Problems with NCT Hollywood in my opinion.

• Even though NCT concept is unlimited amount of subunits and localized groups across the world; for China and Japan and SEA countries; kpop is already popular there and familiar to them so launching a group in these countries under kpop system is easier. However kpop is seen as foreign in the US. Why can't SM launch a regular Western boy group without linking it to kpop that will turn away locals? A Western boygroup with kpop style choreo and fan interactions.

Also the Smtown instagram post that announced it seems to mention only one will be chosen in the reality show. So the rest will be other NCT members or new trainees? All this big reality show for a boygroup and choosing only one winner doesn't make sense.

smtown statement- Two entertainment pioneers are teaming up to find the next K-Pop star in America!

Not to mention SM music is so unconventional even for kpoppers how well it will be received in the West?

• Let Nct breath. Clearly, the concept is not for everyone so look for what suits you and forget whatever doesn't.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Nct has in store for us.

I'm so excited.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The West has shown it doesn’t have a problem with NCT music, which is pretty reflective of the Western music scene. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Overall Kpop is a niche within the music scene in the US but a healthy niche that can fuel sold out shows. Just like the Western music industry, there are Kpop artists making a good consistent living and selling out shows even without mass GP popularity or recognition. I think everyone is looking at this from a lens of a huge group, which I don’t think is necessarily the goal here.

If I consider SuperM, there are a number of fans who came into other SM artists like EXO, Shinee and NCT on the backs of SuperM. Similarly, this group may be more of the springboard to get people to come into the larger NCT brand, whether this specific group is super successful or not.

I’d also note (to the idea that the West “won’t get” NCT), NCT 127 has a solid American fan base. Their last three albums made it into the Billboard Top 200 albums (that’s all albums, not just the Billboard global charts) at #86, #12 and #5 respectively, with Neo Zone being one of the top selling albums in the US of the year. (They also chart 1 or 2 on independent albums and world albums charts.) Now of course people will say only fandoms buy albums, but my point here it that it does speak to the fact there is a healthy and supportive fandom for NCT in the US that also boosted them to a sold out concert tour in 2019. And all of those things happened before Resonance because SM went on a pretty hardcore road show with the group doing everything from National morning shows to the big holiday parade that’s a national event.

NCT is not going to be Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift and that’s okay. Because the US market is so big, even a slice of it can be successful.

F8963BDE-C129-4B83-B29C-11AC4964F464.png

Tl, dr: Lots of American Kpop fans have no problem “getting” NCT or their music.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• NCT is not going to be Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift and that’s okay. Because the US market is so big, even a slice of it can be successful.

Literally the only thing that needs to be said. The problem with the NCT HW conversation is people think it’s a plan to make the next BTS or BP, but although that is a high site goal, the group doesn’t need to be anywhere near that level to be profitable. They can survive off of international fans + w.e size US fandom they create.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!