I think it's far-fetched to say a group has peaked digitally until they're on hiatus or disbanded.

• Then according to your logic BP would have peaked a long time ago since they have long times of inactivity. I still stand by let’s wait for their career to end. They don’t necessarily have to officially disband but when they don’t resign their contracts can be used as a point

AIIYL to Square Up - 11 months

Square Up to KTL - 10 months

As I said earlier, the only time that BP spent more than a year without releasing new music was KTL to HYLT.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I can see what you mean, but we all know some groups have relatively peaked already digitally. That’s not to say that they can not get another hit. Wonder Girls got a hit with Why So Lonely in 2016, but they digitally peaked before then.

Most Kpop groups release frequently in their active periods, so it’s easier to know when they peaked. They strike while the iron is hot. Since most of your examples are girl groups, BP is an anomaly. KTL still did on par with other groups that year when they didn’t promote it almost at all in Korea. Not every group is digitally consistent nor do they have the hold on the GP to go on a long hiatus & still do well. MMM, RV, and Twice all can still get hits, but it looks more & more likely that the time where they could release back to back to back title tracks in a year & every one would hit the top 10 is looking less likely.

Wonder Girls is a great example, yes. They peaked in 2008, but still had hits in 2010, 2015, and 2016.

I can use this for BGs too, but yeah your point still has merit.

I still don't think it's right to pick out one song as a peak until hiatus or disbandment.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• AIIYL to Square Up - 11 months

As I said earlier, the only time that BP spent more than a year without releasing new music was KTL to HYLT.

AIIYL to SU was basically a year. It was 10 days from being a year. But these are a long period of breaks. BP has the longest amount of periods between their releases in their generation. It’s very abnormal. Kpop groups in their heyday do not go on hiatus for longer than 6 months.

• AIIYL to SU was basically a year. It was 10 days from being a year. But these are a long period of breaks. BP has the longest amount of periods between their releases in their generation. It’s very abnormal. Kpop groups in their heyday do not go on hiatus for longer than 6 months.

I don't count AIIYL to SU since it's not at least one year.

BP is probably going to be the one exception to this pattern I stated in OP.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• AIIYL to Square Up - 11 months

My point still stands. We would have been debating over their peak when we all know they haven’t retired yet. Your logic doesn’t factor in exceptions like Brave Girls too who suddenly got a revival this year and I’m sure there are more scenarios like that which can also happen.

I am lost. Is there some sort of discussions you wanna make about artiste’s peak or something that can’t keep you waiting?

• Most Kpop groups release frequently in their active periods, so it’s easier to know when they peaked. They strike while the iron is hot. Since most of your examples are girl groups, BP is an anomaly. KTL still did on par with other groups that year when they didn’t promote it almost at all in Korea. Not every group is digitally consistent nor do they have the hold on the GP to go on a long hiatus & still do well. MMM, RV, and Twice all can still get hits, but it looks more & more likely that the time where they could release back to back to back title tracks in a year & every one would hit the top 10 is looking less likely.

I don't think that RV were ever consistent, due to their dual concept approach and SM's habit of doing experimental, non-standard stuff with their groups.

Mamamoo's ballad might have underperformed digitally (for now), but that might be because of it being a ballad and less about interest in the group, so we'll see how it goes when they come back with a more upbeat song.

Same for RV and TWICE, RV's latest comeback was a success but also 1.5 years ago and TWICE's latest comeback might have done less well but TWICE's overall popularity is still on a high level, so we'll have to see how it goes with their next comeback.

As for BP, if you're on a top level as BP and BTS are currently at, even a song that performs less well than former songs will still do great digitally due to a massive fanbase and the massive public and international interest in the groups. So lesser peaks or small dips can pass by unnoticed due to them still performing relatively well on charts. That said, BP and BTS still seem to be on a continuing rise, in such a trend even less performing songs and comebacks are just stepping stones towards the next, even higher peaks.

Overall good examples of relative peaks are both SNSD and 2NE1: sure, they might come back after a long hiatus with IGAB in 2013 and Come Back Home in 2014, and they might still do great with it - but it doesn't equal some of their former peaks when they were at their ultimate peak heights of popularity and success.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• My point still stands. We would have been debating over their peak when we all know they haven’t retired yet. Your logic doesn’t factor in exceptions like Brave Girls too who suddenly got a revival this year and I’m sure there are more scenarios like that which can also happen.

I am lost. Is there some sort of discussions you wanna make about artiste’s peak or something that can’t keep you waiting?

I mean I don't about you, but I saw people doubting whether HYLT would do well given their 14-month hiatus, some of them were Blinks.

Brave Girls never really had any sort of hit or peak to speak of until Rollin blew up, a song going viral years after release is more of an outlier than an exception.

To answer your last point, both.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Girl, you earned Best Answer.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!