Britney Spears songs that hit different now because of the conservatorship

• I think she has been giving us little hints her entire career about how she feels, but we didn't listen. Up first we have her cover of My Prerogative (of all the songs she could have chosen to cover, what an interesting choice)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They say I'm crazy, I really don't care

That's my prerogative

They say Im nasty, but I don't give a damn

Everybody's talking all this stuff about me

Why don't they just let me live?

(Tell me why)

I don't need permission, make my own decisions

That's my prerogative

It's the way that I want to live

Next we have Overprotected and she couldn't be more subtle

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I need time, love, joy

I need space

I need me

Say hello to the girl that I am

You're gonna have to see through my perspective

I need to make mistakes just to learn who I am

And I don't wanna be so damn protected

There must be another way

'Cause I believe in taking chances

But who am I to say what a girl is to do?

God, I need some answers

What am I to do with my life?

(You will find it out, don't worry)

How am I supposed to know what's right?

(You just gotta do it your way)

I can't help the way I feel

But my life has been so overprotected

I'm so fed up with people telling me to be someone else but me

Then there's Lucky and this one is sad because it was one of her very first songs. She's been feeling this way for a long time

She's So lucky

She's a star, but she cries cries cries in her lonely heart thinking

If there's nothing missing in my life than why do these tears come at night.

Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman. A coming of age song where she wanted freedom, asked for it, but sadly never got it

I'm not a girl

Not yet a woman

All I need is time

A moment that is mine

While I'm in between

I'm not a girl

There is no need to protect me

It's time that I

Learn to face up to this on my own

I've seen so much more than you know now

So don't tell me to shut my eyes

Stronger of course

Hush, just stop

There's nothing you can do or say, baby

I've had enough

I'm not your property as from today, baby

You might think that I won't make it on my own

But now I'm

Stronger than yesterday

Now it's nothing but my way

My loneliness ain't killing me no more

I, I'm stronger

Then I ever thought that I could be, baby

I used to go with the flow

Didn't really care 'bout me

You might think that I can't take it, but you're wrong

Finally there's Slave 4 U

I know I may be young

But I've got feelings too

And I need to do

What I feel like doing

So let me go and just listen

All you people look at me like I'm a little girl

Well did you ever think it'd be okay

For me to step into in this world

Always saying little girl don't step into the club

Well I'm just tryin' to find out why

'Cause dancing's what I love

Like 99% of pop songs are about love or lost love. So the fact that there's a theme of begging for freedom among her songs that aren't about love is very telling.

#FreeBritney

• About what Britney has been going through or about the lyrics?

What's she's being going through.

Most of the songs you posted I've just seen as her playing into and balancing her mega pop-star image as a teenager/young adult and at the same time sex icon. Kinda innocent sexy (as creepy as that sounds).

• What's she's being going through.

Most of the songs you posted I've just seen as her playing into and balancing her mega pop-star image as a teenager/young adult and at the same time sex icon. Kinda innocent sexy (as creepy as that sounds).

And perhaps I'm over analyzing, but with songs like Overprotected it's like, this is 100% applicable to her situation right now. Then lyrics from her other songs can be interpretted in that way.

• And perhaps I'm over analyzing, but with songs like Overprotected it's like, this is 100% applicable to her situation right now. Then lyrics from her other songs can be interpretted in that way.

Yes, I could see that being the case with Overprotective for sure but I'm not sure how much control she has over her own music. Would be cool if you're right.

• She was forced to work against her free will even while she was sick

She is not allowed to have anymore children

She is not allowed to make decisions with the money she earns.

Oh well if she proves that she is well enough to take care of herself to the judge and jury if she goes to court over it, then she'll be fine

• It's definitely a weird situation on the surface. But for the court to have granted her father so much power with so many stipulations that Britney has to follow, something tells me that there is so much that occurred behind the scenes that a judge felt it was the right thing at the time the conservatorship was granted.

Maybe things have changed. But I can only imagine the details that we're not privy to of how crazy things got with her life. Hopefully if she proves to the court that she does indeed have her life in order, she can take control of her finances again as long as her kids are protected.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!