What has Aespa done that warrants this much popularity?

• BIG 3

and that's the same for every other 3rd gen & 4th gen BIG3 group. These companies have a lot of exposure and their bands already have a lot of fans before they even start. This is the BIG 3 privilege.

I think anyone who has ever seen interviews with famous artists like BTS, IU or Mamamoo talking about their careers knows very well what advantages BIG3 bands have over everyone else.

“Play your cards somewhere else, it's no kids zone”

540c35db8f01cee440972b32f11372c196b45f73.gifv

• Holy shit. Aespa only got popular cause BP was on hiatus???

Not really. They were already popular even before BP went on hiatus but blinks definitely helped them during next level promos. Interesting and well budgeted AI concept + SM buff/nostalgia + good charting(for success stans) made them irresistible. Also drew you’re so transparent latching on to what i’ve said i like aespa

• Icons and have a lot of talent individually and together 8)

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Not only the multis but actual akgaes and solo stans, pretty much the crazies, that’s why our fandom really got severe with its akgae/solo stan problem in a span of a week. :pepe-sad: their streaming power is really nice tho

I don't know if it has anything to do with Blinks but I did notice the akgae increase this past few weeks, like some are already so dramatic you'd believe their fave has been neglected for years, like Karina and Winter get the ending Fairy thingie today and suddenly it's wartime

• Why are you even surprised that Aespa are doing well and being popular?

Haven't you been in K-pop for a decade or more? Have you turned forgetful or still not learnt to see the patterns?

Big 3 groups have always been doing well - and from what it looks like HYBE is joining that Big 3 privilege - especially the girl groups, the only difference between the various companies is how long it takes them and what their focus strengths will be.

JYP girl groups will have mass popularity straight after debut.

YG groups - boy groups and girl groups - will be strong digital charters straight after debut and have strong international popularity right away due to their western vibe.

SM groups are always the slowest starters of the 3 companies, their popularity will usually take several years to build up to peak level, but they usually have strong album sales.

So far, the 3rd/4th gen groups of the Big 3 have roughly conformed to that pattern, incl Aespa.

As for why Aespa is doing that well, it's the exact same reason that groups of the Big 3 have been doing well since early 2000s.

If you weren't surprised about all those other Big 3 groups doing well the past 10-15 years, you shouldn't really be surprised about Aespa doing well either.

• I don't know if it has anything to do with Blinks but I did notice the akgae increase this past few weeks, like some are already so dramatic you'd believe their fave has been neglected for years, like Karina and Winter get the ending Fairy thingie today and suddenly it's wartime

they managed to harrass a ningningpics acc that has been there for her since smrookies days to the point where it needed to take a break (literally just bec akgaes can’t accept nng is the main vocal) :pepe-cringe: Plus blinks trying to sow discord between rvlvs and MYs last time with the Joy comment. They have definitely been following aespa a lot.

• I don't know if it has anything to do with Blinks but I did notice the akgae increase this past few weeks, like some are already so dramatic you'd believe their fave has been neglected for years, like Karina and Winter get the ending Fairy thingie today and suddenly it's wartime

So damn true. Every comment section on YT is a crazed akgaefest. I never see comments about the group as a whole, it's always singling out one member.

Same with Itzy for that matter, it's nuts. And dont even get me started on Everglow, and how "Forevers" spent all of 2020 bashing the shit out of THE LITERAL ACE of the group, Mia. :mads:

What is going on? Is it only GG that have to suffer through this?

• Not only the multis but actual akgaes and solo stans, pretty much the crazies, that’s why our fandom really got severe with its akgae/solo stan problem in a span of a week. :pepe-sad: their streaming power is really nice tho

I agree about the akgaes issue ;( I saw a tweet of a ningning akgae hating on Winter.

but still many blinks like like other girl groups though they tend to be multi.

The akgae issue is a big problem in Kpop. I read that NCTizens have a an akgae/ solo problem as well and many of them stan aespa too.

it never last, blinks dont really stan this groups bc the same happen with itzy, everglow, gidle

they are liars (also aespa views are due to ads like those other groups)

blinks are just there to be annoying for a while until bp cmb, then be annoying again for bp actual cmb

its rinse and repeat

• Well f(x) didn't get their first music show win until Pinocchio. Two years after debut. They earned their popularity.

• While being under SM is certainly a factor, people seem to be ignoring the biggest reason why people are interested in Aespa, and that's their unique concept and lore. It's not just the "typical girl crush". We can leave that to the other girlies.

Sure other groups have concepts and universes too. But this is the first group I can think of with a universe and story that's pretty straightforward. Most groups will opt for having a vague concept or storyline told through their mvs. But Aespa's is pretty easy to wrap your head around and more direct.

Plus, what makes Aespa stand out is the fact that they directly reference their universe and villain within their songs (with the exception of Forever). Other groups usually stop at the MVs. I wasn't all that interested in them either until I saw the SMCU thing. I hope that they run with this and give us a full-blown concept album for their first full-length. I think that would be so cool and different for kpop. SM better not drop the ball with this one.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!