Disney casts a brown skinned Latina actress for the role of Snow White, who says she won't lighten or bleach her skin for the role

• she will do well, and she fits character

ok1.jpgok2.jpgok3.jpg

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• How they will get around that I have no idea, unless they change her name

The Queen named her daughter snow white because her skin was as white as snow

I guess they will change the name

• How they will get around that I have no idea, unless they change her name

The Queen named her daughter snow white because her skin was as white as snow

I guess they will change the name

it's ridiculous. "skin white as snow" is literally a reason why she's called snow white. actress of any race can play the role of ariel because she's a mermaid, a mythical being; but casting a poc actress for a role of a character whose description is "skin white as snow" is insanity.

we get it, you're woke, now get your sanity back because this is alarming.

• it's ridiculous. "skin white as snow" is literally a reason why she's called snow white. actress of any race can play the role of ariel because she's a mermaid, a mythical being; but casting a poc actress for a role of a character whose description is "skin white as snow" is insanity.

we get it, you're woke, now get your sanity back because this is alarming.

Yeah.

They kinda white washed some of the cast for Aladdin and now are doing the opposite for this film. I don't get it.

No one would have complained if they cast a fair skinned white girl for Snow White. They could adjust the lighting to make her fairer though, she's not that brown :/

• Hating Whitey may be in vogue, right now - but Disney's CFO really isn't going to enjoy the long-term backlash.

if you're doing colour-blind casting at least do it with characters who aren't named based on their skin colour.

hollywood is nuts. they keep on making woke nonsense and keep on losing money, but they don't care, they're not stopping. i posted in another thread; instead of being about rich, bratty and privileged teens, gossip girl remake is going to be woke. they are going to use uber instead of limos, won't be rude to service workers, will be aware of income inequality and other stuff nobody cares about in this kind of show.

• Official Post

Ariel's casting is actually great, she's just a mermaid who isn't supposed to be white or whatever, but the problem here is that the original tale says that Snow White is German from the 1500s. I mean this is just screaming performative activism to try to appeal to "woke" culture, instead of making new content for POC actors to shine on their own.

Also can we please ban Snow White remakes ffs

• if you're doing colour-blind casting at least do it with characters who aren't named based on their skin colour.

hollywood is nuts. they keep on making woke nonsense and keep on losing money, but they don't care, they're not stopping. i posted in another thread; instead of being about rich, bratty and privileged teens, gossip girl remake is going to be woke. they are going to use uber instead of limos, won't be rude to service workers, will be aware of income inequality and other stuff nobody cares about in this kind of show.

This! I'm so tired of all this fake woke nonsense that has plagued the western media during the last few years. Literally every remake that's coming out nowadays is guaranteed to have at least one original character's race changed for whatever reason and be preachy/political.

• Eh, it's pretty obvious that Disney (just like any other big company atm) is trying to attract a certain type of audience. If they want to cast POC for their movies, at least give them original stories/plots whose characters can connect with their targeted audience. Enough of regurgitated remakes/live actions.

Edited once, last by NEO ().

• Call me a hyper liberal wokeist but I just don't get why it matters?

The Disney Princesses have been around since the birth of animation. They will always be popular and the stories are always going be adapted into film/tv etc. Who cares if it's adapted differently with poc actors or cyberpunked or set in modern times etc. The same story over and over is boring and it's not like Disney didn't completely overhaul these stories to begin with.

Y'all act like this movie isn't gonna be remade again in a few years and they're aren't other Snow White movies with pale white chicks

Chill

• Well, this is harder to work around since... having pale, white skin is part of Snow White's schtick.

Still, if it's well-written, I can look past it, but given the track record of Disney's live-action adaptations...

:pepe-cringe:

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• SandyBee3  didi2802

another day, another nonsense

cb5ecb2b9e0df6a2bbb0de06e0584028.jpg

This is ridiculous… with all the other characters I was ok “ yeah be inclusive” but Snow White is called Snow White cause her skin is white as Snow….. being woke has turned into being irrational I guess, at least in the case of Disney.

I can also see the whole story will follow a ridiculous woke route as well. I bet that the prince will not give her the “real loves kiss” ( how dare a prince saves a princess) and Snow White will have a Mary Sue kinda showdown with her Stepmother.

This time around I could understand the backlash

:pepefacepalm:

• Call me a hyper liberal wokeist but I just don't get why it matters?

The Disney Princesses have been around since the birth of animation. They will always be popular and the stories are always going be adapted into film/tv etc. Who cares if it's adapted differently with poc actors or cyberpunked or set in modern times etc. The same story over and over is boring and it's not like Disney didn't completely overhaul these stories to begin with.

Y'all act like this movie isn't gonna be remade again in a few years and they're aren't other Snow White movies with pale white chicks

Chill

Normally it really doesn’t matter. But the core element of Snow White was her being white … that’s why she got her name.

But look at it from another pov when you already wanna go the “woke” route. The poc community already has a colorism problem. Now they cast a more lighter Latina to play Snow White, who is considered the most beautiful women in the land, which is also thanks to her skin being white.

Idk… doesn’t sound much better either.

• First of all, i am done with these remake movie. Are people out of ideas? because all i am seeing these days are remake, adaptation

• First of all, i am done with these remake movie. Are people out of ideas? because all i am seeing these days are remake, adaptation

Disney is artistically dead, and so are most of the movie studios. The writers haven't ran out of ideas, but the studios are so scared of failures they want to play it as safe as possible. Hence lame, unoriginal remakes, and movie franchises everywhere.

• Normally it really doesn’t matter. But the core element of Snow White was her being white … that’s why she got her name.

But look at it from another pov when you already wanna go the “woke” route. The poc community already has a colorism problem. Now they cast a more lighter Latina to play Snow White, who is considered the most beautiful women in the land, which is also thanks to her skin being white.

Idk… doesn’t sound much better either.

Is it really that integral to her character and story though?

All you really need is like 5 seconds in the movie to give a different explanation as to why she has that name (born on the first snow or during a snow storm or smt) and it'd have zero effect on her story or the essence of her character. It just doesn't matter.

I just never thought of her skin color much until reading this thread. It's always been about her actual story for me and I'm sure it's like that for a lot of kids too.

Snow White and the Huntsmen, the last major remake, changed a ton about her backstory, her character and her actual story but these story purists were nowhere to be found in the reviews. I'm sure if this was some modern retelling where Snow White was Facetiming Prince Charming and accidentally ODs on a spiked apple, it still wouldn't get the backlash either.

It's just Snow White played by a Latina, they haven't even started filming yet so we don't even know what the movies gonna look like.

It's not the end of the world.

Like I said, there will be other remakes.

• there won't be one, she doesn't need a man. or we'll get a prince but he will eat the apple and she will kiss him to save his life because #feminism. one of those two

nonono snow white will take the poison apple, force feed it to the prince, and usurp the throne because gaslight gatekeep girlboss 😩

• They should have IU play Snow White. Also, this actress is too old to play the character. Snow is supposed to be very young, but this woman looks twenty five.

Edit: Thinking about this a little bit more, if Disney wants to appeal more to their Latina audience, why not create film adaptations of Latina stories? Snow White is a German fairy tale. Latinas have nothing to do with it. This is an just an insult to the Latina population. They have their own folklore and literature like any other culture.

Most people dont even know Snow white is a german fairy tale and nor the other girls who have played the role have anything to do with it, i don't see how it can be an insult for anyone. Personally i just think they should stick to the appearance and if they wanted to cast a latin girl they could have gone for a light skin one.

• This thread contains 69 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!