Official Digital Thread

• it's not on melon, bugs, vibe. only on flo and genie, it's so weird, I don't understand how IU topping all chart couldn't do it and he did it with two charts and not even on no.1? is it fandom factor?? but how?

Mass downloading, no one pays attention to this stuff. Lim Youngwoong fans, Shawols, Arohas, and Fuses (ONF fans) do it too

Is he.....you know?
    Tumblr

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Also I don't think there is any need to change the point system. Like decreasing the weightage of downloads or increasing the same for other things.

Increasing weightage of streams should be done everywhere. It's the prime method of consumption. Otherwise wrong picture is given.

🌊 .·:*¨〜E∿U∿N∿S∿E∿O〜¨*:·. 🌊

a61a8a4deed243771b057ef5fb33883f253b9607.png 492cd52b61538267abc612cbb5a25242ebb760d6.png 05ab7057144e04d435c9b76e33fa26272054432f.png

• Increasing weightage of streams should be done everywhere. It's the prime method of consumption. Otherwise wrong picture is given.

Yes it is a prime method of consumption but it is not the prime method of earning through digitals. Downloads are still the best way of earning for digitals so they have to be given more weightage.

About the charts : we have many different types of charts and I feel there is no need for every single one to use the same method. Otherwise we will have all the charts showing same results.

• Yes it is a prime method of consumption but it is not the prime method of earning through digitals. Downloads are still the best way of earning for digitals so they have to be given more weightage.

About the charts : we have many different types of charts and I feel there is no need for every single one to use the same method. Otherwise we will have all the charts showing same results.

Downloads are barely happening now. The amount of money someone makes in streaming likely surpasses the amount they make in downloads outside of the clear example of Daniel. Gaon needs to redistribute their weighting system. There’s no reason Daniel should have debuted that high when he didn’t even touch #1 on the biggest music services. On top of that, this is probably why digital points seem so little in comparison to 2018 (downloads were at a high since the price change). So, they’ll either have to get rid of digital points again or re-do them.

• Yes it is a prime method of consumption but it is not the prime method of earning through digitals. Downloads are still the best way of earning for digitals so they have to be given more weightage.

Korean digitals does not cost alot at all. 50 songs for 18 USD on melon. Its basically Chinese downloads price. And the thing is the amt of downloads in Korea is nowhere near Chinese ones.

Artists cannot possibly earn much from downloads in korea

Edit: 18 is + streaming pass, 12 USD is the actual price for 50 songs download. Its actually cheaper downloads than chinese downloads. The streaming pass alone is 9 USD per month for those just buying the streaming pass. I dont think its possible that artist earn more from downloads than streaming in korea

• Downloads are barely happening now. The amount of money someone makes in streaming likely surpasses the amount they make in downloads outside of the clear example of Daniel. Gaon needs to redistribute their weighting system. There’s no reason Daniel should have debuted that high when he didn’t even touch #1 on the biggest music services. On top of that, this is probably why digital points seem so little in comparison to 2018 (downloads were at a high since the price change). So, they’ll either have to get rid of digital points again or re-do them.

I agree with this point of view but I am thinking from another point of view.

If 1 download is bringing more than 1 stream then it should be weighted more. Also it will encourage people to download the songs to support the artist which has been slowly decreasing in korea over the years because of the incompetence of korean music platforms. It can also become method of bringing in more money than it is now for digital market. That's why the encouragement for downloads should be given imo

• Korean digitals does not cost alot at all. 50 songs for 18 USD on melon. Its basically Chinese downloads price. And the thing is the amt of downloads in Korea is nowhere near Chinese ones.

Artists cannot possibly earn much from downloads in korea

Okay this is a news to me.

So this means korean digital market is not the one to focus on to earn money for artists.

• this made me laugh so hard omg ahahaha

im hoping you're wrong, seeing how M&M was first received im hoping their cb is initially received the same way

The options seem to be well received for a brief period then quickly falling off and ultimately being unmemorable, or poorly received and struggling to stay on the chart. If they do anything besides that, it will be their best performance in over 2 years.

• The options seem to be well received for a brief period then quickly falling off and ultimately being unmemorable, or poorly received and struggling to stay on the chart. If they do anything besides that, it will be their best performance in over 2 years.

im thinking a fancy type of performance is possible but with a good song and rather good promotion (variety show)

• You shouldnt underrate twice that much. ICSM peaked with 250k uls at a time where ULs were extremely low.

Having 250k right now would make them 11th on Melon and considering ULs in general are higher rn, they could reach around 280k and chart top 8.

Thinking they dont hold a chance at top 20 is riddiculous honestly

Are you suprised? 2 are known thrices and the rest arent much better lol

• About TWICE, it seems like they're going back to a bright summer concept(a la DTNA) so they could actually do well. I believe ICSM was a major underperformance mainly because of their concept change, if they return to a bright concept then there's a chance they could be a force again with the right song and promotion.

Not to mention this has been one of, if not, their longest hiatus since FS-M&M, so clearly there's some hype. At the end of the day, it depends on the song. We all saw how Red Velvet had 3 back to back underperformances, but then became a force again with Psycho.

• ASAP by STAYC is very close to entering the top 100(#104 on the latest Daily Chart update) and it seems to be rising everyday. Might enter the top 100 if it keeps rising at this point. But this really shows how tragic 4th gen digitals are nowadays, ITZY are basically carrying the 4th gen.

• About TWICE, it seems like they're going back to a bright summer concept(a la DTNA) so they could actually do well. I believe ICSM was a major underperformance mainly because of their concept change, if they return to a bright concept then there's a chance they could be a force again with the right song and promotion.

Not to mention this has been one of, if not, their longest hiatus since FS-M&M, so clearly there's some hype. At the end of the day, it depends on the song. We all saw how Red Velvet had 3 back to back underperformances, but then became a force again with Psycho.

ICSM is their best perfoming song since Fancy, a bright concept like fancy could hit really big.

Also this is their second longest hiatus cause FS was in september and ICSM was in october.

This may be a reach, but icsm being their biggest song internationally so far, twice have a shot at hot 100 or at least bubbling under. (Cry for me with no mv was like 12th on bubbling under). We saw how Dynamite rose after the #1 news and it could happend again with Twice if they enter.

• about the download vs Stream

Gaon should make it at least comparable.

I dont know the exact pricing, but let's say 1 download cost $0.99 while one stream contribute to $0.01, then it is sensible to count 1 download = 99 streams. After you download the song, u can in theory listen to the song whatever times u want, this is equivalent to buying stream for that song for lifetime.

The whole problem when giving download more weightage means frontloaded digital points which is not good for long term. I believe Billboard also made such weightage that Download >>> streams and the west doesnt seem to have issue for that.

It is hard for any chart to make a really fair comparison. Those who buy streaming pass, they can stream as much as they want/can. If a streaming pass cost $10 per month and on average one user can stream 1000 songs (with repitition) , each stream only cost $0.01. For heavy listener, the cost is even lesser. I dont see the argument for Stream> download.

Stream is number game. Download is where the $$ come from (though the sales numbers are pathetic anyway)

• ICSM is their best perfoming song since Fancy, a bright concept like fancy could hit really big.

Also this is their second longest hiatus cause FS was in september and ICSM was in october.

This may be a reach, but icsm being their biggest song internationally so far, twice have a shot at hot 100 or at least bubbling under. (Cry for me with no mv was like 12th on bubbling under). We saw how Dynamite rose after the #1 news and it could happend again with Twice if they enter.

Twice will chart on BB hot100 for sure this round. They have been gaining streams from US and chance are if they go with something that isnt cute, the west gonna react positively to it.

But i do think they are going DTNA style since it is a summer release. DTNA is their best performing song after Cheer Up

• Twice will chart on BB hot100 for sure this round. They have been gaining streams from US and chance are if they go with something that isnt cute, the west gonna react positively to it.

But i do think they are going DTNA style since it is a summer release. DTNA is their best performing song after Cheer Up

They definetly have a big chance, will be interesting and yes DTNA is by far their 2nd best perfoming song in SK, going with a song like this could hit big.

• believe Billboard also made such weightage that Download >>> streams and the west doesnt seem to have issue for that.

Sales have led to many songs going #1 and having no longevity and nor it being a popular song. Song sales r a big problem on hot100. Due to sales trollz and stuck with u went #1 and had embarrassing falls the week after. Western fanbases move just like k fanbases. Inflating a songs performance through sales. If the sales outweigh the streaming u know its a nonsense #1.

a61a8a4deed243771b057ef5fb33883f253b9607.png 492cd52b61538267abc612cbb5a25242ebb760d6.png 05ab7057144e04d435c9b76e33fa26272054432f.png

• Cry for me with no mv was like 12th on bubbling under

Cry for me charted on bubbling under? Never knew.

• I dont think cfm charted under bubbling I see nothing

dont itzy has better spotify streams thant twice? if itzy chart we could see how twice could do

both can reach bb200 btw, its super easy and even loona got there

about itzy, their teasers arent really trending in yt korea, I know they are short but so are from other groups and they tend to trend so idk how they will do in korea

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!