I think it's far-fetched to say a group has peaked digitally until they're on hiatus or disbanded.

• Once a group has fallen into a period of inactivity for at least a year, then one can start analyzing when their peak was on the charts.

Releasing songs that underperform doesn't stop a group from releasing songs that become hits.

BTS didn't have a real chart-topper until FIRE, almost 3 years into debut.

BP released KTL and then HYLT came after.

RV released RBB, Zimzalabim, + Umpahx2 then released Psycho.

Mamamoo had Wind Flower and gogobebe, then released HIP.

TWICE released a weaker song in Signal, then followed that up with 6 hits in a row. Even now, there seems to be hype for Alcohol-Free after 3 underperformances.

Do you get my point?

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Some people are just to fast to call a Group “peaked” by just one Song underperforming or not doing as well as their previous release.

This is so true.

But people will say a group has peaked when they are clearly releasing songs that are just as big, if not bigger, than past songs.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• BLACKPINK pretty much every year until disbandment at this point.

So far the only period they were on hiatus for more than 1 year was KTL to HYLT, and that certainly didn't stop them. Plus with a track record like theirs, BP is fine.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Yes, exactly.

But some fans rush to call one particular song a peak even if there were several hits released after it.

Well, you can describe it as relative peaks, where if 1 song did exceptional and other songs good, then that song would be their peak.

I see it more like a mountain range, but then over time: you can have a mountain top that's highest, but doesn't mean there aren't other mountain tops in that range too.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Well, you can describe it as relative peaks, where if 1 song did exceptional and other songs good, then that song would be their peak.

I see it more like a mountain range, but then over time: you can have a mountain top that's highest, but doesn't mean there aren't other mountain tops in that range too.

I really like this response. Of course, there is going to be that one song that stands out, but having other big songs is what cements you as a top act and what you get remembered for.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• yesss, you can only determine when a group's peak was in hind sight, because as long as they're active, you never know what direction their career can go

[+808,8] Jennie wears high heels larger than your oppa's dick, sit down

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

• Then according to your logic BP would have peaked a long time ago since they have long times of inactivity. I still stand by let’s wait for their career to end. They don’t necessarily have to officially disband but when they don’t resign their contracts can be used as a point

• I can see what you mean, but we all know some groups have relatively peaked already digitally. That’s not to say that they can not get another hit. Wonder Girls got a hit with Why So Lonely in 2016, but they digitally peaked before then.

Most Kpop groups release frequently in their active periods, so it’s easier to know when they peaked. They strike while the iron is hot. Since most of your examples are girl groups, BP is an anomaly. KTL still did on par with other groups that year when they didn’t promote it almost at all in Korea. Not every group is digitally consistent nor do they have the hold on the GP to go on a long hiatus & still do well. MMM, RV, and Twice all can still get hits, but it looks more & more likely that the time where they could release back to back to back title tracks in a year & every one would hit the top 10 is looking less likely.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!