Why Are BG Soft Concepts Hated While Darker Concepts Are Celebrated And With GGs Darker Concepts Are Hated And Lighter Concepts Are Celebrated?

• When are boy group released something that is soft or cute the songs are considered "generic", "reused", "commercial songs". But when a song that has a darker concept is is celebrated and considered the best work of that group.

Take BTS, when they released Dynamite, and Butter those songs were considered generic, commercial songs and copies of each other. And it is not just BTS. TXT, Treasure, Exo and many others got hate when the tried something that was considered a lighter/softer concept and "cute". I really don't get it.

When it is Girl groups, lighter and cute concepts are considered unique and different while "girl crush" concepts are called "reused", and "generic". Is it because of people's perception that men should always be cold and masculine while women should always be more cute and lovely?

• ArmyBlinkOnce0

Changed the title of the thread from “Why Are BG Soft Concepts Hated While Darker Concepts Are Celebrated And With GG's Darker Concepts Are Hated And Lighter Concepts Are Celebrated?” to “Why Are BG Soft Concepts Hated While Darker Concepts Are Celebrated And With GGs Darker Concepts Are Hated And Lighter Concepts Are Celebrated?”.
  • idk a thing about boy groups but

When it is Girl groups, lighter and cute concepts are considered unique and different while "girl crush" concepts are called "reused", and "generic".

ppl love hating what's popular bc they're so edgy and not like the other fans wowee

and girl crush is popular now :pepe-hehe:

• Official Post

Eh, I disagree. There are alot of people who dislike boy groups with dark concepts and call their music 'garbage and noise music'. One of the reasons TXT has alot of stans is because they stand out compared to other groups BECAUSE of their bright concepts.

For girl groups, it's just because GC has been taking over and people want something different. Cute concepts used to be hated alot back then when they were the norm(see: early TWICE) so it has nothing to do with perceptions or whatnot. People usually dislike the most popular thing at that moment.

• When it is Girl groups, lighter and cute concepts are considered unique and different while "girl crush" concepts are called "reused", and "generic".

Anyone who says this are trolling or new to kpop. Sure, girl crush gets used a lot nowadays, but cute is the most used gg concept EVER in kpop.

• When are boy group released something that is soft or cute the songs are considered "generic", "reused", "commercial songs". But when a song that has a darker concept is is celebrated and considered the best work of that group

I wanted to make this thread lmao :pepe-hehe:

Dark concept songs are always considered artistic pinnacle while brighter ones are looked down upon. People have works for brains :peperun:

• I disagree. Currently, boy groups with 'darker' concepts are being called 'noisy' and 'generic' whilst groups with 'lighter' concepts are being celebrated for being different.

I honestly think that people love to generalize a 'dark' concept; half of what BG's are doing these days isn't even 'dark'. It's just edgy. A truly 'dark' boy group is like VIXX or ONEUS.

• I like darker concepts for BG and GGs :pepepizza:

Same honestly. This song got me into kpop

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't think this is true. At all.

A lot of people say they want more cute boy group concepts, and pigeonhole every song that isn't bubblegum pop into the "dark concept" category.

People just want to have a problem with anything. Bgs doing dark concepts, they make noise only for fangirls as they eat this shit up. Bgs name brighter songs they are selling out blah blah blah.

• this is very relative, people 'hate' brighter concepts on boygroups but they are ofter way more successful than darker concepts, people 'hate' girl crush but the biggest gg rn was built on this concept. in conclusion, people just love to hate

• Everybody with their own taste anyways, but for sure people hating on bright songs will not take away how most of the successful songs are bright.

I don’t remember the last boygroup dark concept that did well on charts. in fact those are the ones that end up flopping the most.

• Isn't it the exact opposite?

Bgs with dark concept r called generic . People always say bgs should do soft concept.

While for ggs cute concept is looked down on.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• All concepts suffer from overcrowdedness honestly.

It is said Korean gp usually prefer innocent concepts over badass for girl groups, yet lots of bright concept groups flop just as lots of dark concept groups flop too. Truth, whatever the concept there's already enough successful groups for the people to enjoy. Only the k-pop nerds are gonna keep digging for newer groups.

• Maybe it depends upon the subjectivity and preference of people. And what kind of image suit the groups better...

For example, i can't even imagine bp doing a cute concept. For svt, their dark concepts were not that well received.

• You cannot take the opinions of people on Allkpop as a direct representation of every Kpop fan.

Twice have the worst dislike to like ratios on their music videos because people HATED their cute/bright concepts. Calling a concept “overrated” is much better then saying a concept is made for “incels”.

TWICE

30glhdbncad91.gif

• i stan exo since 2013 so yes I was present during Ko Ko Bop era

I’m confused what this user is trying to say

That kokobop is not loved? It’s one of the most universally loved exo songs charting well in both Korea and internationally. The numbers are indisputable and available for everyone to see.

Or are they saying that kokobop is a light concept? Eye- this is the most absurd claim yet :cryingr: :cryingr: :cryingr:

Over all everything op has stated here is wrong.

The only exo light concept that’s questioned is power. And that’s mostly because it didn’t have a great mv and that fueled the hate. EXO’s light concept are always loved and appreciated because it’s accompanied by some amazing vocals and runs.

• ikr that's why I was so confused, kokobop was literally so well received and successful...

i didnt even thought she meant kokobop since she talked about light and cute concepts, which kokobop is definitely not :pepestare:

I don't think she really follows and knows that much about Exo...

• kokobop could've been a lighter song if it didnt have that EDM drop in the chorus :cryingr: that made the song edgier. Otherwise, I vibe with their reggae so much.

ALso are you sure? I think Call Me Baby and Love Me Right was pretty light and poppy sound-wise

• kokobop could've been a lighter song if it didnt have that EDM drop in the chorus :cryingr: that made the song edgier. Otherwise, I vibe with their reggae so much.

ALso are you sure? I think Call Me Baby and Love Me Right was pretty light and poppy sound-wise

Kokobop is not a light concept period. It’s reggae EDM. It’s neither dark nor light. Exo doesn’t work in binaries.

Who said cmb and LMR wasn’t light or peppy?

• Everybody with their own taste anyways, but for sure people hating on bright songs will not take away how most of the successful songs are bright.

I don’t remember the last boygroup dark concept that did well on charts. in fact those are the ones that end up flopping the most.

Fake Love.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• You cannot take the opinions of people on Allkpop as a direct representation of every Kpop fan.

Twice have the worst dislike to like ratios on their music videos because people HATED their cute/bright concepts. Calling a concept “overrated” is much better then saying a concept is made for “incels”.

ugh I remember on another forum that will not be named people were saying we only stanned Twice because we were creepy old men and I was just an innocent 21 year old GIRL GROUP TRASH STAN OK OTHER FORUM THAT WILL NOT BE NAMED :pepecute:

~ ω

• Official Post

I'm okay with people having different tastes, but I specifically hate it when cry about the lack of boy groups doing soft concepts while completely ignoring all the ones who do. Support them! Show these companies that you like it and you want to we more!

Stan Astro!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:cheersc::cheersc::cheersc:

• When are boy group released something that is soft or cute the songs are considered "generic", "reused", "commercial songs". But when a song that has a darker concept is is celebrated and considered the best work of that group.

Take BTS, when they released Dynamite, and Butter those songs were considered generic, commercial songs and copies of each other. And it is not just BTS. TXT, Treasure, Exo and many others got hate when the tried something that was considered a lighter/softer concept and "cute". I really don't get it.

When it is Girl groups, lighter and cute concepts are considered unique and different while "girl crush" concepts are called "reused", and "generic". Is it because of people's perception that men should always be cold and masculine while women should always be more cute and lovely?

you might want to expand your knowledge of Kpop bg outside BTS and gg outside Blackpink. Groups like Astro and Seventeen have been doing bright concepts for many years, while others like EXO saw success and popularity with bright concepts (Call Me Baby, Love Me Right, Unfair, Lucky One, Ko Ko Bop and Power are all bright upbeat songs that charted in top 10 on Gaon charts.)

Currently TXT also seems to be successful with its bright concept.

I would disagree that darker bg concepts get praise. In contrast, darker concepts get much more hate. Groups like NCT, Stray Kids and Ateez get continually slighted at every opportunity as “noise music.”

With gg, your idea doesn’t really track either (the idea that people only want cute gg). One of the biggest hits of last year was “Psycho,” which was most definitely not a cute concept, as well as Mamamoo’s Hip (also not cute)..

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!