why is overeating not frowned upon like undereating

• just to be clear, this is not about shapes and sizes of people, but rather the shapes and sizes of their plates

no matter whether a person looks capable or incapable of eating a certain amount, undereating is nearly always frowned upon and criticized openly as it shows concern about the person's health

is the judgment always correct? NOPE. Not even close to often cause not everyone follows a person's diet throughout the day.

Regardless, its seen as a reasonable reaction. Perhaps understandably so.

Yet when a person eats more than he clearly needs to, even if he's hungry, not much of that criticism comes it. Especially if that person doesnt look that heavy, some people often seem almost glad to be feeding them way more than is healthy.

something doesnt add up

• i don't rlly think this is a one for one comparison tho. bc people who are visibly heavier, or simply just perceived as chubby or overweight by their family or friends, DO get ridiculed for how much they're eating quite often.

who's your favorite artist?

• i don't rlly think this is a one for one comparison tho. bc people who are visibly heavier, or simply just perceived as chubby or overweight by their family or friends, DO get ridiculed for how much they're eating quite often.

true

which is why i mentioned its not about the size of the person because that WILDLY affects people's perception of their diet

its about the same person who could be fine with either getting encouraged to overeat but not to undereat

• If I am not wrong, both are frowned upon. Of course, both undereating & overeating can be a problem (though it depends on the personal reason behind it), just as much as overeating can. But in no way, do I don't want to limit or tell someone how to eat, as we can consume different amounts of food compared to each other.

As you mentioned, many do judge a person's consumption of food based on their body. And that needs to stop.

work in progress

• is it?

do you hear the statement "dont eat so much you look healthy" or "dont eat so less, you dont need to diet you look fine" more often ?

Yes, I read it. But it is frowned upon in the west. If you eat a lot, you’re considered a glutton, if you eat less, you’re a bird. I’ve had that myself. There’s no fine balance in my eyes.

• In some cultures it can be seen as rude to not eat a lot of food when you're with people or a guest, as if it's a rejection of their love or effort.

I will eat more to be polite sometimes.

It's a sign that you are enjoying yourself and like the food and they'll feel like their responsibility is fulfilled. I'll tell you that no one leaves a visit to our house without being fed. Food and hospitality is the way many of my family members bond with people or show they love them.

In asian families it can go both ways though, they don't hold back if they think you're overweight or at least need to eat less.

Showing restraint and eating healthy, smaller portions is usually admired though, because it's what we should be doing even though modern society makes it difficult and let's face it, eating food is nice and can be addictive.

I can't eat much in one sitting and sometimes people will compliment me by saying that's how I maintain my figure and then maybe say a disparaging thing about their own body. I'm not super skinny though.

If someone is not eating enough it still could be a sign that something is bothering them, although it's still rude to try and shame or ridicule someone for it, especially if they're a stranger.

Eating disorders are on the rise and the media, especially certain social media platforms, is said to be one of the major causes. People do feel ashamed to eat and feel shame after, even if we are not the type of person to overeat constantly. So I understand why we try to encourage other people to eat, to find joy in it again and not stress too much if we don't have a great diet. Life's too damn short.

Did you know there is a link between poverty and overeating? And trauma and overeating?

I will say something if someone is overeating in front of me to the point they will throw up because they will feel like crap afterwards. Otherwise though I want to be empathetic towards their circumstances.

The people who genuinely get upset at others for eating less at events because they think those people are doing it on purpose to make them feel bad and want to "flaunt" their restraint, they just need to stop. Yes, these people exist, they think that thinner people's eating habits are a personal attack on them.

• My parents: "You look fat! You should start exercising!"

Me: I hate exercising

you're totally missing the point here

im talking about those who comment on eating habits of those they dont usually eat with

your parents know your daily habits

if they comment on your activity or diet, they might actually be right and saying it with practical reasoning

• I barely eat, for breakfast I get lemon juice and a banana. Sometimes a horrible tasting shake. For lunch the same things my parents eat but I don't eat that much of it because the food quality is horrible and for dinner. Well sometimes nothing. Maybe a few spoons of nutella.

• I barely eat, for breakfast I get lemon juice and a banana. Sometimes a horrible tasting shake. For lunch the same things my parents eat but I don't eat that much of it because the food quality is horrible and for dinner. Well sometimes nothing. Maybe a few spoons of nutella.

you eat literally nothing and your parents still dont want you to eat?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!