Why don't new kpop fans look into kpop history?

• majority of hip hop fans in america all seem to look into the history of hip hop.

Rock fans all know who acdc is.

And hell, even 1directioners know who backstreet boys are.

But why cant newer gen fans do some research? Here let me assist you.

TVXQ

Rising sun

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mirotic

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

These are arguably their 2 biggest hits in Korea. Listen to both and you'll understand why they were such a big deal back then.

SNSD

Gee

I got a boy

Gee was the birth of twice a new concept in kpop and its ridiculous catchy tune propelled them to the biggest gg of their time!

IGAB was an international success racking up views and they won awards for that album also won YouTube video of the year!!

These are only 2 of many, i don't know why kpop fans never bother to learn... there are so many great discographies....

T-ara

4minute

Etc etc...

I just want to know why you dont bother why is that? When I first got into kpop in 2011. I quickly learnt of all the groups. Ss501 shinhwa ses i learnt all of them.

Now people are like 'huh what's an afterschool' ;(

You know I just can't stop it when my heart sky rockets for you
    2ea319bd63705a25c50232df2ae317d871d3ad36.gifv d1ef5d384b1910b5a37c49c48b1b0c82fd7573ed.gifv 1f0bd7c83dbb180bdf5e7b6f561bb556fa21671f.gifv

• Go to Best Answer
  • There's a difference between knowing who someone is and expecting for someone to endlessly praise a group that they don't even know.

Kpop fans /2nd gen stans take it too far. Stop expecting for people to study the whole history of Kpop when they only like BTS (as an example).

• You know, I find it funny why in the Western world even young people know of legends like Michael Jackson, Whitney Huston, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Beyonce, Rihanna.

Like even new young music listeners praise them and know of their legendary status.

But suddenly when people mention old KPOP groups new fans be like "WHY DO I NEED TO CARE ABOUT THEM MY FAVES MADE KPOP FAMOUS" and gets offended :S:S

• There's a difference between knowing who someone is and expecting for someone to endlessly praise a group that they don't even know.

Kpop fans /2nd gen stans take it too far. Stop expecting for people to study the whole history of Kpop when they only like BTS (as an example).

Yeah, but they drag and bash 2nd groups that they don't know and haven't even studied. I only get mad at that time, besides I have no problem.

I don't think you get it.

Some of them have never heard a super junior song... that's how much they ignore kpop history.

I once spoke to an ateez fan who said they never heard exo before.. its becoming quite clear they ignore older groups on purpose. Which is strange. Very strange to me.

You know I just can't stop it when my heart sky rockets for you
    2ea319bd63705a25c50232df2ae317d871d3ad36.gifv d1ef5d384b1910b5a37c49c48b1b0c82fd7573ed.gifv 1f0bd7c83dbb180bdf5e7b6f561bb556fa21671f.gifv

• You know, I find it funny why in the Western world even young people know of legends like Michael Jackson, Whitney Huston, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Beyonce, Rihanna.

Like even new young music listeners praise them and know of their legendary status.

But suddenly when people mention old KPOP groups new fans be like "WHY DO I NEED TO CARE ABOUT THEM MY FAVES MADE KPOP FAMOUS" and gets offended.

That's not a good example, imo. Almost everyone knows who those artists are because they were/are worldwide legends.

Groups like SNSD and TVXQ were legends in Kpop/Korea so if someone only got into Kpop because they saw NCT perform in America, they aren't going to know about those groups unless they look into it.

• Yeah, but they drag and bash 2nd groups that they don't know and haven't even studied. I only get mad at that time, besides I have no problem.

Yeah, that's not right but I have seen 2nd generation stans complain about kpop fans not knowing anything, in general when you wouldn't really know about these groups unless you looked or are around old kpop fans.

• That's not a good example, imo. Almost everyone knows who those artists are because they were/are worldwide legends.

Groups like SNSD and TVXQ were legends in Kpop/Korea so if someone only got into Kpop because they saw NCT perform in America, they aren't going to know about those groups unless they look into it.

Stream 1990s + 2000s + 2010s artist collab

External Content www.youtube.com

• Yeah, that's not right but I have seen 2nd generation stans complain about kpop fans not knowing anything, in general when you wouldn't really know about these groups unless you looked or are around old kpop fans.

So it's true I guess? Since you already said that they wouldn't know about those groups, and so when 2nd Gen stans say KPOP fans don't know anything they are right about it because ... they don't

• I don't think you get it.

Some of them have never heard a super junior song... that's how much they ignore kpop history.

I once spoke to an ateez fan who said they never heard exo before.. its becoming quite clear they ignore older groups on purpose. Which is strange. Very strange to me.

I remember a few years ago, during the 2nd season of produce, one of the teams covered Sorry Sorry. A while later Super Junior performed Sorry Sorry in a music show special and an enraged fan stormed the comments section demanding a clarification as to how this group could just casually plagiarise the song AND CHOREOGRAPHY of Kang Daniel's team. It was surreal :pepe-joy:

The fandom still uses screenshots of their meltdown as a meme

• Honestly, some just can't be bothered.

For example, I love eating meat, but I don't have to know the history of meat to actually enjoy eating it.

Why'd spend time learning about old groups that already disbanded? It's gonna break their heart if they actually fell in love with them.

But for those who rudely insults, it's just immaturity and pure rudeness. No other explanation.

• I don't think you get it.

No, I think I do get it and you are proving my point.

Do you think that Ariana Grande stans are expected to listen to a Mariah Carey song? No, because they are liking Ariana for her music, not Mariah's.

It's their choice if they want to listen to a Super Junior song and some people just don't like old music, especially if they are stanning the new generation for its modern concept.

Heard an exo song?

Nobody is ignoring the 2nd generation. People are just sticking to their faves.

• Maybe not insult, but a lot of people like to say things like "those groups weren't even as big look at now" or that they "didnt do much to make KPOP popular", and belittle what 2nd Gen groups achieved.

And when people call them out about it, they go on and be like "REMEMBER THE TIMES YOU GUYS USED TO RUB YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS IN MY FAVES FACES NOW MY FAVES ARE BIGGER WHOS TALKING NOW?"

• Wait, didn't Kpop start in 4th gen?

I only listened to SNSD and Miss A from 2nd generation and BoA from 1st generation. I'm not that interested in older acts. I know they exist, it's just that I've never listened to them.

I'm not a fan of the K-pop genre, I'm a fan of the acts I listen to. I see no obligation to listen to other acts.

• Yeah, that's not right but I have seen 2nd generation stans complain about kpop fans not knowing anything, in general when you wouldn't really know about these groups unless you looked or are around old kpop fans.

2nd gen groups have brought up only when new kpop fans have started denying their contribution in kpop when they don't even know who they are. Then I have explained 2nd gen's contribution but majority of them denies it brings Seo Taji & Boys. They like ignore only 2nd gen lol. Act like kpop has started with Seo Taji & Boys went direct to 3rd gen.

There's an in-between that is called 'respecting'.

Pop music, by definition, draws the widest and most diverse audience. Therefore it also is the shallowest, the most casual ie. the less interested in musicianship, songwriting, composition, etc.

As a metalhead in my teen years, it was natural for me to have some knowledge and some respect for the forefathers of the genre even if I didn't really listen to them myself.

Another strange thing to me are those who only listen to one group (like BTS, just to pick a name at random). How can you say you like k-pop if you're only interested in one group?

Studies confirmed you'll have more fun spending time with goth traffic wardens than with kpoppers who proved to be the worst bunch of sad pandas known to man.

KTzyVl.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!