[Knetz] “Our genre is just BTS” RM reveals how he feels about defining BTS and K-Pop

• “Our genre is BTS

Our-genre-is-BTS.jpg

“I know that many fans don’t see BTS as part of K-pop,” Rolling Stone interviewer Brian Hiatt told RM. “And you, yourselves, have said that ‘BTS is the genre.’ How do you see it?”

RM said, “That’s a very important debate. Because what they call K-pop, that genre is expanding very fast. For example, some so-called K-pop groups have only foreigners, from Europe, India, China, like, everywhere. There are no Korean members, but they do the K-pop thing, they’re switching the parts, and so on. BTS is expanding very fast as well. And K-pop is now so wide. Somebody could say that K-pop is for Koreans who sing a Korean song. That could be K-pop. But what about “Dynamite”? We sing the song in English. But we’re all Koreans, so somebody may say it’s a K-pop song. Or they may say it’s just a pop song, because it’s in English. But we don’t actually really care about whether people see us as inside or outside K-pop. The important fact is that we’re all Koreans, and we’re singing a pop song. So that’s the reason why we said that our genre is just BTS. That debate is very important for the music industry, but it doesn’t mean very much for us members.” cr

original post: theqoo

1. Our leader… Namjoon.. He’s a really great person. I love you

2. The content of the interview is so good ㅠㅠ

3. Daebak, how can he express his thoughts and values so clearly ㅠㅠ Our genre is just BTS! Daebak

4. He explains his philosophy well for an in-depth question

5. Good question and good answer. It was a good interview because I could see at least part of Namjoon’s mind

6. Wow, look at the quality of the interview, I was in awe of each answer as I read it

7. The more I know about Namjoon, the more surprised I am, he’s not only smart but also very wise

8. Thank you, I’ve read carefully, the content of the interview is so good

9. Every time I see something like this, even though he’s my age, I think he’s amazing… How can he think so deeply?

10. After all, people have to be smart.. They’re cool

Source

• It's the go-to response of most musicians and artists honestly. When asked about their genre, all of them tend to reply "oh we don't follow any rules, we're doing our own thing, we don't like to be put into a specific box..." etc. It doesn't mean the entire world around them is not gonna find an appropriate label for them; the record companies are often the first ones to do so as they need to label the group in order to market it towards a target audience.

So yeah, nothing new under the sun. BTS is k-pop and that's ok.

• It's the go-to response of most musicians and artists honestly. When asked about their genre, all of them tend to reply "oh we don't follow any rules, we're doing our own thing, we don't like to be put into a specific box..." etc. It doesn't mean the entire world around them is not gonna find an appropriate label for them; the record company is often the first ones to do so as they need to label the group in order to market it towards a target audience.

So yeah, nothing new under the sun. BTS is k-pop and that's ok.

It’s ok and making a whole paragraph about it, Alex Murphy? ;-)

• 30769885-555F-4627-9EF3-03AE7F92974E.jpeg

First all Indian kpop group

everybody knows how much of a joke kaachi is. same goes for that Indian kpop group. I didn't expect RM to know these clown groups. Even people in my country don't know they exist :confused:

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• The reason ppl are praising RM is because he gave an articulate answer without being disrespectful.

To ppl saying every artist can speak in the same way, I don't think so. I dobt want to name but I have seen artists who gave some stupid and irrelevant answers when asked about the musical direction they wang to go or the inspiration behind their work.

It's not a sin to appreciate someone who answers a question honestly.

• The reason ppl are praising RM is because he gave an articulate answer without being disrespectful.

To ppl saying every artist can speak in the same way, I don't think so. I dobt want to name but I have seen artists who gave some stupid and irrelevant answers when asked about the musical direction they wang to go or the inspiration behind their work.

It's not a sin to appreciate someone who answers a question honestly.

It was an articulate answer, true. All I'm saying is this kind of answer is quite commonplace among musicians and artists. I've read band interviews for many years and I always found funny how these groups systematically dodged when it came to their genre. They always refute labels and claim their uniqueness even though the fans never had any problems labelling them one way or another.

The fact is, labels and genres have a purpose. They're descriptive and informative in a few words. If someone asks what is AC/DC, you gonna tell them they're a hard rock band. It will be enough to give a broad idea of what AC/DC is playing. But if someone asks what is BTS and you tell them BTS is just BTS, it doesn't tell anything. It's non descriptive, non informative. It's like opening a dictionary for the word 'scoundrel' and the entry you find is "a scoundrel is a scoundrel who does scoundrel things". It's bogus.

If I engaged in this discussion, it's only because I already saw this kind of argument about how BTS is not k-pop, they're btspop or whatever. And I think it's a very silly stance. If BTS are not k-pop, why are we talking about it on a k-pop forum? Let's be real.

• Kim Namjoon, the person with IQ 148, the person whom South Korea sees as their future president, the person who is the leader of the world's biggest band ever......

Satisfied the South Korea with his answer.

Marveled Intellectuals.

Left kpop stans pissed over.

If they are kpop or not, it is BTS's really own decision. Not your business. South Korea has no problem with it why you bother?

And people saying why people are so enthusiastic at Namjoon's answer.

Kids, most kpop idols ass get on freeze loading even when interviewer asked them about "Process of Music Making", at that time Namjoon is answering this

Sensitive question with so much intelligence.

even South Korea's president preach on his speech, " BTS & Kpop"...

• Am I the only one to find RM's comment pretentious ?

Love the guy, love the group and what they achieved but they ARE Kpop, whether they like it or not, or think their music is above the other group's music. They are Kpop.

Kpop is growing and evolving but they are still part of the genre.

• Am I the only one to find RM's comment pretentious ?

Love the guy, love the group and what they achieved but they ARE Kpop, whether they like it or not, or think their music is above the other group's music. They are Kpop.

Kpop is growing and evolving but they are still part of the genre.

Apparently saying that is some kind of blasphemy. Because REASONS. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• I know Namjoon's words are difficult to understand but let me make it easy for you all.

He said, "That’s a very important debate. But we don’t actually really care about whether people see us as inside or outside K-pop. That debate is very important for the music industry, but it doesn’t mean very much for us members."

Implying that kpop, a genre, is a very vague concept. It is debate even amongst fans. So let them have that debate. Debate amongst yourselves. Do what you want. Call us what you want. I don't care. We don't care. We are BTS. We do our thing and continue to do so. Peace out.

Adding to this answering why some people are finding this fascinating, it's because whenever artists are asked questions like this and they answer just like RM did here, they act cocky or arrogant or disrespectful. Just read the whole interview peeps.

Edited 2 times, last by onlyfacts ().

• I know Namjoon's words are difficult to understand but let me make it easy for you all.

He said, "That’s a very important debate. But we don’t actually really care about whether people see us as inside or outside K-pop. That debate is very important for the music industry, but it doesn’t mean very much for us members."

Implying that kpop, a genre, is a very vague concept. It is debate even amongst fans. So let them have that debate. Debate amongst yourselves. Do what you want. Call us what you want. I don't care. We don't care. We are BTS. We do out thing and continue to do so. Peace out.

30448a514e738816c72a14f81694cad3.gif

“we never felt so young”

0a768997596edfb15ac5d9f26d04bda8676149e3.gif

• Bts only has 1 song in english, and their last release was a full kpop album.

Bts does not have their own genre... that statement makes no sense honestly.

It’s ok. Not everyone can understand genius

:okayc:

Kidding aside, I think your knee jerk reaction is thinking that Namjoon was saying their genre is BTS (like they are above any genre). But if you read carefully it’s about him first saying BTS is kpop but then they sang an English song (so are they pop?), but then they are still koreans so are they still kpop? Then he concluded it doesn’t matter. They are just BTS. It’s easier to say that. Just BTS. Maybe he shouldn’t use the word genre but hey, that’s Namjoon.

Implying that kpop, a genre, is a very vague concept. It is debate even amongst fans. So let them have that debate. Debate amongst yourselves. Do what you want. Call us what you want. I don't care. We don't care. We are BTS. We do out thing and continue to do so. Peace out.

That was actually my point all along. Groups and artists usually don't care much about labels. Most of the time they picture themselves above genres and labels, rightfully so or not.

• Official Post

Bts only has 1 song in english, and their last release was a full kpop album.

Bts does not have their own genre... that statement makes no sense honestly.

I can tell the statement is confusing you.

My interpretation is that RM is saying it is hard to define what kpop really is and he doesn't know either because their music is not just of one "type". So he just says the genre is BTS cause while they are passionate about their music and are proud to call those songs their own, he does not see it as just one type, thus it's hard to label it like its all just one genre.

google says kpop is just korean popular music.

Always thought any Korean music is kpop...

I think your answer supports my interpretation of his words above All Korean music is KPOP?

So does this mean you think the trot music by Lim Young-woong is KPOP too?

Do we have a name for all English music then? Why bother with labels like pop or rock or jazz or metal?

• tenor.gif

“we never felt so young”

0a768997596edfb15ac5d9f26d04bda8676149e3.gif

• Personally i just felt like it made no sense xD

Apparently the philosophical statements & words of intelligence are not for all & of couse not for peeps.

No wonder why most kpop groups suck at lyrics. It is normal when their listeners suck at reading. And actual music critics don't give F about Them.

Glad at least South Korea understand the wise words of their future president & current one & only "National Treasure & pride".

Borhae South Korea.😉

• This thread contains 33 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!