A non-biased summary of the whole Lia situation

• This is for those who want to find information about everything going on with Lia but kept running into extreme fans spreading misinformation or trolls blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

A few things before we begin

1. I can not speak Korean, the information I am providing comes from translation sites. Because of this, there is always a chance of mistranslation. Please keep that in mind.(ps. I tried to go to twitter for translations but those who had them were fan accounts, which, for obvious reasons, I took with a grain of salt)

2. Because of the "midzy" in my username you might think I am biased. I will try to put all feelings for Lia aside and make this as unbiased as possible

This whole thing started on February 28, 2021, when a post was uploaded onto an online forum by someone claiming to be a victim of school violence by "a female idol who was born in 2000 and has straight shoulders."

The writer, now being referred to as "A" stated that the person who had bullied them had borrowed money from A's classmate ("B") and did not return it. A also accused the perpetrator of making someone in the same class as the perpetrator ("C") an outcast and making them break up with their boyfriend. According to A, when she asked the perpetrator why she hadn't returned B's money and made an outcast of C, the perpetrator and her friends cursed at her. A said wrote that the perpetrator and their friends would continue to curse at her and posted on social media that A had falsely accused her and created rumors about A.

A went on to explain that when they learned the perpetrator would be debuting under a big company, she wrote an accusatory online post at the time, but was sued for defamation

JYP Entertainment soon released a statement denying the accusations saying,

"Hello, this is JYP Entertainment.

We share our position on the online post that is causing speculations about our artist Lia. This is a case in which we sued the writer of the post last year for defamation for spreading false rumors. We inform you that the investigation on this case is ongoing and that we are awaiting the results according to formal legal procedures. This matter is completely false and we relay our plans to push further charges regarding the matter and also take strong legal action against any deeds that defame our artists and caused disruption to their promotions through things like malicious comments and spreading false rumors."

However, on June 13, Incheon Yeonsu Police Station revealed that A was cleared of her defamation charges. After a lengthy investigation, the police decided that the post was an expression of the things A experienced rather than an attempt to slander Lia; and that there was not enough evidence to prove the claims made in the post were false. A source from the police station stated, "Overall, considering the circumstances surrounding how A uploaded the post on an online community as well as the contents of the post, it was judged that suspicions of defamation were not valid."

A commented in a call with Yonhap news, "I still have a hard time mentally when I think about those days. I was hoping for a genuine apology."

Soon later, JYP Entertainment put out a statement in response to the news. " We have seen the outcome through press reports and are figuring out the process of the situation. However, it is difficult to accept the outcome as is. We will decide our response once we have figured out the process more thoroughly."

(I wanted to put my sources but the word s**mpi is banned for some reason)

• Official Post

A source from the police station stated, "Overall, considering the circumstances surrounding how A uploaded the post on an online community as well as the contents of the post, it was judged that suspicions of defamation were not valid."

This is the part that people need to get. Because she just posted them online on a message board and never actually called her out by name, it can be argued that it wasn't intended to defame.

The police aren't saying either side is right or wrong. Just that A believes what she said to be the truth and JYP/Lia have no evidence to prove it isn't... thus the defamation case is dropped because in order to prove defamation you have to absolutely prove that party making the claims knew them to be false and said it anyway.

• you can take a screenshot lol that's what I do when i want to post something from another site lol

• Official Post

jyp should not have sued. just made the situation worse.

I agree. Especially since they didn't have any solid evidence.

I still can't believe the only damn company who handled this mess correctly was Pledis. :boredr:

JYP should have just investigated on their own like Pledis did or even got in front of it better like Starship, but instead they were too focused on throwing Hyunjin under the bus and making a fool of themselves with this lawsuit.

• Mmm. I have a doubt. In Korea the justice is the same as in the US, "someone is innocent until is prove guilty"? Im curious because according to this the police say: "There was not enough evidence to prove the claims made in the post were false" and is weird to me because in just an odd statement. I mean, is not suppose to A have to prove that the claims of his posts are true? Since A is accusing Lia?

• jyp sued in criminal court?

with criminal action instead of a civil court?

i mean do korean police get involved with civil matters?

hmmm interesting i still think for most companies taking legal action is correct but civil action not criminal but then i obviously have no knowledge of korean laws

• Official Post

Mmm. I have a doubt. In Korea the justice is the same as in the US, "someone is innocent until is prove guilty"? Im curious because according to this the police say: "There was not enough evidence to prove the claims made in the post were false" and is weird to me because in just an odd statement. I mean, is not suppose to A have to prove that the claims of his posts are true? Since A is accusing Lia?

A is the defendant in the defamation accusation. She doesn't have to prove her statement is true. JYP has to prove she's intentionally posting a false statement to defame Lia.

Now if A had went to the police to accuse Lia of bullying THEN she'd have to prove she was telling the truth about it.

• Mmm. I have a doubt. In Korea the justice is the same as in the US, "someone is innocent until is prove guilty"? Im curious because according to this the police say: "There was not enough evidence to prove the claims made in the post were false" and is weird to me because in just an odd statement. I mean, is not suppose to A have to prove that the claims of his posts are true? Since A is accusing Lia?

The charges that the police threw out were for defamation. They were not trying to prove if the claims in the post are true at all. They were trying to prove if the post was made in order to defame Lia's character. They could not find any specific evidence that the claims were intentionally false or that they were intentionally made to defame Lia, so they dropped that investigation.

That has zero bearing on whether the claims in the post are true or not. It returns to a he said/she said argument at that point.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• Official Post

South Korea has a cyber defamation law which makes it a criminal manner. That's why companies go after the worst of their malicious commenters.

• South Korea has a cyber defamation law which makes it a criminal manner. That's why companies go after the worst of their malicious commenters.

that is true, if Jype wanted to go down this path then they should have gone full warpath and sued both civilly and criminally as well because as usual I'm guessing Lia is being destroyed in the court of public opinion...

• A is the defendant in the defamation accusation. She doesn't have to prove her statement is true. JYP has to prove she's intentionally posting a false statement to defame Lia.

Now if A had went to the police to accuse Lia of bullying THEN she'd have to prove she was telling the truth about it.

The charges that the police threw out were for defamation. They were not trying to prove if the claims in the post are true at all. They were trying to prove if the post was made in order to defame Lia's character. They could not find any specific evidence that the claims were intentionally false or that they were intentionally made to defame Lia, so they dropped that investigation.

That has zero bearing on whether the claims in the post are true or not. It returns to a he said/she said argument at that point.

Oh, oh. I see. Mmmm, anybody have the accussation of A, i want to know if he/she mentioned Lia (I find very sneaky if this person take alot of care to not mentioned Lia but make sure that was obvious that is about her)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!