OFFICIAL | Do you have unpopular k-pop opinions?

• Share all your unpopular opinions related to k-pop here ^^

Mine: I'm not a fan of the 2NE1 discography.

I acknowledge their achievements and their influence, but their songs are not for me.

I'm the Coolest and Nicest Once. Worry Not ^^

• intro the new world is better than gee

๐ˆ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐ง๐จ ๐›๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ž๐›๐ž๐ซ๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ๐ข๐ง ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ข๐œ๐ž ๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ฆ ๐œ๐š๐ค๐ž

saay icon Tumblr posts - Tumbral.comsaay icons | Tumblrsaay icon Tumblr posts - Tumbral.com

๐ˆ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐ง๐จ ๐›๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ž๐›๐ž๐ซ๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ๐ข๐ง ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ข๐œ๐ž ๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ฆ ๐œ๐š๐ค๐ž

• Kpop music production is top notch it just lacks originality.

Hm valid - although I'm not sure I agree fully (but that's why it's an interesting topic!) because while often the production is smooth and put together well from a pure sound modulation point of view, there's often a lot of disjointed parts? I know the 'it's noise!' thing is used way too often just for fanwarring, but what can bother me is how it's common to just jump into a 'hype' section or change style too suddenly, if that makes sense?

Like I call it Frankenmusic bc at times it just feels slapped together as opposed to carefully planned out or based on music theory. I love loud, banger music, but I want it to make sense to me from a musical narrative point of view and those beat drops to be earned. The best hiphop and pop producers are masters of making their music satisfying that way. The originality is the other side of it, I agree there - often the best songs in kpop that are laid out well seem like they're heavily influenced by other songs as opposed to fully fresh. (and usually songs a couple of years old at least)

• loona was better before lee soo man but i still like them now

saay icon Tumblr posts - Tumbral.comsaay icons | Tumblrsaay icon Tumblr posts - Tumbral.com

• K-Pop instrumentals, as well layered and mixed as they can be, are out of touch with international audiences due to their low volume.

I'm not talking about EDM (or as some K-Pop fans like to call it, 'noise') music, but that instrumentals in general need to be louder relative to vocals. It's obvious that companies are trying to appeal to international fans yet the chart-topping songs in most parts of Europe/North America/South America have distinct, loud tracks which overshadow the vocals at times.

This has been the trend for a better part of a decade now. I'm frustrated that K-Pop tracks often hide their amazing productions behind vocals for no good reason. Just a few examples of K-Pop songs which did a better job at this (and were subsequently popular among international fans) are Black Swan, Dynamite, Back Door, Feel Good, BOSS, Bang Bang Bang, HYLT, Kill This Love, 4D, etc...

I suppose it's a trait of pop music to have the melody predominantly narrated by vocals but that's quickly fading from relevance even in Pop music. Although some companies / artists are adapting, it's a rather slow process and I feel that it hampers K-Pop's ability to achieve mainstream relevance internationally.

• Hm valid - although I'm not sure I agree fully (but that's why it's an interesting topic!) because while often the production is smooth and put together well from a pure sound modulation point of view, there's often a lot of disjointed parts? I know the 'it's noise!' thing is used way too often just for fanwarring, but what can bother me is how it's common to just jump into a 'hype' section or change style too suddenly, if that makes sense?

Like I call it Frankenmusic bc at times it just feels slapped together as opposed to carefully planned out or based on music theory. I love loud, banger music, but I want it to make sense to me from a musical narrative point of view and those beat drops to be earned. The best hiphop and pop producers are masters of making their music satisfying that way. The originality is the other side of it, I agree there - often the best songs in kpop that are laid out well seem like they're heavily influenced by other songs as opposed to fully fresh. (and usually songs a couple of years old at least)

The thing that makes kpop music different from western pop music is it's mixture of genres, arrangement and unconventional composition. Maybe more experimental? We can't expect Billie Eillish or Twenty One Pilots from kpop. But we can expect unorthodox structure and composition from kpop. Maybe it feels disjointed at first. It's because people are not adapted to it. But listening to it after several times you will realise how those unexpected turns are so smooth & fun. Also western music critics are interested in kpop because of this uniqueness, those unexpected beat & melody changes. I follow one Canadian kpop music reviewer and reading his reviews make me appreciate production quality of kpop music more. At the same time western pop music is losing it's originality too. So I think it is a good opportunity for groups like NCT, SKZ and ATEEZ. They have really great production team. Not to mention NCT has whole western producers. Also their music feels more up to date and original to me.

• The thing that makes kpop music different from western pop music is it's mixture of genres, arrangement and unconventional composition. Maybe more experimental? We can't expect Billie Eillish or Twenty One Pilots from kpop. But we can expect unorthodox structure and composition from kpop. Maybe it feels disjointed at first. It's because people are not adapted to it. But listening to it after several times you will realise how those unexpected turns are so smooth & fun. Also western music critics are interested in kpop because of this uniqueness, those unexpected beat & melody changes. I follow one Canadian kpop music reviewer and reading his reviews make me appreciate production quality of kpop music more. At the same time western pop music is losing it's originality too. So I think it is a good opportunity for groups like NCT, SKZ and ATEEZ. They have really great production team. Not to mention NCT has whole western producers. Also their music feels more up to date and original to me.

I respect that, even tho' I disagree!

I personally think NCT, SKZ, and ATEEZ are mostly using older EDM sounds and production as opposed to the new, hip-hop banger style techniques and layering they would need to sound current? I see the way it's mixed up as very different. I agree on pop being stale, but I think that's why hip-hop dominates in the west and especially America. Much more creativity and interesting sounds coming out of it. Like listening to the top 20 viral songs on AM and Spotify it's mostly HH and it sounds nothing like kpop. Where kpop sounds like old EDM to me.

But I avoid saying 'western producers' because I think great production can come from anywhere in the world, and often I think Kpop, because it pays less, isn't usually using A++ offerings and producers regardless of where they're from? Also, they need more creative rapping and flows to be respected if they're going with the rap-heavy music styles.

So - but I recognize this is just my opinion! - I don't think NCT/SKZ/ATZ will break big until they do have 2021 tiktok sounds if they want to be noisey and they freshen up their rap.

• I strongly agree with your points.

The current trend of hip hop beats extends even into much of today's pop music because it allows for variations, switch ups and distinct beats without getting stale. Good examples off the top of my mind would be Post Malone, Juice WRLD and Lil Nas X.

• Its okay to say an idol is unattractive and still stan them

Saying theyre outright ugly is rude obviously but saying you dont find them attractive doesnt make you a "fake fan". Youre not going to find everyone in kpop attractive, Is it rlly that hard to understand? smh

โšYou are my Celebrityโš

dac7ff0375c2e5330c459a780d3b4bd6f80ba7c8.gifv

• What? I always think it's the exact opposite. I always feel like the instrumental overpowers the vocals and I want to hear richer vocals form the idols

• What? I always think it's the exact opposite. I always feel like the instrumental overpowers the vocals and I want to hear richer vocals form the idols

I also have the feeling that the instrumentals are pretty high volume in K-pop and sometimes it sounds like they are competing with or overpowering the vocals. I also prefer more focus on the vocals.

• This thread contains 55 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!