TWICE "Alcohol-Free" Live sung - Yes or No?

• Some discussion on knet: Has Twice performed Live or not? Was the video edited?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hermes101

Changed the title of the thread from “TWICE Alcohol-Free Live Performance - yes or No?” to “TWICE "Alcohol-Free" Live sung - Yes or No?”.
  • Not a shot at Twice at all, but I don't think there's many kpop videos (from any groups) that aren't at least a little produced. Just seems like an industry standard now.

• I believe it was live; Twice is usually really bad at lip-syncing. But it was post-produced like every other recorded 'live' performance.

Edit: Okay, now I think some bits are and some aren't. The bits that are fooled me. I didn't realise it had more than one take, except for the obvious dancing parts.

• It is literally called “open mic”.

Here two examples for live sung (edited)

Edited 2 times, last by Hermes101 ().

• Yeah, no shit, except the one above are lil bit engineered especially on the vocally weak members.

• Yes, it was sung there in the studio. But it is also a compilation of multiple takes (you can see some of the cuts, especially with Sana going from standing to sitting), and there is some post processing done to remove mic pops, etc.

Still their own vocals though.

You can definitely tell it's not lipsyncing to the studio version since some of the lines are delivered differently.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

Edited once, last by horizonshard ().

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com

• Good thing that nothing you said was the absolute truth then. Just your opinion.

Based on the range of notes present, it is a lot less difficult than any other girl group song in recent history. It doesn’t even span an octave. So yes, objectively it’s a very easy song.

The use of production/processing can be seen by the editing together of different takes in the video. Others have pointed this out. As far as other production things, that takes a more keen ear.

• Based on the range of notes present, it is a lot less difficult than any other girl group song in recent history. It doesn’t even span an octave. So yes, objectively it’s a very easy song.

The use of production/processing can be seen by the editing together of different takes in the video. Others have pointed this out. As far as other production things, that takes a more keen ear.

The ease of the song is definitely an opinion. I don’t find those vocal runs they perform to be very easy at all. You have your opinion and I have mine. Neither one is the absolute truth.

Editing together multiple takes of the song doesn’t make it any less live. It was sung in that room using their voices. That’s live. And they executed it incredibly well.

• The ease of the song is definitely an opinion. I don’t find those vocal runs they perform to be very easy at all. You have your opinion and I have mine. Neither one is the absolute truth.

Editing together multiple takes of the song doesn’t make it any less live. It was sung in that room using their voices. That’s live. And they executed it incredibly well.

As far as the shallow range of vocal notes, that's not opinion. The average song spans a little over an octave, and this song doesn't reach that. It's a low bar to reach, making it very easy to sing. Which is good because usually they are given songs way too complex for their abilities. The vocal runs are just a couple notes and nothing complex, especially in such a shallow range. If the vocal runs are hard for you, that's about you.

Editing many takes together is very similar to how songs are made. It removes any of the failed vocals that likely occurred(otherwise why even have the extra takes). "Live" would depend on the definition. Considering it's not one-take, has some obvious after-the-fact tuning, I would say "live" is a stretch. You wouldn't go to a concert and be able to see such a performance because you would have to see them do the same thing many times and then wait for the finished product afterwards. I would hardly call that live. As far as their execution, some of the small runs were poorly executed, but of course with the multiple takes you can get rid of the worst things. The point is that it's misleading to call it a live due to all of these factors.

• As far as the shallow range of vocal notes, that's not opinion. The average song spans a little over an octave, and this song doesn't reach that. It's a low bar to reach, making it very easy to sing. Which is good because usually they are given songs way too complex for their abilities. The vocal runs are just a couple notes and nothing complex, especially in such a shallow range. If the vocal runs are hard for you, that's about you.

Editing many takes together is very similar to how songs are made. It removes any of the failed vocals that likely occurred(otherwise why even have the extra takes). "Live" would depend on the definition. Considering it's not one-take, has some obvious after-the-fact tuning, I would say "live" is a stretch. You wouldn't go to a concert and be able to see such a performance because you would have to see them do the same thing many times and then wait for the finished product afterwards. I would hardly call that live. As far as their execution, some of the small runs were poorly executed, but of course with the multiple takes you can get rid of the worst things. The point is that it's misleading to call it a live due to all of these factors.

Please do TASTE OF LOVE album review.

• As far as the shallow range of vocal notes, that's not opinion. The average song spans a little over an octave, and this song doesn't reach that. It's a low bar to reach, making it very easy to sing. Which is good because usually they are given songs way too complex for their abilities. The vocal runs are just a couple notes and nothing complex, especially in such a shallow range. If the vocal runs are hard for you, that's about you.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't agree with any of this.

You're also the only one that seems to think this way and, with your track record of intentionally hating on Twice, I think my viewpoint has more bearing.

Sorry.

• We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't agree with any of this.

You're also the only one that seems to think this way and, with your track record of intentionally hating on Twice, I think my viewpoint has more bearing.

Sorry.

You can't disagree with the facts. The vocal range of the song is a fact. It doesn't even reach an octave.

I'm not the only one that thinks this way, others have pointed out things such as me. Don't lie lmao.

Your viewpoint has little bearing considering there are no coherent points backed up at all. If you want to live in a fantasy though, go ahead.

Sorry to tell you the truth.

• You have an odd definition of facts. The vocal range not being an octave doesn't necessarily make the song easy. That's not a definition, so therefore not a fact.

Earlier in this thread I pointed out the multiple takes. That doesn't make it any less live.

I'm sorry that you feel so pressed to hate on Twice. Please continue to check out their music so you can try to pick it to pieces.

We appreciate your support.

• Editing many takes together is very similar to how songs are made. It removes any of the failed vocals that likely occurred(otherwise why even have the extra takes). "Live" would depend on the definition. Considering it's not one-take, has some obvious after-the-fact tuning, I would say "live" is a stretch. You wouldn't go to a concert and be able to see such a performance because you would have to see them do the same thing many times and then wait for the finished product afterwards. I would hardly call that live. As far as their execution, some of the small runs were poorly executed, but of course with the multiple takes you can get rid of the worst things. The point is that it's misleading to call it a live due to all of these factors.

i don't know your track record on twice, i don't follow them but what you said is true. i don't consider edited "live" performances live. live is when it's in one take and no edit. editing means recording it until you get it right and fixing bum notes in postproduction. i never heard them sing live except in that infamous encore performance. kpop fans are so got used to not live singing that they cannot tell difference between live singing and lip-syncing.

this is exactly what lar is. recording a track to seem live, with breathing, ad-libs and small mistakes, and lip syncing to it.

Tic_tac_toe  chounim

• i don't know your track record on twice, i don't follow them but what you said is true. i don't consider edited "live" performances live. live is when it's in one take and no edit. editing means recording it until you get it right and fixing bum notes in postproduction. i never heard them sing live except in that infamous encore performance. kpop fans are so got used to not live singing that they cannot tell difference between live singing and lip-syncing.

this is exactly what lar is. recording a track to seem live, with breathing, ad-libs and small mistakes, and lip syncing to it.

Tic_tac_toe  chounim

I guess you and I have different definitions of live then. I didn't see any lipsyncing in this performance. Everything they are singing, they are actually singing. It may have been bits and pieces from different takes, but I see no lipsyncing, so I consider that live vocals.

• I guess you and I have different definitions of live then. I didn't see any lipsyncing in this performance. Everything they are singing, they are actually singing. It may have been bits and pieces from different takes, but I see no lipsyncing, so I consider that live vocals.

no, they are lip syncing to what they recorded previously, that's not live singing. one is a studio version and the other one is a version that is supposed to sound live. singing over previously recorded tracks is lip syncing.

• no, they are lip syncing to what they recorded previously, that's not live singing. one is a studio version and the other one is a version that is supposed to sound live. singing over previously recorded tracks is lip syncing.

I'm sorry, I don't see any evidence of lipsyncing. Normally I can find slight variations from the audio and what they actually look to be singing. I have to disagree with you. If they were lipsyncing, why would there be cuts in the performance, instead of making it seem like one take instead?

• i don't know your track record on twice, i don't follow them but what you said is true. i don't consider edited "live" performances live. live is when it's in one take and no edit. editing means recording it until you get it right and fixing bum notes in postproduction. i never heard them sing live except in that infamous encore performance. kpop fans are so got used to not live singing that they cannot tell difference between live singing and lip-syncing.

Tic_tac_toe  chounim

When a "live performance" is an official video released or recorded by the company , there's really no reason to think it's genuinely live. It's definitely edited and cleaned up.

Another sure fire sign to recognise live singing is whether there's backtrack or not. Kpop groups simply DON'T perform without a backtrack (unless it's an acoustic or live band performance but personally I have even seen live band performances with backtrack singing) so if you can't hear two sounds overlapping, backtrack and live singing, it means they're not singing live full stop. No room for debate here.

Here's an example of Twice singing Alcohol Free live

First of all you can hear both the backtrack and the live singing, albeit the former is much louder most of the time. Second, you can even hear the sound of their hands clapping at some point which means the televised performance was really recorded while performing in real time. Personally I don't really care for barely live performances where you can practically only hear the backtrack since all that matters to me is the final product and the final product here is mostly the backtrack. But it's a fact that they were truly singing live here.

At the Twice fans here, this is not about Twice in particular. Most if not all official "live performances" are like this.

• I'm sorry, I don't see any evidence of lipsyncing. Normally I can find slight variations from the audio and what they actually look to be singing. I have to disagree with you. If they were lipsyncing, why would there be cuts in the performance, instead of making it seem like one take instead?

tzuyu is dancing here and then standing still. the video is edited, when it's edited means it's not recorded in one take, when it's not recorded in one take means they added the "live" track in postproduction. bts has done it too

till 12:03. jimin and v are constantly switching mics in "one" take. whoever edited this didn't even try lol

• External Content youtu.be

tzuyu is dancing here and then standing still. the video is edited, when it's edited means it's not recorded in one take, when it's not recorded in one take means they added the "live" track in postproduction. bts has done it too

Yes, they stitched together multiple takes. That doesn't change the fact that they were singing there in that studio. They are not lipsyncing to a track. They are singing those lines right there. I consider that live vocals.

If that doesn't fit your definition of live vocals, then we have to agree to disagree.

• Here's an example of Twice singing Alcohol Free live

well, i said i never heard them singing live, now i finally did.

(unless it's an acoustic or live band performance but personally I have even seen live band performances with backtrack singing)

bts has done both. i don't want to link those videos, i don't want to make this thread about bts but i'm only familiar with their performances.

• They are singing those lines right there. I consider that live vocals.

but they are not. the performance wasn't edited in a way that they used fave cuts including vocals and compiled them all to make the final product. no; they picked the cuts they liked the most, like they do with music videos, and then added the (previously recorded) track, like they do in music videos. that's not live singing. there's no difference between editing a music video and this or bts' "live" performances.

• If the range of a song is shallow, it makes it a lot easier to sing everything from supported notes, in-pitch notes, doing riffs and runs, etc. The more comfortable you are with the key, the easier it is to have a smooth performance.

My definition of facts seems more based in reality than on your end it seems.

Now it seems there are others that agree with me, despite your earlier claims.

I appreciate you trying.

• Thank you, you went through the effort I didn't want to go through to prove my point.

• but they are not. the performance wasn't edited in a way that they used fave cuts including vocals and compiled them all to make the final product. no; they picked the cuts they liked the most, like they do with music videos, and then added the (previously recorded) track, like they do in music videos. that's not live singing. there's no difference between editing a music video and this or bts' "live" performances.

I’m sorry we have to agree to disagree. I’ll leave it at that.

• This thread contains 34 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!