about 6 groups debuted so far this year, none looking all that promising. is kpop slowing down?

• pasted-from-clipboard.png

(i think this list might be missing a few extreme nugus like that one group kingdom but its pretty much complete i think)

purple kiss has the most promise overall but rbw is fumbling them so badly i can barely watch

ciipher intrigued me musically but intrigue is not enough and rain is backing them and we all saw what happened with mblaq so i'm not expecting much there

hot issue also has musical intrigue but 0 backing

t1419 channeling school triogy bts a little too hard

tri.be...no

mirae... dsp...no

its been half a year and this is it with no 100% confirmed upcoming hyped debuts. i guess someone could pull through since stayc, enhypen, treasure, and aespa all debuted 4th quarter last year and are now the rookies to watch, but i have to say, im feeling like kpop will hit some sort of turning point soon with this overall lack of anything new or exciting from new groups/new companies. its just not enough. this is also a little concerning bc of how many groups there are stuck in the perpetual middle ground now with only 3 top top groups and everyone else foundering for a distant 4th (depending on what you make of seventeen i suppose)

who's your favorite artist?

• Who knows anyone can blow up.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Which groups from the first half of 2020 were setting the world on fire immediately? :pepewhat:

• People were saying the exact same things back in 2013-2014, look where we are now. Too soon to say it's slowing down.

*big 3 stans were saying that back in 2013. the general kpop international fandom was way more hopeful and hyping of nugu groups back then. bts was the token ifan hype group like an ateez or skz is today from jump. also winner and got7 debuted in 2014 to much hype lol. so it was rlly only 2013 which "lacked promise"

• I had high hopes on Tri.be, but they have been a disappointment this far. But it's a bit crowded right now among the girlgroups, with both a bit older popular groups like Twice, BP, Red Velvet, Gfriend (even if they have disbanded now). Add to that the sudden rise of Oh my Girl, new groups like ITZY, AESPA and more. Not easy to break through among that.

• I had high hopes on Tri.be, but they have been a disappointment this far. But it's a bit crowded right now among the girlgroups, with both a bit older popular groups like Twice, BP, Red Velvet, Gfriend (even if they have disbanded now). Add to that the sudden rise of Oh my Girl, new groups like ITZY, AESPA and more. Not easy to break through among that.

It's definitely crowded. So many groups, big and small. Hard to keep up with everyone and be fair to all of them.

• Lightsum is expected to debut soon, and they're bursting with talented members:

Chowon

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Chowon, Nayoung, Jian

Sangah, Chowon, Juhyeon

Lightsum debut trailer:

So hopefully Cube won't mess their debut and management up too much, the group has great potential.

Also, internationally K-pop has been growing, album sales have doubled to tripled for most groups the past 2 years, and NCT subgroups are easily getting to 2 million album sales per comeback now, something no other group except BTS has been able to do.

On top of that, the success of Brave Girls and Oh My Girl has shown that even midtier and less successful groups can rise to great heights.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Lightsum from cube has some hype, and they say that SM may debut a bg in second half and yg a gg as well, no one knows if they will but there are possibilities...

even if we dont have debuts we can say we have a re-debut kind of situation with groups like Brave girls and now laboum.. they are getting recognition a lot compared so revival is there which isnt much different..

either new groups come to market or old ones finally get famous, its more kpop groups growing

• No one keeps them, they are private companies that are doing business freely. As long as there's a few bucks to make, they'll keep coming. The only thing that we should worry about is if they do shady things with their contracted idols. For the rest, the market will tell whether they turn a profit or not.

The point is the market already told them they aren't sustainable. Those companies survive not from selling music, but from trainee debts

• even if we dont have debuts we can say we have a re-debut kind of situation with groups like Brave girls and now laboum.. they are getting recognition a lot compared so revival is there which isnt much different..

either new groups come to market or old ones finally get famous, its more kpop groups growing

but thats the thing, there's always a trade off. a plethora of groups fall or disband and 1 or 2 groups blows up. the difference between those numbers is the measure of growth and decline, and overall im pretty sure its a decline. 3 ggs blowing up doesnt accoutn for all the bg plummeting or the ggs disbanding like gfriend. js

• Actually, i was shocked at how small Kpop companies are. Many are literally small business level it seems like, even bigger companies like Cube only have 79 total employees and bring in only 25 million USD in total revenue per year. =O

cube.png

• Oh, I get your point. Well, there's not much anyone can do anyway in that regard. Unless the Korean laws change in a way that these contracts are not possible anymore.

I'm sure if trainee debts were ilegal 80% of companies would vanish overnight

Sucks for people who have a dream and can't get into a big company, but kpop is a restricted market. You don't join a start up that promise sending you to the moon just because you failed in the Nasa exam to be an astronaut

• No one keeps them, they are private companies that are doing business freely. As long as there's a few bucks to make, they'll keep coming. The only thing that we should worry about is if they do shady things with their contracted idols. For the rest, the market will tell whether they turn a profit or not.

most of these nugu companies are borderline scams tho and on the verge of bankruptcy. they sign all these trainees into terrible contracts, treat them like shit, promise them things that they cannot deliver, make them live and practice in terrible conditions. any money made is going towards debt with barely pennies going into the pockets of the idols. i agree that kpop needs a huge overhaul to get rid of those types of companies. people with no industry connections should not expect their groups to blow up in this day and age.

• but thats the thing, there's always a trade off. a plethora of groups fall or disband and 1 or 2 groups blows up. the difference between those numbers is the measure of growth and decline, and overall im pretty sure its a decline. 3 ggs blowing up doesnt accoutn for all the bg plummeting or the ggs disbanding like gfriend. js

that has always been the case though?

Not every year has a spectacular debut lineup and who knows who is gonna blow up at what point?

only bts survived out of 2013 debut groups, out of more than 40 groups that debuted in 2012 around 3-4 are still active...

we still have a whole of 7 months to see which rookie does great and which new ones come.. we have had a whole lot of years without a lot of big debuts.. i wont call this slowing down of kpop at all lol

• Actually, i was shocked at how small Kpop companies are. Many are literally small business level it seems like, even bigger companies like Cube only have 79 total employees and bring in only 25 million USD in total revenue per year. =O

cube.png

Cube made 32 million in 2020 but yeah, I agree. Only 32 million for a top 10 public traded kpop company. It's a mid-size business company

• that wasnt rlly my point. this thread is just me pointing to signs in an overall decline in kpop. what happens next year will be the deciding factor on if this was a one off or if it will be a continuous pattern. this thread is just pure speculative conjecture since none of us know the future.

• that wasnt rlly my point. this thread is just me pointing to signs in an overall decline in kpop. what happens next year will be the deciding factor on if this was a one off or if it will be a continuous pattern. this thread is just pure speculative conjecture since none of us know the future.

alright, no one knows maybe your speculation may be true... i probably didnt understand your OP well enough i guess

• Lightsum look promising, and I've seen some hype for them on twitter already. How is rbw fumbling purple kiss? I like the music theyve released so far but haven't kept up with them otherwise.

move on. and marketing their first two songs as predebut tracks didnt help much

edit i seem to have accidentally deleted half of what i typed out so ignore this :(

Edited once, last by aclassyteaparty ().

• I hope so, too much groups already. I would like if kpop had only ~12 companies and only them kept releasing groups

Sounds like what I wish for Japan cause I see soooo many companys co-signing/publish their artists under popular companys like Avex, Sony, Universal, Warner in Japan and almost all people who are co-signed/uplished sonewhere else fail so hard. I mean if you look at for example Avex's Youtube and see all those names and that they release MVs on a daily basis. Non of them has more as like 10K views :(

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• This thread contains 12 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!