What would you choose? An interesting job/something you like to do or a job that pays better?

• What do you choose? 23

1. Better paid job (13) 57%
    2. Interesting job (10) 43%

So, basically what the title says.

What would you choose between a job that's interesting and you do something that you like and a job that pays better than the other one?

The other factors, such as dynamic collective, friendly etc. remain the same at both jobs.

• didi2802

Changed the title of the thread from “What would you choose? An interesting job/something you like to do or a job that pays better.” to “What would you choose? An interesting job/something you like to do or a job that pays better?”.
  • If I have to choose between them two I will choose interesting job.

Money is great, but I don’t wanna do a job where I might end up being unhappy later in life.

Would you choose the same if the interesting job that you do limits your future job perspectives while the uninteresting one gets you a broader type of jobs to choose from?

P.S. This question is from my personal experience.

• Would you choose the same if the interesting job that you do limits your future job perspectives while the uninteresting one gets you a broader type of jobs to choose from?

P.S. This question is from my personal experience.

Hmmm… than I will choose option 2 tbh. With a broader type of jobs there will definitely be one you might find interesting.

• A job that pays well I guess. I mean, I can't really imagine a situation where I have to choose since I love my job and it pays well lol. But if I'm being honest, I'd definitely prefer a well paying job unless it's something I absolutely hate doing or that's against my morals. Like for example I'd definitely not take a job in drugs smuggling or as an assassin :pepe-joy:

• Hmmm… than I will choose option 2 tbh. With a broader type of jobs there will definitely be one you might find interesting.

Hmm, I see.

Basically, my situation is that I found a job as a Research Analyst. Researching companies, their involvement with certain things (such as Adult Entertainment, Alcohol products, Tobacco etc.) in order to help investors decide whether those companies are worth their investments or not (ex. someone might not want to invest in a company that has more than 50% involvement in businesses that sell and produce alcohol). It's an interesting job but limited from the POV of more future opportunities in career.

The other job would be as a Technical Support in IT for problems related to Windows, Linux etc. It's needless to say that the future perspectives are better at this one, however it's not as interesting to do as the first job.

• Hmm, I see.

Basically, my situation is that I found a job as a Research Analyst. Researching companies, their involvement with certain things (such as Adult Entertainment, Alcohol products, Tobacco etc.) in order to help investors decide whether those companies are worth their investments or not (ex. someone might not want to invest in a company that has more than 50% involvement in businesses that sell and produce alcohol). It's an interesting job but limited from the POV of more future opportunities in career.

The other job would be as a Technical Support in IT for problems related to Windows, Linux etc. It's needless to say that the future perspectives are better at this one, however it's not as interesting to do as the first job.

Oh I see. The first job really sounds more interesting. Damn this sounds like a hard decision. But would it be possible for you to do something similar like the first job in future if you choose the better paid one ?

But you say it’s not “as” interesting as the first one, but do you still find it interesting anyway? If so, I think you would make a better deal if you choose the second one.

• Oh I see. The first job really sounds more interesting. Damn this sounds like a hard decision. But would it be possible for you to do something similar like the first job in future if you choose the better paid one ?

But you say it’s not “as” interesting as the first one, but do you still find it interesting anyway? If so, I think you would make a better deal if you choose the second one.

I'm not sure if I could. I mean, I could but it's an entry-level job atm so if I want to do it in the future, it would probably be for another company (as this one might blacklist me for leaving it too early, as I already signed the contract last week) and it would be another entry-level position (as I wouldn't have the experience for something more advanced in this domain if I give up too early).

I find the second job ok from other POVs, mostly financial and the work hours (shifts, more free days etc.). The domain is ok, but not something that I am passionate about. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I could work there and get used to it eventually(I worked 2 years in the Automotive domain and God knows I have 0 interest in that, even less interest than in the second job).

• If I had the option to do as I pleased with no real drawbacks then the job I enjoy.

But unfortunately I have rent, bills, day to day expenses like food fuel and even having to save up for future so it's gotta be the better paid job even if it's boring or sucks.

• I’d rather do a job that I enjoyed that didn’t pay as much than do a job that paid well and I hated. I have had it both ways and I’d choose the first one. Luckily, I don’t have many expenses and am good with my budget.

• I'm not sure if I could. I mean, I could but it's an entry-level job atm so if I want to do it in the future, it would probably be for another company (as this one might blacklist me for leaving it too early, as I already signed the contract last week) and it would be another entry-level position (as I wouldn't have the experience for something more advanced in this domain if I give up too early).

I find the second job ok from other POVs, mostly financial and the work hours (shifts, more free days etc.). The domain is ok, but not something that I am passionate about. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I could work there and get used to it eventually(I worked 2 years in the Automotive domain and God knows I have 0 interest in that, even less interest than in the second job).

Why not be a research analyst in a different field like pharmaceutical or Healthcare? Just make sure you know SAS or SPSS.

• I'm not sure if I could. I mean, I could but it's an entry-level job atm so if I want to do it in the future, it would probably be for another company (as this one might blacklist me for leaving it too early, as I already signed the contract last week) and it would be another entry-level position (as I wouldn't have the experience for something more advanced in this domain if I give up too early).

I see… but I agree to what another user here said. I would go for the better paid job. You have better working hours and more free days and with this you can use the money and free time to spend it on your hobbies. This could be way to compensate the lack of interest you might have in the the second job.

I think for the long run. This might be the better. But it’s of course up to you.

As for the first one and the contract you already signed. There is of course a high chance that they might blacklist you for going to early. But you are about to make a life decision here.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!