Kpop idols aren't the gay kings and queens you think they are

• Have kpop fans still not realized that most idols queerbait for fanservice?

I'm not denying nor agreeing with the fact that there are plenty of idols who genuinely want to show support or are gay/lesbian/bisexual themselves, because at the end of the day it's not our business to wonder about someone's sexual/romantic orientation.

However, the Kpop industry has been rising in the U.S., where progressiveness is a lot more normalized than it is in SK. It's logical for companies to try to cater to a larger audience, which means supporting fans in the LGBTQ+ community as well.

Look, I want to give idols the benefit of the doubt and believe that most of them are genuinely good people. But the main things these companies want is money and profit, and there's a fairly large chance that many idols show support because it's convenient, not because they genuinely want to support LGBTQ+.

Just my opinion. You're allowed to disagree :danceb:

out of service

• It's cool if idols support LGBTQ+ community, a lot of their fans are part of it.

But when it comes to their own sexual identity and orientation. idols don't talk about their private life, dating life or sexual life publicly anyway. So it's a bit of a moot point. Whatever sexuality they have, they don't plan on becoming a 'gay pop icon'.

But hey, maybe one day a kpop idol will be twerking on Satan like Lil Nax X too, lol.

• Except for Hyeyul and Michaeng which are real, i agree. Fans gotta stop with their delulu shipping, it's not a good look :rolleyes:

• idk I just listen music :pepe_akorns:

we need more people like you lol. i've seen full blown arguments in twitter and youtube on whether X or Y idol is gay and it's just.. so ridiculous. does it really matter so much to the point where there has to be insults being thrown around? :pepe-back-away:

out of service

• Honestly, I think those stage outfits and makeup especially for boy group members,

I think they treat this just as a concept you know just like a theatre actor or comedian would wear tights, pirate costume, or even a bra.

I'm a bit afraid of different things here, there are many people on Twitter or Reddit who are "forcing" this literally on those teenagers.

Like:

"he is so gay"

"oh she is my fav lesbian girllll"

I remember that there was some theory that 10% of all people in the world are gay.

But even if it means that 90% are straight...

So which should we assume? 1/10 or 9/10 option?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's cool if idols support LGBTQ+ community, a lot of their fans are part of it.

But when it comes to their own sexual identity and orientation. idols don't talk about their private life, dating life or sexual life publicly anyway. So it's a bit of a moot point. Whatever sexuality they have, they don't plan on becoming a 'gay pop icon'.

But hey, maybe one day a kpop idol will be twerking on Satan like Lil Nax X too, lol.

that would be iconic :pepeshock: but they would probably get a lot of hate too.

out of service

• Yeah I'm pretty sure all sane fans know this, it's just the crazy fans who take the bait for fanservice

Although I know most if not all inter group shipping and flirting is fanservice but I won't resort to assuming idol's sexual preferences. It sucks when people do that to you and I hope they are all confident in what they believe and want to be

• we need more people like you lol. i've seen full blown arguments in twitter and youtube on whether X or Y idol is gay and it's just.. so ridiculous. does it really matter so much to the point where there has to be insults being thrown around? :pepe-back-away:

I mean, I don't really think about it and it's really none of our business. Also, we shouldn't be assuming someone's sexual orientation based off of their looks or demeanor or whatever. Skinship between guys is also not that odd in SK, so that could also be culture shock. At the end of the day, we're here for the music, let's have some fun and let's not invade their privacy.

I do have an exception though: If Ten isn't at least bi, then I don't know what to believe anymore.

• I have to admit that, when I first got into kpop years ago, I had no idea what shipping was and the idea that people might spend hours creating videos about idols being gay and in love with several of their fellow group members when they're most likely not... had never crossed my mind either.

Needles to say, I was under the impression that kpop is really wild (for about a week), before it dawned on me that this is all fanservice and a form of fanfiction.

• Yeah I'm pretty sure all sane fans know this, it's just the crazy fans who take the bait for fanservice

Although I know most if not all inter group shipping and flirting is fanservice but I won't resort to assuming idol's sexual preferences. It sucks when people do that to you and I hope they are all confident in what they believe and want to be

agreed.

out of service

• Humm, from what I understand from artists and performers LGBT people are very likely to be over represented in this industry, they just hide it more in SK. The number of LGBT community members in kpop must be 1 out every 7 ou 8 idols i.e. pretty much any big group may have one LGBT idol

What people maybe not understand is being LGBT does not make all the fanservice less fake. It's not because you are gay, lesbian or bi that you are even slightly inclined to make skinship and other kind of interactions with a person of the same genre as you, specially if that person is straight

• I’m annoyed mostly about those weird shipping accounts you can get on Twitter. Like... you have no business of what happening between two member. If they smile at each other it doesn’t mean they doing the dirty once they go back to they dorm. And even if they do it’s not our business. Also how is that sexy for a woman. It might be because I’m an oldie but I just can’t understand them. Muted.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!