

qv9tvif17JL94PM7i9o-o.jpg

KOVO, Korean Volleyball Federation, responded that the transfer of any Korean player must be granted by it and it could not do so as Lee Dayoung had caused a big social issue which had not been sorted out. According to the rule of FIVB, Federation Internationale de Volleyball, ITC, international transfer certificate, from the domestic authority is required for a professional athlete to play for a foreign club.

Still, the transfer of Lee Dayoung to Greece has not been shut down completely. There is a plan B, which is to request the ITC directly from FIVB. This is the intervention to protect the athlete from domestic abuse. As KOVO has a reasonable ground to suspend Lee Dayoung, the action may not be deemed as an abuse of power, deserving an intervention of FIVB.

Yet, on June 20, a Greek outlet reported that Lee Dayoung had been confirmed moving to PAOK. A manager of CAAN tole the journalist that he had acknowledged the stance of KOVO regarding Lee Dayoung yet, the athlete would be transferred accordingly to the rule of FIVB. This suggested Lee Dayoung would get ITC from FIVB.

On June 23, Pink Spiders had a meeting with KOVO and revealed its plan to register Lee Dayoung and Lee Jaeyoung as members of the club for the next season and to lend Lee Dayoung to the Greek club.

Kim Yeo Il, the manager of Pink Spiders, excused that the registration was required or both players would become free agents. Lee twins signed 3 season contracts with the club and it had been only 1 season since.

The attempt to bring the twins back enraged K-netz. Korean sport journalists too expressed that the comeback of the twins was expected yet, now was too early. The twins had not officially apologised to all victims and to go working oversea looked remorseless for Lee Dayoung. Also, the action of Pink Spiders played down the pain of bullying. While Pink Spiders' staff kept replying to the journalist that the club had had no plan for the twins, it had been pushing to send Lee Dayoung oversea and had decided to bring Lee Jaeyoung back in the next season all along. Pink Spiders had lied to the press.

Even if they could come back this early, things will not go smooth for both twins. The Spanish Maya, who fought with Lee Dayoung when they were teammates in Suwon Hyundai Hillstate for 2018-2019 season, reportedly has signed with PAOK. And, just before the bullying accusation, both Lee Dayoung and Lee Jaeyoung had to skip a match as they had a fight with the Kim Yeon Koung, the captain of Pink Spiders and a national superstar. Kim told the press that it was mere a usual conflicting opinions between teammates but, it was rumored that Lee Dayoung cheating on Kim Yeon Koung with a male model. Lee Jaeyoung is not a main character in the personal conflict yet, it must be a tension working with her sister's ex.

• I mean them being trash people, and being later suspended for some time, and kind of disqualified to being allowed to national team is ok

but time passes on, and they should be allowed to play in club team from another country if their current club is ready to loan them there or sell them.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• MBC has released the interview with 3 victims & their parents. here are some excerpts

A: When I saw the news of them suing victims, I knew it, they would never change.

B: The hand-written apology letters they posted were lies.

Narrator: The lawyer of the twins stated that the accusation posted online was completely false, the twins never abused verbally nor physically.

C revealed the apology text Lee Dayoung sent her.

C's mother: I'm scared. How can powerless commoners like us fight them back?

C's Mother: She told me about school violence when she was in second year of middle school.

C: Every days were hell. They made team's members beat and cursed me.

B: No one would understand if they were not their fellow dorm residents. (School's athletes lived in dorm.)

A: If I said anything that displeased them, they would slapped me at the mouth. They might punched me when they walked past me annoying by my presence.

C: I was beaten and cursed daily. They said "Is this taught by your parents?".

C was the one threatened by knife by Lee Dayoung after C refused to run an errand for her.

C: She could not control her anger. She came back with a knife and placed it on my neck. I thought she meant to stab the wall and it was a cut on my neck. It was a fruit knife.

C's mother revealed C still needed therapy and took medication daily.

A: I love volleyball but, every times I see it, I'm reminded of them.

A felt lost and empty as she had to end her dream of being pro volleyball player she had worked hard for due to PTSD resulting from the twins.

Top comments

+2331, -4) What is this, apologized but filed a lawsuit later? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Do they have split personalities?

+1741, -4) The club is problematic but, what's the federation doing? This is extreme and can't be ignored.

+922, -4) Boycott Heungkuk.

+747,-2) Am I the only one more astonished by Heungkuk?

A protest campaign against the comeback of the twins has run.

A group of volleyball fans fundraised to launch a protest campaign. On June 28 and 29, an ads truck was hired to run around Jongno district where Heungkuk Life headquarter sited before heading to KOVO's office in Sangam.

qveuneuos313LFh21cY-o.jpg

The message on the ads goes as following

"This message from women's volleyball fans aims for the justice in Republic of Korea and the end of violence"

"Heungkuk Life is merciless to the victims. Do you gross over the victim and the fan?"

"Sued the victim 2 months after being exposed and coming back after 4 months. Heungkuk Life is protecting remorseless culprits"

"The comeback of the bullies is protested by everyone but Heungkuk Life"

I mean them being trash people, and being later suspended for some time, and kind of disqualified to being allowed to national team is ok

but time passes on, and they should be allowed to play in club team from another country if their current club is ready to loan them there or sell them.

You can't say the attempt to set a harsh example to relieve the toxicity in sport circle so kids can pursue their dreams healthily is bullshit.

• bzzz

Changed the title of the thread from “Controversial return of the Lee twins” to “[Updated] Controversial return of the Lee twins + The victims interviewed”.
  • The twins tell their side of the story.

qvj1ul3sqrZ76KG9VwQj-o.jpg

Following the heavy backlash, the president of Heungkuk Life Pink Spiders decided to not register Lee Dayoung and Lee Jaeyoung as players of the club in the coming season. This action automatically terminated the contract between Pink Spiders and the twins thus, they have become free agents.

They then gave interview to KBS narrating their version of the event.

The twins insisted the accusation was partly false. Lee Dayoung said she scolded with a knife in her hand but never laid it on the victim also, she apologized to the victim on the next day.

Once the bullying news broke in February, the twins wanted to clarify everything but, they were blocked by the club. Pink Spiders urged them to keep silent and wrote apology letters or their contracts might be terminated. They were obedient to the club's decision yet, they club left them. They were worried sick about their future. They said they had been reflecting for their wrongdoings yet, they would continue the lawsuit for justice.

• bzzz

Changed the title of the thread from “[Updated] Controversial return of the Lee twins + The victims interviewed” to “[Updated] Controversial return of the Lee twins + the twins tell their side of story”.
  • I mean them being trash people, and being later suspended for some time, and kind of disqualified to being allowed to national team is ok

I look at it as , they are NOT even S.K COURT GUILTY of any CRIME , that I know of it ... But , them working in *another* nation might seem as a good solution ??? ... NOT saying that I like them ... Or those who are victims of them should like them ... MAYBE some kind of MONEY PAYMENT from them to the VICTIMS , some *financial compensation agreement* , would have some logic to it ??? ...

Who knows.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!