Official Digital Thread

• perception is subjective, but stats dont

We are talking based on stats, not 'we think'

• or Spring Day

Or? Spring Day is on the same level of Through the Night.

And there's also a whole Boy with Luv, which won 3 SOTY awards, same number as Gee and Cheer Up.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Or? Spring Day is on the same level of Through the Night.

And there's also a whole Boy with Luv, which won 3 SOTY awards, same number as Gee and Cheer Up.

Like i said, chart perfomance is not everything there is to a hit song. Butter is doing better than Dynamite but i can assure you 100% that Dynamite is bigger in the US.

I think that Spring Day is a very popular song that appeals to a certain type of person, but it doesn't quite reach everyone in korea, which is for me the definition of national hit (entire generations dancing to it, hence the "national)

You dont have schools banning Spring Day like they did with LS, you dont have grandmas being taught the dance by their grandkids like that one Cheer Up video.

Then again, neither of us live in korea so we dont have a say on what is a national hit or not, its just assumptions

• So SK which is obsessed with ballads which you can never dance to can never have them as the biggest songs ever :pepewhat::pepeshut:

For legal reasons: many of the things I say are said jokingly, take them as such :wilds::oks:

• “Spring day doesn’t quite reach everyone in korea”

Yet has 7.1M Melon ULs (2nd highest ULs of all songs) which is 1.3M more melon ULs than the next idol group song (which btw is BWL with 5.8M).

So tell me how exactly did it not reach everyone in Korea.

2nd. Does that mean none of IUs songs are national hits. Just cause they’re not danced to in schools or by older people or whatever (cause well her biggest song is a slow song).

TTN and spring day are both mellow songs, But have reached a lot of people.

imo you are leaving the definition of national hit to equal having a viral moment. Yes that can help a song be a national hit. But it’s not the be all and end all of being one.

• Well I'm not going to get into the national hit discussion here but I find your criteria curious.

I don't think kids could learn the choreo and teach it to their grandparents because it is contemporary inspired and there is no easy point dance move like in boom boom or TT.

• Well I'm not going to get into the national hit discussion here but I find your criteria curious.

I don't think kids could learn the choreo and teach it to their grandparents because it is contemporary inspired and there is no easy point dance move like in boom boom or TT.

So SK which is obsessed with ballads which you can never dance to can never have them as the biggest songs ever :pepewhat::pepeshut:

The fact that it is a ballad makes sense but still, Spring Day has not been mentionned a lot in TV etc. anyways we arent korean, we should have this discussion with a korean person for it to be 100% accurate .

• The fact that it is a ballad makes sense but still, Spring Day has not been mentionned a lot in TV etc. anyways we arent korean, we should have this discussion with a korean person for it to be 100% accurate .

I wasn't even talking about spring day but ballads in general. Your logic doesn't make sense because Impact isn't measured by dance covers. It's something we cannot see as outsiders.

Spring day is mentioned a lot. It is Infact along with BWL one of the songs that is mentioned a lot with BTS.

For legal reasons: many of the things I say are said jokingly, take them as such :wilds::oks:

• all the songs doing well in chart doesn't mean necessarily national hit

a national hit is a song who have an impact on the Nation, that's why it's call national hit

and not charting hit

there's just some songs who do really really great in chart

but that lack in term of cultural impact among the nation to be call a national hit

and i think AIIYL is this kind of song it have the charting to back it up

but the song is nowhere near Red flavor, gee, cheer up etc... in term of cultural impact on the nation

you don't see koreans bring it back every time they are making post about national hit on theqoo etc...

Aespa is coming back More savage than Ever !!!!!

• Sneaking red flavor along cheer up and glee like we won't see it

• Sneaking red flavor along cheer up and glee like we won't see it

not my fault if Cheer up, red flavor, spring day and growl are the song the mot often mention by koreans when they make a post about 3rd gen biggest hit on korean community ;)

https://onehallyu.com/topic/80…rd-generation-idol-group/

• I dont know about other artists . I will speak for BTS

Spring day has been covered by top actors like ji chang wook etc. Has 7.1 million uls. It has been mentioned along with cherry spring song which is a classic spring song in korea.

Not every song has to be dance oriented song to be national hit lmao. Then soloist who make ballads , then have no national hit in korea or if we go for international hits like someone like you by adele. Was that a dance song? Still it sold 18 million downloads. So i don't get the logic that every national hits needs to make people dance.

Bwl has not only charts, but it is now covered by Penthouse actress ( biggest drama in korea ). It has been mentioned in media many times. It is near 6 million uls..More than cheerup. A song which nearly made top 10 in yec chart for 2 years in row ( was 12 in 2020 ) sounds like national hit any time. Has impact and charts both.

Dynamite isnt even up for debate

Btw idol ,dna and fire has been used in lot of variety shows too. Hype songs in events especially idol and fire. And i see butter joining in future too. Impact is subjective. Charts and stats are not

So these songs have impact charts

So to me they sound like national hits. I have seen songs with less impact and chart run being called national hits here. To me BTS has many. But to each his or her own.

• I think national hit is just an outdated term used for arguing. Usually associated with a large amount of people knowing a dance move or a key point dance. There are many hits to several degrees and songs not called national hits are remembered very much.

In the case of AIIYL, it just didn’t have a viral moment that “national hits” have but it’s charting is amazing and it’s always played during variety shows and it’s very remembered. BP’s steady increase in popularity has certainly helped too as all their title tracks are in the 100-300 range even on hiatus atm.

I think BTS & BP just reached a demographic outside of the idol sphere with a lot of their hits. Idol hits are usually associated with viral moments, but songs like SD, DNA, IDOL, AIIYL, PWF snuck up the ULs charts and surprised a lot of people because they tapped into a demographic of people that simply like their music and don’t need the viral moments associated with dances and key point movements for hits.IU/BB are the same. Most digital monsters are.

• BTS overtaking BTS

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Yeah the term "national hit" is pretty outdated as there's no set criteria as to what determines a national hit. Using the "they don't dance to it in Korea!!11!" argument isn't valid cause I guarantee you will not find anyone shaking their ass to EDEM, Spring Day or TTN on the street even though these are the longest charting songs on Melon. Not to mention alot of us don't even live in Korea, media coverage and all of that can only tell you so much. That's why I dislike the term "national hit" , it's really just a term to make someone's favorite song seem big.

• cause I guarantee you will not find anyone shaking their ass to EDEM, Spring Day or TTN on the street even though these are the longest charting songs on Melon.

I-

💗 on Twitter: "When someone wants 5 halos and 1M diamonds for their halo  because it's “rarer” chile 🤦🏻‍♂️… "

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• This is what i meant but you explained it better than me lmao.

Anyways i agree with you

• The top 2 comment on the article you linked is saying that Red Flavor is not popular enough to be alongside growl and cheer up LMAO :D

yeah because it come from pann and we all know how pann will never translate good comment when it's about RV :pepe-sad:

but the comment on theqoo were all mentionning spring day, red flavor, cheer up, growl and DDDD

• Yeah the term "national hit" is pretty outdated as there's no set criteria as to what determines a national hit. Using the "they don't dance to it in Korea!!11!" argument isn't valid cause I guarantee you will not find anyone shaking their ass to EDEM, Spring Day or TTN on the street even though these are the longest charting songs on Melon.

spring day national hit status doesn't come only from his charting but the fact that it's one of the most song play in Karaoké proving that it does have the cultural impact on the nation to back it up their charting and give him the title of national hit

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!