What has Aespa done that warrants this much popularity?

• This is a serious question and not meant to shade.

Everytime I get reccomend an aespa video on YouTube (dance practice, interview, live stage) it has well over a million views.

Like what is so special about them that they are already breaking records? It's a 4 members girl group singing average music that falls under girl crush. It's hardly new and groundbreaking.

I just cant understand it. I guess this is just the true power of SM. But it's still really head scratching for me.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• > not meant to shade

> proceeds to shade

People just like them. Get over it.

You act like I called them talentless whores. Hardly.

This thread is for people to tell me why they like them and maybe to show me what lead to them storming right out of the gate.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• They are really talented. They are very pretty, Karina alone looks like a goddess. And they are really cute and funny. Plus Next Level is doing extremely well in SK. The best from 4th gen since Melon's chart reform.

Now, they would still gather attention being a new girl group from SM alone, but their charisma imo is what keeps drawing more and more people to them.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• NingNing: *breaths*

1b7d65c1677a23cd44084bbfdbb51a2c68c932b2.gif

Shes really pretty. But there's far prettier.

• In the words of barney stinson: “new is always better”

In this case, the “new” doesn’t necessarily have to be original or groundbreaking. It can literally just be a new version of the same old formula and it’ll still work bc again, people always prefer to check out shiny new things even if they don’t want to acknowledge that lol. You can’t beat human nature. As long as the new isn’t of atrocious quality, with enough marketing and exposure it’ll always blow up no matter how unoriginal it is

Edited 2 times, last by Whi ().

• you don't like them, but others like them.

it not that deep.

I dont like them or dislike them. They are just kind of.....there.

• they're an SM group, yes they're good for a rookie group but the immense hype and immediate gain of a fandom of that size after just three songs would have only happened for maybe 3 other companies.

True. If they weren't from a big label like SM then they would probably be like Secret Number right now and nobody on this forum would care about them.

• Being a SM group might have given them an initial push, but I think people genuinely like them.

They started to get attention because of their concept, and their 'virtual alter-ego'. A lot of people were against it, a lot of people thought it was an interesting idea - nevertheless, it didn't leave anyone indifferent, and people were wondering how it would turn out.

I think their songs are good. Not ground-breaking or anything, but they fill a crave. It's different from other current GG like BP ( despite how much they are compared to them, I personally don't see it ), Itzy, Twice or RV, a very 'in your face' style that a lot of people will not vibe with, but is heavy enough to be remembered.

So yes, interesting concept, good-looking members and catchy songs will make it work I guess :eyes:

• I legit linked a video of her voice of an angel and you talk about her looks only. That's not the point. Aespa is a vocal powerhouse.

Right. Cause that worked out so well for Luna career. Oh wait it didn't. Because Korea did find her attractive.

• 1. they are talented

2. they are pretty

3. they are likeable

and yes you could think that it's just like any other GG

but Aespa have an advantage over other Group

they often spoil their comeback during their interview and performance

without mentionning that LSM said that Aespa lore will extend to their promotions too

that's why in comparison of other Group MY are religiously watching every content about aespa

to see if we can catch new hint about the lore etc.....

which is something other group don't have

+ even if they debuted few months ago, we still don't have a lot of info about how the girls are, how is their personality because of the lack of content SM gave us, that's why MY are watching everything related to aespa to learn more about them

it's not just a question of being big3 or not, every content of Winner doesn't make Millions of views, same for Red velvet, same for Day6.

"Because they are from big 3 " isn't the answer to every question

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• Because they are super talented and wonderful! Aespa is a fresh breath of air to the Kpop industry in my personal opinion! The concept they are taking on is unique, and different! Not to mention their visuals are by far the best imo! Literally all of them are stunning! Giselle is an amazing rapper with a hardcore flow, karina on the other hand has a more chill and relaxed type of rapping style, which is cool! Ning Ning and winter are both powerhouse vocalists!

All in all, Aespa is a group with 4 amazing aces with the personalities to match!

・❥・🖤🤍~A wish your heart makes~🤍🖤・❥

♥︎♥︎

• I think they're all pretty funny, and they go viral a LOT for the most strange things but I think also it's the case of everyone piling on them at first and then starting to see them improving, and then changing their minds.

Luna at first wasn't very highly regarded because while she was an above average singer, she wasn't that great for an SM main vocal but after debut she basically worked and shot up her vocal skill so far that she even SURPASSED Taeyeon in terms of vocal skills. That journey gained her quite a few fans including me. She's my favorite SM main vocal because of it.

I'm hoping Ningning pulls off a similar journey, because I see a lot of potential in her that drew her to me.

That's kinda the case with most SM groups though.

The song was also pretty nostalgic and different which ofc helped them and they gained popularity for that.

• Official Post

Here's another serious question... why does it matter? If you don't like them or aren't interested in them then just ignore them. It's really not that difficult.

• 1. SM

2. they're all conventionally attractive according to both western and korean standards

3. enjoyable music and likeable members

4. they're all decently skilled according to each member's individual role

they're okay but the first two gave them a huge advantage, so i mostly agree with you. i do think their concept is fairly creative despite being "typical girl-crush". SM did a good job by using what's popular and adding a certain twist to it.

out of service

• For me, i was slightly interested just cause they were a SM group, but the members are likable. Winter has definitely been a strong stan attractor (for me anyway). And i think how SM is doing their style (the infamous hair commercial that is their studio choom video).

But before any of that, the SMCU concept really drew me in. It’s interesting see other groups reference Aespa’ concept and that’s made their lore more interesting and accessible. Like i know EXO has lore, but i’ve never really understood it. SM has went ABOVE and beyond to make sure fans/anyone can understand aespa lore and i’m just overall excited to see where i got after they released the 10min SMCU video.

• BIG 3

and that's the same for every other 3rd gen & 4th gen BIG3 group. These companies have a lot of exposure and their bands already have a lot of fans before they even start. This is the BIG 3 privilege.

I think anyone who has ever seen interviews with famous artists like BTS, IU or Mamamoo talking about their careers knows very well what advantages BIG3 bands have over everyone else.

• This thread contains 71 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!