〖🅝⋮🅒〗Drop your unpopular NCT opinion/s

• (Note: This thread is created for civilized, open-minded discussion)

I'll start:

- Haechan's dancing technique > singing technique

(before you all stab me with a knife, I just want to reiterate (if it's still not obvious) that Haechan is my ult and I'm not discrediting his vocal ability, nor saying his voice is subpar)

Haechan probably has one of the most distinct vocal colors in the current k-pop scene, but many fails to realize he sings with improper technique -- he has poor breath support and strains his voice most of the time when he hits high notes. As compared to his co-main vocalists, Doyoung and Taeil's technique is far ahead of Haechan (I would argue that Jaehyun has a better technique than him). It's more likely a sacrifice as he mostly goes for the "stylistic approach" of singing and mostly, nobody cares (like I do) because he sounds good.

On the other hand, Haechan's dancing technique is a standout. He knows how to use his body lines, his facial expressions are always on point , and he's one of the few members who know how to use his body to avoid getting hurt (see his drop in Cherry Bomb or how he glides around in Superhuman).

(But this doesn't matter. His confidence + stage presence covers his flaws and that what makes him an ace idol)

🌻 can you believe its only the beginning? 🌻

1989932d781b234b4649363d3a5299d53eaa97b1.gifv ebae5a75bbd3a7178d4838548283b5cf81e46117.gifv b4bec6927047f7779dccebafdc6d4a9c0fd68682.gifv

• Ehhh I don't know about the technique part since I'm not a trained dancer or vocalist but judging at face value from what I see and hear ---his vocals far outweigh his dancing.... he dances as well as a lot of decent dancers in Kpop but that voice is one of a kind regardless of whatever subtle technical imperfections he may have.....

• oh i agree with you about his vocal technique, he sometimes sounds like he's screaming his high notes

I think pandora's box isn't as good as everyone thinks it is

same. he hits the notes as needed, but he pushes his head voice most of the time. I hope he’ll continue to have vocal trainings for the sake of his career

also agree with Pandora’s Box it deserves the same slander First Love is getting :pepe-back-away:

Ehhh I don't know about the technique part since I'm not a trained dancer or vocalist but judging at face value from what I see and hear ---his vocals far outweigh his dancing.... he dances as well as a lot of decent dancers in Kpop but that voice is one of a kind regardless of whatever subtle technical imperfections he may have.....

that’s why i said that even if his voice, technique-wise, is lacking, it doesn’t matter at all because his vocal tone and stage presence makes up for it. having a good tone is not equal to a good technique

1989932d781b234b4649363d3a5299d53eaa97b1.gifv ebae5a75bbd3a7178d4838548283b5cf81e46117.gifv b4bec6927047f7779dccebafdc6d4a9c0fd68682.gifv

• True, you can tell Doyoung has really been putting in a lot of work to improve his craft.

I agree! And he’ll be on a musical so I bet he did a lot of training for that

Sometime ago someone pointed out that his voice is getting too nasally (idk if I agree with this statement), could it be because of his improper technique?

His voice has been nasally ever since but I think he masks it better than the other members (Yuta’s nasal tone is much obvious) with his high pitch

• Sometime ago someone pointed out that his voice is getting too nasally (idk if I agree with this statement), could it be because of his improper technique?

Nasal singing isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's more that certain people just don't like that type of sound and automatically think nasality = bad.

Ideally, with proper technique, nasality is a stylistic choice that you're able to control and use when appropriate.

With Haechan, I'm assuming it's a both a stylistic choice and just how he's used to singing, because that helps give him his unique signature vocal color that he's known for. Since having a distinctive vocal timbre is really important for pop singers (and he's very well known for his), I'm guessing he's actively choosing to stick to that sound.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• another unpopular take: I didn't enjoy the 24 hour relay cam that much

i know czennies want that "a day in life of <insert bias here>" feel. but in such a personal place like their dorms, it feels very invasive (but that’s one of the reasons why many voted for it). not adding that it's a huge pain in the ass for the members scheduled at an awkward time to finish their vlog (you can almost feel some of the members just want to get over with it). and since they can't go outside because of the pandemic, the contents tend to feel redundant after a while.

the other options are far better IMO:

• Mobile game contest
    • 24 hour relay cam
    • Mafia game
    • Costume video fansign
    • Pajama party
    • Relay mission - they did this by group
    • Relay video letter - sort of happened with VLive

i know czennies want that "a day in life of <insert bias here>" feel. but in such a personal place like their dorms, it feels very invasive (but that’s one of the reasons why many voted for it). not adding that it's a huge pain in the ass for the members scheduled at an awkward time to finish their vlog (you can almost feel some of the members just want to get over with it). and since they can't go outside because of the pandemic, the contents tend to feel redundant after a while.

• Mobile game contest
    • 24 hour relay cam
    • Mafia game
    • Costume video fansign
    • Pajama party

I agree, although some of the relay cams were pretty fun to watch, but I felt a little bad especially for the members who got the late-night slots. Some of them were struggling to keep their eyes open as well as they complained about the fact they couldn't go outside to do something more fun for us.

I would love to see a mafia game among the 127 members, I don't think they've played it in a while?

More cooking videos with chef Taeil would be fun as well.

• I agree, although some of the relay cams were pretty fun to watch, but I felt a little bad especially for the members who got the late-night slots. Some of them were struggling to keep their eyes open as well as they complained about the fact they couldn't go outside to do something more fun for us.

I would love to see a mafia game among the 127 members, I don't think they've played it in a while?

More cooking videos with chef Taeil would be fun as well.

The first relay cam with 127 is actually nice and I think that's what made the czennies want the OT23 version as well without realizing the challenges (time, location/activity hindrances) along the way.

I suddenly remembered the mess with the last 127 mafia game. I would them to play that again. For the Dreamies, they're playing mafia too much I hope they will try something new 2x. WayV can honestly make any content funny.

• Unpopular opinions:

• Firetruck is an actual good song.
    • As much as I love him, Lucas adds nothing to SuperM.
    • WayV's bsides are very mediocre in general, especially when compared to their title tracks
    • Jeno is one of the best dancers in NCT but I rarely see anyone pointing it out. He may not be at the same level as Ten and Taeyong (obvs) but his energy is insane.
    • Haechan's vocals are overrated (given that he has the most lines in NCT songs overall so far), mostly for the reasons stated above. His high notes sometimes are a bit cringe (like the ones in Hot Sauce and 90's Love).
    • Xiaojun is not only one of the most attractive in NCT, he's also one of the most attractive idols in all of Kpop.
    • NCT wouldn't survive without some members, but they would without some others and that's totally okay to admit.
    • Mark should sing more, he lacks technique but his vocals are underrated.
    • I don't think they all get along with each other, which is totally normal when you have a group with 20+ members.

And finally:

• Bad Alive is absolutely terrible and should have stayed in the drafts.

That is all for today. :pepe-tea:

• Unpopular opinions:

• WayV's bsides are very mediocre in general, especially when compared to their title tracks
    • Jeno is one of the best dancers in NCT but I rarely see anyone pointing it out. He may not be at the same level as Ten and Taeyong (obvs) but his energy is insane.
    • Haechan's vocals are overrated (given that he has the most lines in NCT songs overall so far), mostly for the reasons stated above. His high notes sometimes are a bit cringe (like the ones in Hot Sauce and 90's Love).
    • Xiaojun is not only one of the most attractive in NCT, he's also one of the most attractive idols in all of Kpop.
    • NCT wouldn't survive without some members, but they would without some others and that's totally okay to admit.
    • I don't think they all get along with each other, which is totally normal when you have a group with 20+ members.

And finally:

Ooooo some spicy opinions there. I agree with the following:

• "As much as I love him, Lucas adds nothing to SuperM." - Yes this is true. He was mainly added just for visuals. I have wondered if Jaehyun or haechan may have been a better choice but at the same time while Lucas is not as talented at singing or rapping - he does have a lot of charisma (arguably moreso than Jaehyun or haechan) so I understand why he was the choice
    • "Mark should sing more, he lacks technique but his vocals are underrated" - AGREE. But also taeyong too.. I find taeyong's short singing part in limitless one of my favourite parts of that song - his voice is pleasant/sweet
    • "NCT wouldn't survive without some members, but they would without some others and that's totally okay to admit". - TRUE
    • Official Post

As much as I love Haechan's voice, I don't understand why he's a main vocalist in 127. I almost feel like SM felt like they needed to label three of them a main vocal just to fit their brand, but honestly Taeil, Doyoung, and Jaehyun cover the range perfectly.

I do think his vocals suit Dream more, but just because of the songs but also because of Renjun and Chenle's vocals. The three of them (and even Jisung) together give a nice contrast to Mark, Jeno, and Jaemin's deeper rap.

I agree that Mark and Taeyong should sing more. I do like that Taeyong is singing in his solo work. I think his vocals are unique but also hard to slot into typical idol music. Mark however could be a damn solid vocalist if they worked at it.

• I don't understand all the hype with jaehyuns visuals I mean maybe at first but as I've been more exposed to his personality he became increasingly less attractive....there's something so incredibly boring about him

The wayv vocal line leaves a lot to be desired....more so than their songs which are fine. Conceptually I enjoy their stuff.

Yuta is the most beautiful, most interesting and sexiest amongst all of them and I say this because I don't see people stanning him as much as say jaehyun

• Unpopular opinions:

And finally:

• Xiaojun is not only one of the most attractive in NCT, he's also one of the most attractive idols in all of Kpop - THE TASTE

• I don't understand all the hype with jaehyuns visuals I mean maybe at first but as I've been more exposed to his personality he became increasingly less attractive....there's something so incredibly boring about him

He has that "perfect face" in a sense that the others find it boring? (it's like how some describe Yoona, Suzy, and Cha Eunwoo as plain looking)

• As much as I love Haechan's voice, I don't understand why he's a main vocalist in 127. I almost feel like SM felt like they needed to label three of them a main vocal just to fit their brand, but honestly Taeil, Doyoung, and Jaehyun cover the range perfectly.

Unpopular and I like it. My case for Haechan is his vocal placement in 127's songs are considered more than Jaehyun's (it's almost as if the producers has his voice in mind in the certain parts of the song and fully utilizes it to give that song a character). It's easy to cover Jaehyun's parts, but Haechan's aren't.

• Official Post

Unpopular and I like it. My case for Haechan is his vocal placement in 127's songs are considered more than Jaehyun's (it's almost as if the producers has his voice in mind in the certain parts of the song and fully utilizes it to give that song a character). It's easy to cover Jaehyun's parts, but Haechan's aren't.

That's a good point. I feel like Haechan often ends up with some of the most memorable vocal parts because of that. His tone is extremely versatile. Honestly until recently I thought he was just a lead vocalist and not a main vocalist until a thread on this board asked about favorite lead vocalist.

• That's a good point. I feel like Haechan often ends up with some of the most memorable vocal parts because of that. His tone is extremely versatile. Honestly until recently I thought he was just a lead vocalist and not a main vocalist until a thread on this board asked about favorite lead vocalist.

It's truly confusing as some dabs Jaehyun as a main vocal too. It's a great problem to have lots of main vocalist-capable members :pepe-grooving:

• Official Post

I feel like Jisung still doesn't know what to do with his deeper voice or his voice lacks emotion at times, but he's definitely improving and he's becoming one of my favorite members. :pepelove1:

I agree. They accidentally ended up with three members with deep voices and it kind of throws the balance off. I thought they used him well on the Hot Sauce (the song), it's crazy to think that were in a normal group that he'd probably just be starting his career as an idol instead of being 5 years in.

• Official Post

It's truly confusing as some dabs Jaehyun as a main vocal too. It's a great problem to have lots of main vocalist-capable members :pepe-grooving:

For real. I was watching one of their performances and realized that Jungwoo is super underrated as a dancer and a vocalist. In another group he'd probably be a main dancer and a main vocalist (and probably a center to boot.)

• I agree. They accidentally ended up with three members with deep voices and it kind of throws the balance off. I thought they used him well on the Hot Sauce (the song), it's crazy to think that were in a normal group that he'd probably just be starting his career as an idol instead of being 5 years in.

I truly hope they can make him a vocalist instead of a rapper*, he sounds way better when he's singing and it's during the singing parts where his voice shines more. He can be a good vocalist once he learns how to put emotions into his singing, his voice already sounds stable enough when singing live.

*edit: in case they're moved into new sub-units in the near future.

• For real. I was watching one of their performances and realized that Jungwoo is super underrated as a dancer and a vocalist. In another group he'd probably be a main dancer and a main vocalist (and probably a center to boot.)

THIS ^^^^^^^

He is honestly the legit definition of a perfect idol. He has the talent, visuals, and personality.

• Me neither. :pepe-popcorn:

It was a rushed release, just like Kick Back.

• Mobile game contest
    • 24 hour relay cam
    • Mafia game
    • Costume video fansign
    • Pajama party

lmao when Jaehyun did the relay cam thing and it was just him watching La Casa De Papel, not even showing what's happening on the screen (I mean, I know he can't) :pepe-joy:

• Ohhh time for people not to like me fun...

1. some of the members wouldn't of debuted if nct concept wasnt forever expanding

i,e johnny & winwin

1.5 sm's standards are weaker due to the concept.. i think the skill level within nct is shockingly different for certain things

2. dream should remained graduation system

3. jisung isnt a good dancer for a idol classed as a main dancer

4. some members were only ever meant to be visuals... winwin, jeno, jaemin etc

5. only some members are talented enough realise a solo albu

Top tier = these are the only members i think would do well realsing a solo album

[Taeil, Jaehyun, Doyoung, Renjun, Ten, Mark, Xiaojun]

Mid tier = would do ok due to fans and skill level but think A] doesn't suit solo or B] skill is weird alone

[Yuta, Taeyong, Kun, Jungwoo, Haechan, Yangyang, Chenle]

Bottom tier = skill isnt strong enough for solo or cant see them solo at all

[Johnny, winwin, Jaemin, Jeno, Hendery, Lucas, Jisung]

n/a shotaro, sungchan

i could go on but im prob already going get killed from this

Male/Boy NCTzen / Carat / Army / VIP  

:-) You can call me: JJ, Jay, Jason, JB... I don't mind :-)

Bias/bias wrecker [stage names]

Mark/Jaemin.. Hoshi/DK.. Suga/V.. T.O.P/GD

• Honestly, I agree with this. I think Shotaro could do something solo dance-wise, but not as a music artist :eyes:

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• This thread contains 84 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!